I Want To Play Chrono Trigger

Khayman

Still Fresh
I want to play Chrono Trigger but with what emulator and what version of Chrono Trigger is best?

Khayman posted on Jul 21 2006 at 08:46 AM said:
I want to play Chrono Trigger but with what emulator and what version of Chrono Trigger is best?

I think SquidgeSNES is the best bet, although I have read you have to play with the layering at some points, because transparanices are NOT transparent.
Ive only played into it a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
jmetal88 posted on Jul 21 2006 at 01:03 PM said:
NK's SNES emulator is the best for Chrono Trigger. It is slow, and you will need overclocking ability, but all transparencies work, so it is much more playable.

What kind of frame rate do get at what overclock?

Is there a way to try how much you can overclock the gp2x? i meen.. is there a program that you use to find out how much the processor can take on your gp2x?

Khayman posted on Jul 21 2006 at 01:15 PM said:
Is there a way to try how much you can overclock the gp2x? i meen.. is there a program that you use to find out how much the processor can take on your gp2x?

Theres another app someone created called cpu_speed.gpe, all you have to do is create a script that runs that program and the other program your overclocking for. There are other threads that have examples.

Do NOT use NK's Snes emu, I've played through the whole Chrono Trigger on squidgesnes without transparencies. They are really NOT used often in this game and for those places you can just turn some backgrounds off.
For that, you are getting fullspeed (almost 60fps) with FS0 @ 266Mhz and sound on and it's much more fun than on nk's emu. Seriously.

how do you overclock with squidge snes? with 2,0 firmware? if i OC and run squidge snes its like loading SSNES resets the changes

geezus thats all very tedious just to overclock with SSNES. maybe ill leave it until the menu incorporates overclocking itself.

o_O? Actually you just have to create a script which overclocks squidgesnes before actually running it, c'mon it's not THAT hard.

(my script is just so short :p :
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe 1 1 267
./squidgesnes.gpe
sync
cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu )

Paradox posted on Jul 21 2006 at 02:35 PM said:
geezus thats all very tedious just to overclock with SSNES. maybe ill leave it until the menu incorporates overclocking itself.

Serious? It takes about 30 seconds to do it, and from then on it's set every time. Simple and easy.

It's also an excellent skill to learn for scripting other apps, e.g. changing gamma settings, overclocking Quake, etc.

Just try. Learning useful things is good!

paradox: i thought that, this script is the first one i've ever used for my old geepee. Its pretty quick to do and well worth it.

well at first glance on that thread it seemed pretty complicated with all the replies people where giving.

i copied Wolfsclaw's script but i cant get it to work, i think its something to do with my directory for cpu tweaker..or the fact that it has a space?

#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/Utilities/CPU Tweaker/CPU Tweaker.gpe 1 1 285
./SSNES.gpe
sync
cd /usr/gp2x/

Paradox posted on Jul 21 2006 at 03:38 PM said:
well at first glance on that thread it seemed pretty complicated with all the replies people where giving.

i copied Wolfsclaw's script but i cant get it to work, i think its something to do with my directory for cpu tweaker..or the fact that it has a space?

#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/Utilities/CPU Tweaker/CPU Tweaker.gpe 1 1 285
./SSNES.gpe
sync
cd /usr/gp2x/

make sure you save as a "unix" file

It's just a thought, but try changing the directories' name of where the cpu tweaker is in and the "CPU Tweaker.gpe" into something without a space. Actually it should work.. <edit: nickspoon beat me to it>
Other thought would be adding a "cd /[the dir where your ssnes.gpe is in]" before the "./SSNES.gpe"

I'm also suggesting NK's emu ... several games that had glitches now work perfectly in NK's emu (albeit a little slow).

Full-time transparancies for the win! :)

Back