I Pandora only for gaming ?

M

Mat

My idea is to replace my old HP LX with a more performing device, also to preserve my eyes from decay.

I was thinking about Pandora for my spare time activity which is writing. When i write I also use to read a lot of staff on the internet ans also browsing Youtube. Would you reccomend Pandora as a handheld device for this purpose ?

If you write a lot, you probably need a better keyboard than the one that's on the Pandora. 

Reading stuff works fine with the Pandora - but not sure if it's better than with any other regular LCD. 

Browsing youtube works fine with "The Tube" application. 

I think, you've got 2 options (3 in total): a smartphone with keyboard or the Pandora.

1. There is the Nokia N900 which has about the same specs as a Pandora classic and is completely open (you can even install Ubuntu).

2. The Pandora Rebirth/ 1Ghz with the double amount of RAM and in case of the 1Ghz a faster processor.

3. Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro which is as fast as a 1 Ghz Pandora, but limited to Android.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are people who have written novels, programs, and essays on their Pandora. The thumb typing does take a lot to get used to and it won't be as fast as touch typing a full keyboard but you can do it, and once you've adapted to the size it's pretty comfortable. I use mine for browsing the internet before bed and frequently make web posts even. I can't recommend it for Youtube though; it's not bad but Adobe has abandoned the mobile market regarding the flash player so we're stuck with beta software that still needs some work. Unless the latest Firefox has improved HTML5 video support, I should actually check that out sometime.

For your eyes I'm going to need to ask someone else to comment that has received their Pandora recently. The original batch of LCDs were amazing, then the first 1Ghz that came out had not so amazing LCDs. If that batch is done and they've got the amazing screens again then I say go for it.

The "not so amazing" LCDs were still pretty good, but they were a dimmer with slightly less contrast, harder on the eyes which could be a problem if you're worried about your eyesight.

N3CR0

the solutions are fine

1 and 3 not so because of the screen and keyboard size, theys seem smaller than the Pandora

Pandora with more ram and 1Ghz would be better.

If you write a lot, you probably need a better keyboard than the one that's on the Pandora. 

Reading stuff works fine with the Pandora - but not sure if it's better than with any other regular LCD. 

Browsing youtube works fine with "The Tube" application. 
Someone says this will not work because of some problem with HMTL 5, do you know something about?

There are people who have written novels, programs, and essays on their Pandora. The thumb typing does take a lot to get used to and it won't be as fast as touch typing a full keyboard but you can do it, and once you've adapted to the size it's pretty comfortable. I use mine for browsing the internet before bed and frequently make web posts even. I can't recommend it for Youtube though; it's not bad but Adobe has abandoned the mobile market regarding the flash player so we're stuck with beta software that still needs some work. Unless the latest Firefox has improved HTML5 video support, I should actually check that out sometime.

For your eyes I'm going to need to ask someone else to comment that has received their Pandora recently. The original batch of LCDs were amazing, then the first 1Ghz that came out had not so amazing LCDs. If that batch is done and they've got the amazing screens again then I say go for it.

The "not so amazing" LCDs were still pretty good, but they were a dimmer with slightly less contrast, harder on the eyes which could be a problem if you're worried about your eyesight.
There is any code to identify a good screen from a "notsogood" ?

Someone says this will not work because of some problem with HMTL 5, do you know something about?
Oh, I was talking about in a browser. We have a devoted application (actually a few of them) that is quite good at playing youtube, I'd forgotten.
Unfortunately not. There isn't any way to tell unless you're looking at the two side by side, and the differences are physical. This is the problem with buying in small batches, you get what you get and one lot can vary from the next. I probably shouldn't have mentioned the difference, you probably wouldn't notice unless you have access to both an old one and a new one.

Oh, I was talking about in a browser. We have a devoted application (actually a few of them) that is quite good at playing youtube, I'd forgotten.
Unfortunately not. There isn't any way to tell unless you're looking at the two side by side, and the differences are physical. This is the problem with buying in small batches, you get what you get and one lot can vary from the next. I probably shouldn't have mentioned the difference, you probably wouldn't notice unless you have access to both an old one and a new one.
about the app for youtube, if I buy Pandora I'll ask more details

LXYc9sD.jpg

My idea is to replace my old HP LX with a more performing device, also to preserve my eyes from decay.

I was thinking about Pandora for my spare time activity which is writing. When i write I also use to read a lot of staff on the internet ans also browsing Youtube. Would you reccomend Pandora as a handheld device for this purpose ?
I have yet to purchase a Pandora.  I have been considering one for several years and am pretty sure I will be buying a Classic, as those specs pulled me in originally (this was before the preorders), and I don't really have much money to spare.  For a typing comparison I think you need someone has used both the model of HP palmtop and the Pandora.  Which LX did you have, and how do you type?

I love my 100LX, and am interested in a Pandora as an alternative, but I will keep and use both.  If only the Pandora used AA batteries and could get get the same time out of them. I know many people thumb type, but when I use my palmtop I type on it like I normally type.  I do not touch type...it is difficult to describe.  Anyway, I get significantly better times typing that way as opposed to thumb typing.  I am unsure how that would translate to typing on a Pandora.

I have seen at least one site for palmtop users that suggested the Pandora as a more modern alternative to the DOS LX series.  My interest in the Pandora comes from it being a linux gaming palmtop, 3 things I love.  If the usability as a linux palmtop computer is not good then I may have to wait for the Pyra or look for better options, so I would really like a response to the OPs title (almost): Is the Pandora only for gaming?

In my case, I will do occasional browsing if I am not near another computer, and some typing and such, plus the obvious gaming.

For a typing comparison I think you need someone has used both the model of HP palmtop and the Pandora.  Which LX did you have, and how do you type?
Try to search for content of the user "hmc", he has a "history" with Palmtop devices like the HP LX 200. He made a comparison somewhere, but I'm currently not able to find it. As far as I remember it the conclusion was "Pandoras keyboard its nice, but the LX 200 is definatly better" : http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/6473-introduction-new-member-hmc/

Thanks.  His is the site I mentioned.  I think this is the first time I have ever read that the early HP palmtop keyboards were better than another, but I always found it odd that people thought they were bad.  The keys are tiny, and you have to be careful with a couple of the ones used most often (space bar and enter can break if not pushed properly), but it does work very well for me, and I abuse the hell out of keyboards.  I will read that post in a minute.

I went ahead and placed my Pandora order.  I decided I had waited long enough, and my little contribution will help bring the Pyra into existence.  I already have great plans for it, and if I find the keyboard lacking I will deal with that later.  I am pretty sure the Pandora keyboard is better than those on most tablets and smartphones based on it being a hardware keyboard.  The same for games and those controls.

Back