[Idea] LegalRoms Market

I don't get either why such a frontend should be closd source.

Do you want to generate money with this or don't you like people reading your code?

If something like this will get popular I would bet that there will be foss clients popping up anyway.

Do you want to generate money with this or don't you like people reading your code?

If something like this will get popular I would bet that there will be foss clients popping up anyway.
Like i said before, i would like to keep full control of distribution of my code/bin's. 

Apart of that, my personal choice of licensing shouldnt be the part of debate in this topic. Its because i'll not convince You , and You will not convince me. And all that talk about OSS is a waste of time for me and for You. 

Of course. Im aware that. Thats why i would love to talk about what i can do and what community can do. And not what i dont do..

Like i said before, i would like to keep full control of distribution of my code/bin's. 

Apart of that, my personal choice of licensing shouldnt be the part of debate in this topic. Its because i'll not convince You , and You will not convince me. And all that talk about OSS is a waste of time for me and for You. 
You are asking for help from the community to create the database/repo -- meaning you want them to share their contributions with you. Yet you don't want to share your contributions with the community, except in a very limited way that allows you to keep full control and does not allow any of us to modify/extend your code.

I am not inclined to participate in a project based on that premise.

You are asking for help from the community to create the database/repo -- meaning you want them to share their contributions with you. Yet you don't want to share your contributions with the community, except in a very limited way that allows you to keep full control and does not allow any of us to modify/extend your code.

I am not inclined to participate in a project based on that premise.
I understand that coding and releasing application(s) is not sharing and contributing to community enough, _wb_? Of course , you look at it from wrong side. I dont want need help with coding, i can handle it myself. And as i said, if there will be no community involvement the project will die. Its only concept. As you can see creating this project isnt for myself. I could create a games/roms for myself without sharing and creating app facility for others. This is enough than understable that this project is for community only.. and not releasing the sources not changes anything in user experience at the end..

Not the coders should be beneficients of this app, but simple users that would like download+play. These simple users could help in maintain repo, because they're primary users of it. Not You, not source-lurkers..

Apart of that, if you dont like it , dont contribute . Its easy, its simple. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that coding and releasing application(s) is not sharing and contributing to community enough, _wb_? Of course , you look at it from wrong side. I dont want need help with coding, i can handle it myself. And as i said, if there will be no community involvement the project will die. Its only concept. As you can see creating this project isnt for myself. I could create a games/roms for myself without sharing and creating app facility for others. This is enough than understable that this project is for community only.. and not releasing the sources not changes anything in user experience at the end..

Not the coders should be beneficients of this app, but simple users that would like download+play. These simple users could help in maintain repo, because they're primary users of it. Not You, not source-lurkers..
So you don't think that users could benefit from the fact that more than one dev can implement new features or fix bugs for them? Or that it is easier to verify that the code does not contain intentional or accidental malware? Or to have a chance to port the system to platforms you don't target?

Seriously, do you really think FOSS is only beneficial for coders, not for "simple users"?

Apart of that, if you dont like it , dont contribute . Its easy, its simple.

OK, I won't.

I understand that coding and releasing application(s) is not sharing and contributing to community enough, _wb_?..
So you don't think that users could benefit from the fact that more than one dev can implement new features or fix bugs for them?..
You act like perfect politician, _wb_. Instead of answering you're create another question. Im talking about contributing to community by writing apps, and you still trying to flip course of this topic to other [FOSS] track. You know it will not work out..

With the Pyra coming up and no guarantee as yet of backwards compatibility that I've heard of, being able to port forwards is becoming more important every day. As I said, I respect your right to keep the source private, and as such it's your right to port it to Pyra yourself or not, just as it's Exo's right with DraStic or other coders with other projects.

I am just opting out of contributing to this project, in case that wasn't clear.

With the Pyra coming up and no guarantee as yet of backwards compatibility that I've heard of, being able to port forwards is becoming more important every day. As I said, I respect your right to keep the source private, and as such it's your right to port it to Pyra yourself or not, just as it's Exo's right with DraStic or other coders with other projects.

I am just opting out of contributing to this project, in case that wasn't clear.
Yes, i accept that. Its perfectly fine for me.

If the project will not be accepted by community [in the way i proposed], it wont be released. Im not trying to please community for all the costs.. 

It's an interesting discussion, but it really belongs into another thread and I think it may be mentioned there already.

Maybe we can try to agree on a standardized format for the database/packages? That way we can have different clients (e.g. a closed-source one by commander-beef and a FOSS one based on a fork of PNDManager or something like that), with a shared central repository.

Its perfectly fine for me. But the community must decide wether will help or not. Its crucial decision to start coding something. (from my side..). If anyone wants to see how it could look like fire up dosbox ex and downloader..

http://wiki.stunts.hu/index.php?title=Download

Are you seriously going to take their word for it? It's not listed at all on Liberatedgames.com or mentioned that it's freeware on http://www.mobygames.com/game/stunts, its not listed @ Dosgames.com or dosgamesarchive.com and there's no official words from Brøaderbund Software, Mindscape or Distinctive Software.So clearly it's NOT freeware. 

Just because some guy says it's freeware.. Doesn't mean it really is.

http://wiki.stunts.hu/index.php?title=Download

Are you seriously going to take their word for it? It's not listed at all on Liberatedgames.com or mentioned that it's freeware on http://www.mobygames.com/game/stunts, its not listed @ Dosgames.com or dosgamesarchive.com and there's no official words from Brøaderbund Software, Mindscape or Distinctive Software.So clearly it's NOT freeware. 

Just because some guy says it's freeware.. Doesn't mean it really is.
Wally, focus on proper topic,  and is there a reason to double post it here?, here we have topic that is not releaeted with stunts in any aspect..

Go away :D

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14409-dosbox-ex-ultimate/page-20#entry321308/URL]

This thread is related in the sense that we'll need to have a proper definition of what a "LegalRom" is.

Dont derail thread _wb_.. otherwise we will again be talking about FOSS. Lets stay focus on idea that i proposed and community feedback about the idea. 

Excuse me? You're the one thats starting a "Legal" Rom market.  _wb_ & I are trying to offer you advice and you're being an absolute jerk about it.

FOSS is still completely related as well.

Back