Ideas/features for next version of Wind-ups

scottm

Website
www.kaiserpc.co.uk
Just started to use Wind-ups (great GUI!), having great fun viewing gifs on my gp32, but I'm running into a couple problems with icons, and colours. Anyway I thought I'd list some suggestions for the next version of Wind-Ups (not sure if they are a feasible). Anyone else got any other ideas, and do we know if the author frequents this board?

Features I would like to see in the next version of Wind-ups

- Transparency option for icons (can you do this yet with transparent gifs?)

- backgrounds remain on after viewing other jpegs/gifs - always seems to go back to the default background

- some more integrated apps - calculator, mp3/ogg player

- be able to change the font colour of icons

- option to cycle through background images on desktop

- integrated gif/jpeg viewer with slide show option

- chatboard support

- uniform palette so that icons don't keep changing colours (I've created a standard one that has a wide selection of all colours)

You're quite right : I would love to see that but in fact for now no new version are planed I think
Your suggestions seems good
(especially the Mediaplayer (MP3/WMA/OGG/GIF/JPG...)
the best would be CHA01 support for easy writting!
see you ;)

i would love to see a way to enhance the text editor (simple stuff- shortcuts to specific text files from desktop, at least - i have abunch of my phoen numbers stored in there in such a way, would be easier to get at)

- backgrounds remain on after viewing other jpegs/gifs - always seems to go back to the default background

- chatboard support

- uniform palette so that icons don't keep changing colours (I've created a standard one that has a wide selection of all colours)
-There is transparency, although wind-ups has a pallet in which a certain number *in which all the icons you can d/l for wind-ups uses it* for transparency
If you have problems with the icon colors messing up *just colors, not transparency* when you put on a BG, the BG image's pallet needs to be converted to the same as the icon *you can get the GP32.pal around here*paintshoppro, any version will do, even sharware i think*

- Yeah, problem for me too, also when veiwing the info *select*

- Calculator would do good, if you gonna play ogg, use YOGG, MP3s, use the newer offcial MP3 player you can d/l from this site

- hmm, maybe good idea, i ahve no problem with it right now :D

- Hm? why?

- SlideShow option is actually good

- yeah, some intergraded programs use the quad-tree typer

- There is already a pallet, as said before, i have a gp32.pal *reduces the colors on the BG/changes some of them, not much difference in blue, but some reds are weird *tried many dif images*

Last edited by a moderator:
Features I would like to see in the next version of Wind-ups

- chatboard support

:) I think it s a really good idea i like it very much

- skin like winXP
- auto change name and icon of new icons
- a bit smaler icon (or changeable)

support for the chatboard in the text editor/address book would be class...

also the 'default background' bug to be fixed :)

yeah a decent calculator would be handy too...

some of my ideas:

- snap icons to user-definable grid / auto arrange

- automatically save settings (icons positions etc...)

- a database of all the common games/emus so it could name it and choose the icon for you...

- built in file managing functions?

- info bar with smc space/capacity

- battery life display (probably not possible)

no auto- save as it would have to keep flashing to the card, which would be more consumptive (of the battery at least!) - i think it's fine as they've got the option to right-click and save desktop settings at any time you wish.

maybe with Guyfawkes' return to the GP32 scene (well, with Darts anyway) perhaps he'll be tempted to finish/enhance winGP as well. But I sincerely doubt it...

some of my ideas:

- snap icons to user-definable grid / auto arrange

- automatically save settings (icons positions etc...)

- a database of all the common games/emus so it could name it and choose the icon for you...

- built in file managing functions?

- info bar with smc space/capacity

- battery life display (probably not possible)
Seconded. My icons never align properly. Windups 0.99 (in Aquafish's new firmware) has some file managing functions, you can copy/paste, delete and rename files and folders.

Hi

I would love to see skins or different editions of windups to emulate old GUIs from the past.

A GP32 which acted like the Atari ST GEM Desktop, Amiga Workbench or 1984 Mac would really complete the retro experience!

I started a thread "Retro GUIs for GP32" here and contacted the maker of Windups about the possibilities but he seemed to imply that he wasn't developing it anymore, so perhaps all of our ideas will not see the light of day unless some resourceful person steps into the frame...

®

RPM-style installing of FPKs/ZPKs from the SMC would be kind of nice, too, since they can be frustrating to deal with if you've only got a card-reader to hand.

If an integrated player *was* to be done, there'd be an argument to ripping out the code from the GPFM 1.5b sources, since it does a fair job of MP3, and similarly using some of the YOGG code for OGG doage - although both would obviously require mentions of the respective coders in readmes etc.

Personally, I'd love to be able to play straight from the file browser, but its not something I need. Its on a par, roughly, with a wish to have an integrated divX player - something that'd be nice, but is unlikely ever to happen.

Another idea might be to create a small library for emu use that would allow Wind-UPs to send a rom to an emulator and have it play in it based on the directory the file was chosen from if a zip, or extension otherwise. Unlikely, but that would rock quite a lot - you wouldn't even need to hit "load rom" - just stick a shortcut to your favourite emulated game on the desktop and click!

Now wouldn't that be cool?

Hmm... other ideas might include a paint package included (was GPArt ever open source?), calculator as mentioned, a lightweight HTML viewer... the list goes on and on.

Thankfully, everything ON the list is pretty much not necessary; Wind-ups is brilliant as is...

All this integrated shiz is just annoying
Intigrated MP3,
Intigrated Ogg,
Intigrated Rom Selection and Shortcut Unit
Intigrated DivX

You know how much space that would take up? alot
Thats why you waste 1-5 seconds just using the icon for the mp3/ogg/video player, or the emulator you want to use!

Simple things like bug fixes, grid for icons, and calculator would be useful, the other stuff is lazy *look at old versions of windows, they didn't have intigrated music players, now they do*

someone requested a more expansive palette or a standardised one, but what if EVERYONE right now decided to use the standard websafe palette of 256 colours?

That way we could achieve the same result right now. It would still only be 256 colours, but most image editors would recognise the palette easily and there is still a good range in that palette for icons etc. Graphics could be easily 'ported' fro the web too...

®

Back