I Want One, But.....

phillane

Still Fresh
Dear Community

I've lost touch with a few things and need your help!

Brief History:

Have followed the 'Pandora' project since it started as I used to own the first iteration of GP32 (was so gutted I never got to play Astonishing Story R). I do like my 'tech' but over the years I find myself let down... not by the product but by my expectation. I have learnt now to buy a gadget suited to the purpose you need it for. I.e Cowon S9 as MP3 player rather than but something that claims to do everything - which often the do but at a comprimise on quality. I have Nokia N800 which I use primarily as a SatNav now, I sold both my DS and PSP as I never used them and I have a clunky WM6 smartphone for email, RSS and web.

[Note: I didnt pre-order the Pandora at the beginning as got my fingers burnt pre-ordering a Tapwave Zodiac]

However, as things stand I have no issue pre-ordering now if a unit is still available. However, I want to know if the Pandora will:

1) Be good enough the replace my RSS and Web browsing from WM6 phone - I can tether via bluetooth I expect.
2) Surprise me!

I am completely Linux illiterate, which is also another reason buying one scares me. I have a 2yo boy and a hectic job - I find it hard to find the time to get literate!.

Sorry, I rambling!! If I get a Pandora, will it be v. good for web browsing, picking up RSS feeds (mainly news) - not interested in social networking stuff - , maybe open up an opportunity to program a bit, and maybe some gaming [im sorry but im still a big speccy fan. Dizzy!!!]

Conclusion: talk me into buying one!

Thanks a lot.

Phil

ps. Please post back aggresively. If you dont like what I have written please ignore.

Phil. as a speccy fan myself can you imagine having all them lovely roms, what is there about 15000 of them? In your pocket. The pandora is just one of them things you just didn't know you needed

Gotta say, wow, you are one of the first 50 members on this site!

It sounds like the Pandora would suit you well. I don't want to "strong-arm" you in case it doesn't live up to your expectations, but it would surely do everything you want from it and more. The web browsing demos we've seen so far look great: full-speed, full-size Firefox.

And can you imagine a better unit to emulate the Speccy?

lol wasnt that hard :)
im sure maxed out with two 32gb sd cards or more in your backpocket you will have ample of reasons to stick with the pandora. as the feature software grows not only by this community but with the development of linux to the masses via netbooks/smartphones etc there will be a shed load soon.

Companies need to hurry up and come out with class 6+ 64GB SDHC cards. With all the stuff I'm trying to take with me, I might start to need more storage space.

you dont really want to go down the whole usb portable harddrive road really...
though might spur a modder to make built in SsD instead

Trevsweb said:

Well if you need/want something like 120GB+ of storage SD card or SDD are probably too expensive right now.

I have just seen that Samsung have some really cool 1.8inch usb hard drive. They weight less than 100g and are available in 120GB and 250GB version !
You could carry plenty of rom/game/video/music and copy what you want to your Pandora SDCard. You probably don't want to have the hard drive always connected as it uses power and doesn't make the Pandora quite as portable - although I guess it's ok it you got AC power and the pandora connected to a TV for exemple :)

Last edited by a moderator:
marshal said:
Trevsweb said:

Well if you need/want something like 120GB+ of storage SD card or SDD are probably too expensive right now.

I have just seen that Samsung have some really cool 1.8inch usb hard drive. They weight less than 100g and are available in 120GB and 250GB version !
You could carry plenty of rom/game/video/music and copy what you want to your Pandora SDCard. You probably don't want to have the hard drive always connected as it uses power and doesn't make the Pandora quite as portable - although I guess it's ok it you got AC power and the pandora connected to a TV for exemple :)
Thats what I was thinking. Have it available to copy what you want when you want.

Ralph said:
Phil. as a speccy fan myself can you imagine having all them lovely roms, what is there about 15000 of them?

Not quite. There were about 14 of them in total - 10 games and 4 system ROMs. Not sure where you get 15,000 Spectrum ROMs from?

D.

There are actually quite a few more ROMs than 4 (or 14), but certainly nothing close to 15000. See here for some:

http://www.shadowmagic.org.uk/spectrum/roms.html

And the 10 games you mentioned, here:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/int2roms/

I think he meant spectrum games/ programs. I agree there must be over 15k. I have quite a bit of them.

aq21 said:
There are actually quite a few more ROMs than 4 (or 14), but certainly nothing close to 15000. See here for some:

http://www.shadowmagic.org.uk/spectrum/roms.html

I'm familiar with the page. Again, I'll state that there are 4 System ROMs (not counting Language variations) - the trick is to look for "Amstrad" who own the IP. In general, the 128k ROM images are combined into one ROM for each system.

And the 10 games you mentioned, here:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/int2roms/

Yes, I have them. None of the other games for the Spectrum were released as ROMs.

D.

Dunny said:
Ralph said:
Phil. as a speccy fan myself can you imagine having all them lovely roms, what is there about 15000 of them?

Not quite. There were about 14 of them in total - 10 games and 4 system ROMs. Not sure where you get 15,000 Spectrum ROMs from?

D.

Yeah my bad i did mean 15k of games etc.

Back