Sd Fat Corrupt

Kalakian

Still Fresh
I've got an annoying problem where the FAT on my SD card keeps on getting corrupt. It works fine for running games etc, but sometimes when I put on a lot of files, it appears fine on windoze, but as soon as I put it into the GP2X it's f*ked.

When I go into game, music or utils, there are no files, but I go into explorer and there are loads of folders with garbled names. Same appears when I put it back into my card reader.

The card is formatted as FAT32, and it seems to happen when I put my mp3s on the card. Could this be something to do with the length of the filenames?

Edit:I tried putting the mp3 with longest filename I have with me onto the SD card, in the folder structure it was in b4, and it still works fine, so now I have no idea - except maybe a dodgy SD card. I'll try more tests when I get back home

Kalakian posted on Dec 1 2005 at 09:56 AM said:
I've got an annoying problem where the FAT on my SD card keeps on getting corrupt. It works fine for running games etc, but sometimes when I put on a lot of files, it appears fine on windoze, but as soon as I put it into the GP2X it's f*ked.

When I go into game, music or utils, there are no files, but I go into explorer and there are loads of folders with garbled names. Same appears when I put it back into my card reader.

The card is formatted as FAT32, and it seems to happen when I put my mp3s on the card. Could this be something to do with the length of the filenames?

Edit:I tried putting the mp3 with longest filename I have with me onto the SD card, in the folder structure it was in b4, and it still works fine, so now I have no idea - except maybe a dodgy SD card. I'll try more tests when I get back home
I'm having the same problems. Fine when I just put on a few games or MP3's but when I transfer a lot of data (like a full movie or many MP3's) and put it in my gp2x the data is corrupted. Same folders with weird names.

My wife ran into the same issues with her SD card for her Palm but if she uses a USB cable instead of the card-reader there are no problems (so file-names, amount of data on the card or the card itself don't seem to be causing this)

We both have a 1GB Kingston SD card and the card-reader is a cheap Sweex 6-in-1 reader/writer.

Edit: I just transfered a lot of MP3's to my SD card, ejected the card, removed and reinserted the card and I'm seeing the same weird folders. The same behaviour without even using the gp2x. Must have something to do with the card-reader.

Last edited by a moderator:
raven posted on Dec 1 2005 at 12:11 PM said:
Edit: I just transfered a lot of MP3's to my SD card, ejected the card, removed and reinserted the card and I'm seeing the same weird folders. The same behaviour without even using the gp2x. Must have something to do with the card-reader.
Yup, I just tried and got the same, so it seems to be the card reader/OS/drivers at fault. I have a TwinMOS 7in1 card reader running on XP.

I Remember one time My SMC card screwedup and had 6 gb's of data on it even though it was a 128mb LOL

Drak posted on Dec 1 2005 at 06:47 PM said:
I Remember one time My SMC card screwedup and had 6 gb's of data on it even though it was a 128mb LOL
If you can remember how to do that again, let me know so I can turn my 1Gb into a 48Gb :p

Kalakian posted on Dec 1 2005 at 09:49 AM said:
Drak posted on Dec 1 2005 at 06:47 PM said:
If you can remember how to do that again, let me know so I can turn my 1Gb into a 48Gb :p

If you had a gp32 u should know what im talking bout ill tell u what I did :p

Ok. You know how you use GPDRIVE to write stuff onto your gp32? Well anyway it always tells u to press select to exit it safely. Im like screww that.. so for like 3x in a row I just turned it off after I put roms.. etc on the sd card.

BAD IDEA i started noticing my file names were changing and my save states would change spots. Sometimes good, sometimes bad hahaah.

Checked to see wtf was wrong with it and BAM the gigs of trash on it, I even checked out '[properties]' and it said i had 6gb full but it didnt say how much space the disk had -.- haha

So ya... around 1/2 the files were unaccessable, but most of them I could open up.

you guys sound like you are having a user-fault problem .. basically, you should not remove those cards unless you have ejected them; on windows you **have** to eject the SD card before you use it, on OSX you get a warning if you pull the card out before ejecting, etc.

under OSX, i do 'sync;sync;sync; diskutil eject /Volumes GP2x__' before i pull the card out, and my reader shows me when its safe to remove the card and when it isn't ..

i'm currently writing an SD-formatter.gpe for the GP2X, and we'll soon see if the use of ext3 and linux-based tools for SD administration will smooth out this issue. its possible that if you format the SD on the GP2X, then use the USB Filesystem gadget (USB connection feature) to put files on the disk, filesystem 'bitrot' issues will be reduced.

