I See On The Gp2x Wiz Web Site You Can^play Outdoor ?

renejr902

Website
Visit site
i see on the gp2x wiz web site that you can play outdoor ?
do you think , you can play in direct sun with it ?
Can you play outdoor and have a bright screen like seeing on the picture on the web site ?

(i love the gp32 nlu because its so bright in sunlight :))

lol, it's another one of your sunlight threads :)

OLED screens are known for their great viewing angles and clarity outside.

LOL LOL I LOVE SUNLIGHT TREADS :) :) :) :) :) oh yeah LONG LIVE TO SUNLIGHT TREADS :) :) :)

i always dream to play outside with a handheld that have some power. i love my gp32 nlu in outdoor, but i cant play snes emulation, and the nes emulation is not so great, and the genesis emu has frameskip.
i play gamegear ans sms games 80% of time... and little wizard :)

( its from you i bought my gp32 ? isnt ?

pandora said:
lol, it's another one of your sunlight threads :)
OLED screens are known for their great viewing angles and clarity outside.

Viewing angle, yes they emit light like an LED so that makes sense.

Their viewability in sunlight though should be no better than a bright LCD, and much worse than a transreflective LCD though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Wiz screen looks much better outdoors than the GP32 Blu's and the GP2X's. When under direct sunlight keeping it under your own body's shadow suffices to make it usable, but it obviously performs best under plentiful shade. But I can't imagine myself doing anything that requires attentive watching while directly under the sun's light, be it playing games or reading paper books.

And the viewing angle is simply amazing :)

Hopefully only Boktai series on original GBA requires playing it outdoor.

I have from a reliable source that the Wiz is playable in direct sunlight and the viewing angle is about 85 degrees. The screen is an AMOLED which doesn't require any backlight, this increases battery life and makes the unit much lighter.

WarmFluffyUK said:
I have from a reliable source that the Wiz is playable in direct sunlight and the viewing angle is about 85 degrees. The screen is an AMOLED which doesn't require any backlight, this increases battery life and makes the unit much lighter.

im playing a lot in direct sun.. so for me its important. if the gp2x wiz is playable in direct sunlight maybe i will consider to buy one someday. For now i will continue to use my gp32 nlu for direct sulight or my gba.

Peter R said:
Well no, doesn't the OLED display itself emit light without the need for a backlight? This makes it more like a transflective LCD :D
Yes it emits light. That means it is EMMISIVE and not reflective at all. Afterall transREFLECTIVE means that is will REFLECT bright light such as sunlight.

If the sunlight is brighter than the OLED brightness it will not be viewable. The same is not true with a Transreflective LCD.

The GP2X is not transreflective though. In this case OLED may be a bit more viewable as it has more contrast, but don't expect it to be as good as a GBA, PDA etc with a reflective screen in direct sunlight.

Peter R said:
Just because the OLED is emissive it is not transmissive. It may perfectly well reflect light far better than the GP2x LCD.

I don't think you understand.

For a LCD display to be visible, light has to pass through the liquid crystal layer and hit your eye. There are three methods for doing this, and they are generally called reflective, transmissive, and transflective (or transflexive).

In a reflective display, ambient light (or light from a frontlight) passes through the liquid crystal layer from the front, bounces off a reflective layer and back through the liquid crystal layer, and travels out to your eye.

In a transmissive panel, light travels from the backlight through the LC layer, and on to you.

A transflective panel adds a semi-reflective layer between the backlight and the LC layer. Under low ambient light conditions, the display works like a normal transmissive panel. Under high ambient light conditions (daylight), the ambient light reflects off of the semi-reflective layer and bounces back through to your eye.
An OLED display is entirely different. Each subpixel is emitting its own light, hence the term emissive. There is nothing to reflect ambient light. The reason that OLED displays often work better than transmissive LCD panels in daylight conditions is because they are bright enough that the ambient light is not able to wash them out. Direct sunlight is usually enough to wash out even the best of them, though. Reflective LCD panels look even better in direct sunlight, and transflective panels don't look great, but they are always readable, no matter how bright the ambient light.

Chip said:
Peter R said:
Just because the OLED is emissive it is not transmissive. It may perfectly well reflect light far better than the GP2x LCD.

I don't think you understand.

For a LCD display to be visible, light has to pass through the liquid crystal layer and hit your eye. There are three methods for doing this, and they are generally called reflective, transmissive, and transflective (or transflexive).

In a reflective display, ambient light (or light from a frontlight) passes through the liquid crystal layer from the front, bounces off a reflective layer and back through the liquid crystal layer, and travels out to your eye.

In a transmissive panel, light travels from the backlight through the LC layer, and on to you.

A transflective panel adds a semi-reflective layer between the backlight and the LC layer. Under low ambient light conditions, the display works like a normal transmissive panel. Under high ambient light conditions (daylight), the ambient light reflects off of the semi-reflective layer and bounces back through to your eye.
An OLED display is entirely different. Each subpixel is emitting its own light, hence the term emissive. There is nothing to reflect ambient light. The reason that OLED displays often work better than transmissive LCD panels in daylight conditions is because they are bright enough that the ambient light is not able to wash them out. Direct sunlight is usually enough to wash out even the best of them, though. Reflective LCD panels look even better in direct sunlight, and transflective panels don't look great, but they are always readable, no matter how bright the ambient light.

Try and talk down to me again and the elitist Sam Fisher shall have to return to force you to know just how much I know against your will :p.

However, I choose not to argue as being correct got me banned once more (Though a very noisy certain french member did help aggrivate my situation that time).

"no matter how bright the ambient light."

sound like the end of the things thsoe philisophers say... or maybe they just rhyme lol.

anyways, so the screen is not the actual thing that makes it sunlight readable, its the brightness of the OLED pixels? so its not a wierd layer of sunlight absorbing material or anything, right?

Peter R said:
Try and talk down to me again and the elitist Sam Fisher shall have to return to force you to know just how much I know against your will :p.

It was meant as a general tutorial on how different display technologies work, since many people don't really know. The fact that you seemed to think the OLED "may perfectly well reflect light far better than the GP2x LCD" indicated that you needed some clarification as well.
vapourstreak said:
anyways, so the screen is not the actual thing that makes it sunlight readable, its the brightness of the OLED pixels? so its not a wierd layer of sunlight absorbing material or anything, right?

Correct.

WarmFluffyUK said:
I tried it myself... PLAYABLE, yes, but only if you use your head as a shadow. Direct sunlight is a bit too much.

ENJOYABLE... that's the other question ;)

Last edited:
Back