I Need Convincing To Buy A Gp2x

-Ace- posted on Aug 27 2006 at 09:01 PM said:
As alway's that will all be cracked too in time. If you want more emulators with more support/ much bigger community, then PSP is your handheld- just try and get an earlier version from ebay, or elsewhere, and save yourself some headaches. Psp looks and feels like much more in your hands too if that's a condiseration of yours. The Gp2x feels like a cheap toy. Don't get me wrong, I have one and like it, just doesn't get a whole lot of time- least until a new psx emu comes around.

The PSP definetly has a far superior SNES emu than the GP2X does. Too bad the screen ghosts so much and everything is stretched out and distorted to fill the screen though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an unbias answer as I was in the OP's same situation about getting a gp2x.

is still seems you get crappy battery life out of the device.
- control stick is not that good.
- not sure if the screen problem is fixed.

i"ve been looking at the gp2x since nov of 2005.

I guess I'll just wait till a new hardware version comes out that have
- dpad
- better screen with no "scan line"
- better life. (or at least let me add say 4x AAA ) bettery

I'm going to stay away for now

That's ok, it is for people that appreciate INTERESTING NEW HARDWARE, that allows more... For Less.... B)

- Crappy battery life ?, untrue.

- Control stick isn't that bad, it depends on the games it is used on, and how they were coded.

- No screen problems, no scanlines, very bright clear display ( MK 2 )

geniv posted on Aug 27 2006 at 06:28 PM said:
- dpad
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=31289

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=29038&hl=

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=31305

Didn't know all of this did ya?

geniv posted on Aug 27 2006 at 03:28 PM said:
is still seems you get crappy battery life out of the device.

4 - 5 hours doesn't seem crappy to me, also I carry around an extra pair of AAs making it 8 - 10 hours.

- control stick is not that good.

It is true that the control pad isn't the best, but it definately isn't the worst.

- not sure if the screen problem is fixed.

I don't know what you mean by "screen problem" but I can't find any problems with the screen.

I own a Mk.II by the way.

I'm actually one of the rare ones that thinks the joystick is excellent. I have no problems wheeling off fireballs and dragon punches at will. In fact, I probably wouldn't have bought the device if it had a regular d-pad. (I have a Mk2 btw)

subcon959 posted on Aug 28 2006 at 02:49 PM said:
I'm actually one of the rare ones that thinks the joystick is excellent. I have no problems wheeling off fireballs and dragon punches at will. In fact, I probably wouldn't have bought the device if it had a regular d-pad. (I have a Mk2 btw)

Do teach us, oh master of shoryuken :) I have yet to pull off a single dragon punch in SF2 on the SNES emu.

Yep my MK2's stick is fine as well. Not great, but it's acceptable.

- Alex

I like the joystick as well. It takes a little getting used to, and its a bit tight at first, but then it loosens up.

The build quality is good, too. To me the PSP feels like a brick of electronics in your hand, whereas the GP2X feels more balanced.

Just be sure to get some decent rechargeables, and a cheap card reader. The TV out cable is worth it, too. Don't buy the case or wrist string though, they suck. I just use and old GBA case (I stick it in the zipper compartment, not the front compartment. The front compartment crushes the stick).

Oh and, you'll have a good experience if you read the readme's for everything you use.

BobBorakovitz posted on Aug 29 2006 at 01:41 AM said:
Blah posted on Aug 28 2006 at 06:30 PM said:
Oh and, you'll have a good experience if you read the readme's for everything you use.

good answer :p

Shikaku posted on Aug 27 2006 at 06:34 PM said:
- dpad
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=31289

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=29038&hl=

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=31305

Didn't know all of this did ya?

See thats the thing with the GP2x. you have to make all those compromise and do it yourself.. which cost extra money..

let see..
1- I have to open it and mod my own D-PAD
2- from the link about the screen. they didn't really say anytyhing about it being much better.. but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that the MKII screen is better.
3- have to go through extra $ to get high capacibility battery..

no thanks for now. as I seem to have to jump through hoops and spend extra $ to get the satisfactoin out of the device I need..

but hey if you guys are ok with these then more power to you. for me I just want it to be my expectation right out of the box instead of tinkering with it.

It's like someone selling me a new car:
- Yes this car have a range of 500 miles on one fill up but you have to buy a bigger size gas tank from somewhere else
- Yes this car handle control well but you have to open the hood and change to a better steering wheel yourself..

geniv posted on Aug 27 2006 at 05:28 PM said:
I'm going to stay away for now

Got my GBAMP for the GBA in 2004 and was happy with the NES and SMS emulation. Wasn't very happy with other emulators.

Got a DS in 2004 but didn't get emulators on it until 2005. Was much happier with NES with higher resolution and some emulators were faster / better but was frustrated by the SNES emulator and other ones that the PSP could do.

I read and read and read and read about all the BS ppl had to go through getting emulators running on the PSP. Even though each firmware got bypassed, I really didn't want to have to go through all of it and then deal with no tv-out, proprietary battery, and memory sticks.

Finally got a gp2x in 2006 and man oh man. drop in games and go. drop in divx and go. no hassles, no problem.

geniv posted on Aug 28 2006 at 09:12 PM said:
but hey if you guys are ok with these then more power to you. for me I just want it to be my expectation right out of the box instead of tinkering with it.

It's like someone selling me a new car:
- Yes this car have a range of 500 miles on one fill up but you have to buy a bigger size gas tank from somewhere else
- Yes this car handle control well but you have to open the hood and change to a better steering wheel yourself..

Actually, it's more like getting a Ferrari, and expecting high fuel economy, a great handling, and a perfect shine forever...

You can whine how much it would cost to upkeep the Ferrari. Or you can change the tires and tighten up the suspension, modify the engine, and clean the damn car...

You're missing the point of the GP2X, the main philosophy of it all, the reason it is doing so well, the reason GP and GPH broke up: IT'S OPEN. You can do whatever the fuck you want with it. I'd like to see you be able to change the joystick on the PSP, or write your own OS to run on the PSP, or any other handheld, emulated or not.

Hmm, I got what I wanted out of the box. Then again, I loaded the SD full of my favorite games 1 day BEFORE I got it.

Then again, I already had several batterys and 2 chargers, some good headphones, and a case, left over (Rest In Pieces, GP32). Its good to have headphones as the speakers are sub-par in my opinion.

Errm I spent £15 on reasonable rechargeables, they haven't let me down yet.

And the MK2 has no scanlines, but worse viewing angle range.

You're wasting your time fellas, this guy obviously doesn't get it. Let him get a Sony or Nintendo and live in blissful ignorance.

EDIT: Just to address the issues...

geniv said:
1- I have to open it and mod my own D-PAD
No, you don't. The joystick is fine.

geniv said:
2- from the link about the screen. they didn't really say anytyhing about it being much better.. but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that the MKII screen is better.
The screen is one of the best I've ever seen. The viewing angle is small but how often do you use a handheld without looking straight at it?

geniv said:
3- have to go through extra $ to get high capacibility battery..
It cost me a fiver for high capacity batteries. It's not even worth mentioning.

geniv said:
no thanks for now
No worries. Have a nice day.

subcon959 said:
You're wasting your time fellas, this guy obviously doesn't get it. Let him get a Sony or Nintendo and live in blissful ignorance.

Actually. I have decided to opt for the gp2x as it seems to have better battery life. less hassle getting emus and roms on there and ive found a seasoned gp2x developer/pro to help me kick things off :)

Back