of course, this means the loss of FAT32 use, but i can mount ext3 SD cards on my 'other' computers (linux/OSX) and use them, so i'm not sweating the loss of a filesystem i have very little interest in ..

torpor posted on Dec 1 2005 at 09:59 AM said:
you guys sound like you are having a user-fault problem .. basically, you should not remove those cards unless you have ejected them; on windows you **have** to eject the SD card before you use it, on OSX you get a warning if you pull the card out before ejecting, etc.

under OSX, i do 'sync;sync;sync; diskutil eject /Volumes GP2x__' before i pull the card out, and my reader shows me when its safe to remove the card and when it isn't ..

i'm currently writing an SD-formatter.gpe for the GP2X, and we'll soon see if the use of ext3 and linux-based tools for SD administration will smooth out this issue.  its possible that if you format the SD on the GP2X, then use the USB Filesystem gadget (USB connection feature) to put files on the disk, filesystem 'bitrot' issues will be reduced.

of course, this means the loss of FAT32 use, but i can mount ext3 SD cards on my 'other' computers (linux/OSX) and use them, so i'm not sweating the loss of a filesystem i have very little interest in ..

They probably are, You got down to the bottom in windows and do safely remove hardware for anything like this.. Digital cameras, gp2x, gp32, mp3 players, ipods, etc.

hehe I want my gp2x. they better gib to me soon or imma cry.

torpor posted on Dec 1 2005 at 06:59 PM said:

i'm currently writing an SD-formatter.gpe for the GP2X, and we'll soon see if the use of ext3 and linux-based tools for SD administration will smooth out this issue. its possible that if you format the SD on the GP2X, then use the USB Filesystem gadget (USB connection feature) to put files on the disk, filesystem 'bitrot' issues will be reduced.

Nope, I do eject the card before removing it. I don't have any problems with the SMC cards for my GP32 or with a smaller MMC (128 MB) card and I never have any problems when I write small amounts of data only when I transfer a whole movie or a lot of MP3's.

Edit: you could have seen this already if you would have actually read my post :rolleyes:

Nope, I do eject the card before removing it. I don't have any problems with the SMC cards for my GP32 or with a smaller MMC (128 MB) card and I never have any problems when I write small amounts of data only when I transfer a whole movie or a lot of MP3's.

Edit: you could have seen this already if you would have actually read my post

Have you tried using FlashFXP i use it for my xbox because whenever I transfer files normally they sometimes screw up :p

If at first you don't succeed... give up and use the gp2x cable instead :)

I tried everything to get my card reader to write a lot of files to the card without corrupting, but nothing works. Either my card reader sux or xp just doesn't like it. Anyway, using the usb cable i can transfer to the gp2x directly with no problem other than usb 1.1 complaining its too slow and the device not being recognised on usb 2.0 ??? <_<

Kalakian posted on Dec 1 2005 at 08:55 PM said:
If at first you don't succeed... give up and use the gp2x cable instead :)

I tried everything to get my card reader to write a lot of files to the card without corrupting, but nothing works. Either my card reader sux or xp just doesn't like it. Anyway, using the usb cable i can transfer to the gp2x directly with no problem other than usb 1.1 complaining its too slow and the device not being recognised on usb 2.0 ??? <_<
I mailed Sweex about my cardreader problem, hope they will reply someday. All my ports are USB2.0 so I hooked up an old powered USB hub and switched to using the cable too.
So far I have three problems with the gp2x:
- it can't connect to USB2, this is just silly for a modern handheld and should be fixed.
- I can't use my SD card to upgrade the firmware, not a big problem I'll buy an extra card but also a little silly and doesn't make GPH look good.
- the GP32's stick is a bit too loose, this one a bit too stiff, maybe the next GP will be just right ;)

raven posted on Dec 1 2005 at 06:07 PM said:
Ejecting the card tells windows to write any remaining data. If you only copy small amounts of data then either the data is written long before you eject, or the eject writes the remaining data very quickly, but with large amounts of data the eject can actually take a while to complete and it's not always clear if it's finished or not. Keep an eye on the card reader light and make sure it's finished before you remove the card (sometimes it may seem to pause for a second or two then continue again). It certainly sounds to me like even though you've ejected the card reader hasn't quite finished and you're ripping it out halfway through a write which will mess up the FAT.

No joy woogal. I formatted my card and copied one movie to it. Waited for the transfer to be finished, waited another 5 minutes, checked the filesize, everything alright, eject the card, take it out and reinsert it and it's corrupted again.

One file, size is correct but it can't be played and when I look at the properties for the card it says it's completely full (should still have 280 MB remaining).

Back to the USB cable...
Does anyone know if the gp2x and USB2.0 problems are hard- or software related?

Back