iCP2: They're throwing in the towel.

ckblackm

Very Active Member
Just got this update from kickstarter....

Hello ICP2 Backers,

First of all, we would like to apologize for the length and disarray of this Kickstarter Project over the past 12 months.  It has come time to cancel the project.  We are working with the  team in Germany to see what parts can be returned to the vendors for refunds, and this money we will in turn refund to you all.  Our goal is to do this as fairly as possible for all parties involved. 

We have notified Kickstarter of the intentions on this and we want to be as transparent as possible moving forward.  After lengthy discussions with the firmware developer & PCB designer in Canada, & the UK team, there is just not a way to move forward on this device without sinking more money into it.  We didn't want it to be a money pit, but unfortunately, as time has progressed, the original quotes for certain parts have expired and gone up in price.  Additional parts that needed to be ordered to incorporate the backlighting were also underestimated in regard to cost, ie the keymat that would allow the backlighting to show. 

Some other issues that we've come across is the nubs have changed design, and while the ICP1 firmware would just work with the ICP2, the newer nubs would no longer work on the firmware.  This was primarily due to the ADCs chosen to be used in the ICP2 vs the ICP1.

Luckily we didn't populate all of the PCBs in Germany, and we have money left on that account, as well as the refunds for unused/unopened parts sitting waiting since January.   Please allow us time to get things together so that we can regather as much money as possible to distribute back amongst the backers.  

Once we figure out what can be returned, we will have more information on the refund process.  Backers, we are truly sorry for all of this.  We won't be through with the project until we hit the "Send Payment" button on the last backer who supported us. 

We will be setting up a new email address to deal with this process and that will be made public here once we start the refund process.  Again, our apologies on this ordeal.  We intend to do what we can to make it right for all backers who've supported this device.

ICP2 Team

Damn, you beat me to it :lol:

I wonder if this would have still failed if the lights wouldn't have been added last minute. Oh well, here's hoping for a refund before next Christmas :p  

Good luck to us all. If I do ever get my refund, I think I'll use it to get a 1ghz Pandora and maybe my Nvidia Shield.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I was still hoping to see the product. First and last crowdfunding experience for me.

Probably Link. Oh well, time to get in contact with GC to see what parts they can return to the distributors...

I'm not going to let this experience sour me on kickstarter... I've backed 18 projects and so far, this has been the only one canceled.

The questions remain:  How much of a refund will we get, and when will we get it?

I too would have preferred a working unit.  *sigh*

Probably Link. Oh well, time to get in contact with GC to see what parts they can return to the distributors...
ED, make sure you don't get screwed up again by Craig this time. It's not the time to lose money :)
Oh, no worries about that.

I'll invoice him the nubs I gave him for the first 100 units, will pay everything that needs to be paid to GC and will then return the remaining money to whatever account number I get from him.

He can't screw me here, as I got the full payment needed for the PCB production upfront (otherwise I wouldn't have agreed to do the production at GC).

I've backed 37 projects total, 32 of which actually passed funding, 12 of which have delivered and 19 still in production. The iCP2 is the first project I've backed that failed. So far kickstarter has been a great thing, I've got a lot of awesome games and gadgets that wouldn't have existed without it.

I'm not going to let this experience sour me on kickstarter... I've backed 18 projects and so far, this has been the only one canceled.

The questions remain:  How much of a refund will we get, and when will we get it?
I've only used Kickstarter a few times, and this hasn't ruined the experience for me either. Anytime you participate in something like this, there is always a risk. Hopefully everyone can get 100% of their pledge back, but I think a 50-80% return would be more likely, if we get anything at all. I guess it all depends on how much of the funds have been spent, how much can be recouped, and how well the refund process will be organized overall. With the holidays coming up, hopefully Craig can get the refunds going ASAP!

Chris

Ed, would you give the money to Craig or to one of the other folks on the project (for example, Link).

Do we even know if Craig is still involved?

ED, make sure you don't get screwed up again by Craig this time. It's not the time to lose money :)

I'll invoice him the nubs I gave him for the first 100 units, will pay everything that needs to be paid to GC and will then return the remaining money to whatever account number I get from him.

He can't screw me here, as I got the full payment needed for the PCB production upfront (otherwise I wouldn't have agreed to do the production at GC).
Thank fuck.

when will we get it?
In two months, probably. Oh, definitely in 2013. You know how this project has always been on track for everything :)
I guess that would depend on who's handling the wind-down and refunds  :)

I've got infinitely more faith in Link than I do in Craig.

Well you're never getting that nub money, but I guess that's only a few hundred $ at the most :p Unless you were going to take that out of the GC money..

So, does anyone know if there's any chance whatsoever that the iCP2 team could release the drawings and software and maybe sell some prototype boards to interested parties? Fat chance, right?

RIP ICP2: This ends our story of Craig and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcontroller'...

Also more seriously.... Don't blame Craig for this. Sounds like Weston over engineered without any kind of prototype. I love you Weston.

*He's posted that engineering was not the problem and I was joking anyway*

I'm glad you won't be screwed for any more than the nubs but I doubt a single penny you put in that account will ever make it back to the backers.

Back