I Would Like Some Advice, Possibly About Writing An Angry Letter

(naw)mcx

Rotary Wombat
Website
www.godlikemcx.deviantart.com
Quite recently my internet speed got throttled, at certain times. It just jumped on us, we got no warning or any thing. I mean, I would not be too fussed over this if they did not cripple it quite so much. My speed spontaneously gets 20X SLOWER, at night. From 1MB/s to 50KB/s. My question is, is there any thing I can do about it? My exchange has no LLUs installed, so every ISP is most likely going to be the same. So should I phone them, right to them, or am I doomed to a life of horrible connections?

Thanks, for any answers, if any ;)

Sky do have a traffic management policy, which states that if they think you are downloading too much at night (regardless of your download cap), they may reduce the speed of your connection to ensure 'quality of service' to other members.

What do you typically download during peak time? (5pm - midnight)

Squidge said:
Sky do have a traffic management policy, which states that if they think you are downloading too much at night (regardless of your download cap), they may reduce the speed of your connection to ensure 'quality of service' to other members.

What do you typically download during peak time? (5pm - midnight)
I don't download pretty much any thing, I can't! I can't even use YouTube.

I think from 11.30 to 12 last night I downloaded some of Crysis Wars, seeing I was uncapped then, but half an hour of downloading is really nothing..

(I hate giving up my connection to let people get on facebook, and check their emails ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hello, Sky? Yeah, hi, this is Andrew Jenkins calling. Is there anyway I can talk to someone higher up? I want to complain. Oh, my problem? Well, I'm trying to download pirated software, but due to a bunch of other stupid, pathetic CUNTS, browsing their ignorant facebook or reading their idiotic emails, are using up all the bandwidth as stated in the contract I agreed to when I bought this service! Change this now, or I wil take my business elsewhere!"

(naw)mcx posted on Dec 14 2008 at 01:06 PM said:

So you've never really downloaded anything since you had the service activated? Or were you downloading gigs of data and this is why Sky have throttled you during peak times?

PoisonedV said:
"Hello, Sky? Yeah, hi, this is Andrew Jenkins calling. Is there anyway I can talk to someone higher up? I want to complain. Oh, my problem? Well, I'm trying to download pirated software, but due to a bunch of other stupid, pathetic CUNTS, browsing their ignorant facebook or reading their idiotic emails, are using up all the bandwidth as stated in the contract I agreed to when I bought this service! Change this now, or I wil take my business elsewhere!"

Ignored.

Squidge said:
(naw)mcx posted on Dec 14 2008 at 01:06 PM said:

So you've never really downloaded anything since you had the service activated? Or were you downloading gigs of data and this is why Sky have throttled you during peak times?
I thought you meant do you download at peak times, which I can't. But at off peak times I download, yeah. But I used to download more before, and never got throttled, which is weird, so that's why I am asking about this.

(naw)mcx posted on Dec 14 2008 at 02:26 PM said:
PoisonedV said:

Ignored.

how many times do you need to say this? do you have some kind of fetish?

I'm with SKY too, using the MAx option which supposedly gives unlimited access (which is above the 40Gb limit of the Medium service), and I have been getting less than half speed downloads recently too and I definitely haven't been using over 40Gb a month, despite being a pretty heavy user.

I think it's time that I contacted them too...

iprice said:
I'm with SKY too, using the MAx option which supposedly gives unlimited access (which is above the 40Gb limit of the Medium service), and I have been getting less than half speed downloads recently too and I definitely haven't been using over 40Gb a month, despite being a pretty heavy user.

I think it's time that I contacted them too...
Really? I kinda thought it was just Connect customers who were getting the slow speeds! At least you can get Max though

Don't bother getting snotty with them.

It's just a guy at the other end, with no real power.

Write an email asking them to clarify their throttling criteria.

If you think you're being unjustly throttled, then you can complain.
Do it on the phone, and then you can get snotty with them

Now, this is just a theory and I MIGHT be wrong- but I think it is, in fact, possible to watch a YouTube video with 354 kbps download speeds

PoisonedV said:

I really hate people who try and decide who's use of the internet is better, more moral or more appropriate than other uses. Facebook and myspace are just as useless uses of bandwidth as someone downloading software, as is corporations who use the public internet for VOIP to avoid long distance bills. The same can be said for downloading freeware or posting on gp32x.de. As a matter of fact, things like myspace and irc and especially AOL chat are far more damaging than anything else because it's used by the media to sensationalize the internet and give examples of entrapment (and to be fair, some real cases) of perverts trying to seduce young girls. These are the real dangers that are going to lead to very restrictive laws on the use of the internet and eventually turn the internet into a cable tv like system where only a very few very large websites will be accessible.
They are really mad at the fact that the internet has allowed people to find out things they wouldn't have been able to find out about before. I'm not even sure that Bush was the most restrictive president, so much as his actions were available for all to see as a direct result of the internet. It's not like the mainstream media was reporting it.

Chris

christo930 said:
PoisonedV said:

These are the real dangers that are going to lead to very restrictive laws on the use of the internet and eventually turn the internet into a cable tv like system where only a very few very large websites will be accessible.

Chris

This is what I REALLY fear.

Back