i want the pandora, but...

xaim00

Still Fresh
I was going to buy the Nokia n810, but recently i found out about this system. For me there is no question that the Pandora is the better buy. Here in Sweden where i live the Pandora is even a bit cheaper than the n810.

There is however this little annoying thing that keeps me from placing an order right away... The lack of Å,Ä,Ö keys on the keyboard. These letters are part of the Swedish alphabet (and German too i believe). I'm sure i could bind these letters to a key manually though.

Anyone else in the same position as me? What did you do? Please help me to decide, only few hours left on the preorder..

You'll be able to change language settings on the software, but bear in mind the keys themselves won't change.

Provided that those characters are supported on the OS and Swedish/German language options are available, you shouldn't have a problem. Something like Ubuntu would surely have them if you change the keyboard language, though they might be alt characters (alt + shift + o for example). :)

edit: as mazza558 says. :lol:

Yes, denmark have special letters too å,æ,ø but it didnt keept me from ordering one, there's workaround ;) like æ = ae, ø = oe, å = aa on danish, and im pretty sure that there something too on swedish, korrekt?

so i dont see a problem with that, i preordred one and looking soooooooo much forward to get it. :)

and i'm pretty sure somebody will come up with an on-screen keyboard using the touchscreen function - mainly for multilingual stuff.

Being from Finland, one of the first things I'll do with my p&|a will be assigning some kind of buttons for ä and ö, maybe å too (it's included in the finnish alphabet because Finland is a bilingual country, but isn't used in any finnish words). :)

I am sure there will be workarounds for different languages. I think it is more a question what you like best, the more serious, but very stylish N810 (I really love the looks) or a gaming handheld with serious possibilities.
When you want to use something on business trips, I know what I would choose.

Yeah, I'll probably make me some äöüß keys as well, that's the beauty of the pandora, it's open, which makes things like these trivial

knowledge123 said:
Provided that those characters are supported on the OS and Swedish/German language options are available, you shouldn't have a problem. Something like Ubuntu would surely have them if you change the keyboard language, though they might be alt characters (alt + shift + o for example). :)

edit: as mazza558 says. :lol:

Is that possible? The FAQ said Pandora will only recognize a maximum of two keys being pressed at once (http://pandorawiki.org/FAQ#How_many_keypresses_can_it_detect_at_once.3F). I thought is was more of a software issue about multiple keys being pressed but the way they word it, it's a hardware issue. :|

And by the way, I'd hold off on a n810. I have one, I love it!! But the price will drop soon because the n810 WiMax is coming/is out.

I'm personally use my n810 for web browsing (since it has very little Flash problems) and PIM functions. My Pandora will be for games and video since my n810 is jumpy with some of my anime videos. Course I never did convert those files for the n810 like you can so all your videos could play. Just never got around to doing it.

Thanks for your input guys, I feel better about it now.

@bob, Yeah, the n810 is very stylish indeed. If it only where down to looks the n810 would be my choice, absolutly. But with pandora i get so much more for my money. hardware vs looks? hardware definitely wins for me!

I will use it manly as an internet device/tablet and for media, but i will game on it too just because it can!

Oh.. and yeah.. Count me in for one! :D

FireHazard51 said:
Is that possible? The FAQ said Pandora will only recognize a maximum of two keys being pressed at once (http://pandorawiki.org/FAQ#How_many_keypresses_can_it_detect_at_once.3F). I thought is was more of a software issue about multiple keys being pressed but the way they word it, it's a hardware issue. :|
yes, that is a hardware issue. but as it also mentions, this doesnt apply to the game controls. in particular the left and right triggers should work very well for this kind of thing... and since this is linux, there wont be any problem binding them to whatever function is wanted/needed.

I preordered a Pandora to replace my N800. Its pretty cool, but its just not fast enough to keep up with my rampant tabbage in microB. I like surfing multiple windows at once, its the only way to keep up with a busy forum. Plus the battery life isn't too hot when surfing, something like 4 hours. Good for a notebook, but not for webgrazing on the go. Can't wait for my Pandora though!

brockway said:
I preordered a Pandora to replace my N800. Its pretty cool, but its just not fast enough to keep up with my rampant tabbage in microB. I like surfing multiple windows at once, its the only way to keep up with a busy forum. Plus the battery life isn't too hot when surfing, something like 4 hours. Good for a notebook, but not for webgrazing on the go. Can't wait for my Pandora though!

The same here :)
The biggest complaint besides browserspeed for me were the missing drivers for the PowerVR and the DSP. The Pandora may be the ultimate tool I've been looking for for years. I've tried pocket PCs, tablet PCs, subnotebooks and the n800. The n800 was the closest fit for my needs, the Pandora seems to be the next step. Casual gaming, surfing and maintaining eBay-sales, will be its purpose.

xaim00 said:
There is however this little annoying thing that keeps me from placing an order right away... The lack of Å,Ä,Ö keys on the keyboard. These letters are part of the Swedish alphabet (and German too i believe). I'm sure i could bind these letters to a key manually though.
We don't know what the official plan is, but in the keyboard suggestions threads (here and here) we came up with two methods for international input:

- The traditional "AltGr" key method, where each key can be assigned an alternative symbol. Can be configured for multiple character sets (especially non-roman symbols), but the downside is you have to remember the key mappings (or maybe use stickers).

- An "Accent" key, to combine an accent punctuation symbol with a letter (only used for roman symbols). eg:
Accent -> O -> A for Å
Accent -> " -> O for Ö

Last edited by a moderator:
Back