Pandora as a netbook? [alternative title: N900 vs Pandora]

WittgensteinSergeant

Still Fresh
I know, probably topic #745 about the N900 vs the Pandora, but still:

I'm currently using my Nokia N900 a LOT for Rockbox, web browsing and writing fanfics, but I was considering having a Pandora next to it for Audacity, and the bigger screen for web browsing..

Questions are: Has anyone tried both? And is there any way we can video edit on the Pandora? Is there a Youtube client? Is there something like Faster Application Manager for installing apps?

I've had both. The Pandora is far better as a computing device than the N900 (which is really a computer with a crap phone attached). I sold the N900 and use an N9 for my phone. The pandy (a classic I scored on ebay for $120) is far superior.

I had both and they compliment each other nicely... until the USB port of the N900 breaks and then you struggle to find a suitable replacement phone that has a slide out keyboards (I'm not bitter honest...)

The Pandora's screen is bigger but it's the same resolution as the N900. But you can use DisplayLink to get a higher resolution on a HD resolution monitor if you want to do some work etc.

I had both and they compliment each other nicely... until the USB port of the N900 breaks and then you struggle to find a suitable replacement phone that has a slide out keyboards (I'm not bitter honest...)

The Pandora's screen is bigger but it's the same resolution as the N900. But you can use DisplayLink to get a higher resolution on a HD resolution monitor if you want to do some work etc.
And how does a Pandora compare to, let's say a Toughbook CF-19? [a full blown and tough as nails tablet PC btw]

The classic Pandora isn't too much better than the n900 performance wise, the 1Ghz is slightly better than that.. I'd think the CF-19 would out perform it easily, however it's a lot bigger.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got both the N900 and the Pandora (rebirth). I use the Pandora daily as a netbook replacement with a Nexus 4 as my phone and sometimes network access point via tethering. I find the Pandora to be significantly better than the N900 in day to day use. It's easier to work with, especially on a table when in meetings say.

I should add that my Pandora is running Pandian and that contributes greatly to my preference for the Pandora. All my systems are running Debian (or Ubuntu in some cases) so I have the same working environment on every system I use.

I love both the N900 and the Pandora. N900 functions as my internet AP.

Games and emulators are not easy on the N900 keyboard, but the pandora with controls is perfect for them.

I love both the N900 and the Pandora. N900 functions as my internet AP.

Games and emulators are not easy on the N900 keyboard, but the pandora with controls is perfect for them.
yes . The emulation is almost perfect with the Mupen app. But its unstable for some games ie tetris n64 and killer instinct. You can download the entire n64 release library for only 7Gb and put it on an sd card.

Now continuing onto other emulation facts.

The gba emulator with pokemon games with the Cc are 40-58 with the framerate. They will have screen tearing due to v-sync (turn v-sync off) the Ds emulator drastic is fine. I have had no problems with it. Infact running summon night - twin age, is difficult because it needs 3d hardware accelleration to run faster. So your going to get an avg of 28fps on most ds games if not 18fps.

The nes emu is fine. Full emu no lag.

Gb emu has no lag.

Web browsing isnt fun when there isnt any flash. So get a firefox browser and goto about:config. Your going to need to switch two variables around. You can find a topic on that somewhere on the forum.

The tube is currently the best youtube streamer out there right now.

~K.B.

Back