Dingoo If I Was To Port A Megadrive Emulator To The Dingoo, Where Would I Sta

Sofox

Still Fresh
I'm curious about this. I'm wondering about applying my skills to the task, but I want to know whether I can do it or not.
Porting emulators is something I've always viewed as a "black art", I've ported a few C++/SDL programs from Linux to Windows, but clearly this is a much bigger beast.
So I'd like to know what's involved, what technologies are required, what skills are needed and a general layout of the steps one would take.
I can't promise anything, but I think this is the best shot I have for getting involved in emulator porting and handheld programming.

Sofox said:
I'm curious about this. I'm wondering about applying my skills to the task, but I want to know whether I can do it or not.
Porting emulators is something I've always viewed as a "black art", I've ported a few C++/SDL programs from Linux to Windows, but clearly this is a much bigger beast.
So I'd like to know what's involved, what technologies are required, what skills are needed and a general layout of the steps one would take.
I can't promise anything, but I think this is the best shot I have for getting involved in emulator porting and handheld programming.

Personally, I would start with something a little simpler. Maybe start with porting a simple well documented game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, picodrive shouldn't be too hard to port. Sure, the efficient ASM-code is for ARM-CPUs, but the PSP-version already uses a C(++?)-replacement. As far as I know, that works just fine, so it should be a managable task to combine both branches to a dingux-version.

I wish you best luck ;)

conso said:
Actually, picodrive shouldn't be too hard to port. Sure, the efficient ASM-code is for ARM-CPUs, but the PSP-version already uses a C(++?)-replacement. As far as I know, that works just fine, so it should be a managable task to combine both branches to a dingux-version.
Actually it's not very portable, code is a bit of mess, I wouldn't suggest starting with that for a beginner.

didn't know that...

any chance to get you involved in a dingux-port, notaz?

conso said:
any chance to get you involved in a dingux-port, notaz?
Not unless I have the device, but I don't plan to buy one at the moment. Maybe sometime later..

I would certainly donate money for you getting a dingoo and I bet, I'm not the only one.

conso said:
I would certainly donate money for you getting a dingoo and I bet, I'm not the only one.
donate? why not just buy him one?

johnboyjr said:
conso said:
donate? why not just buy him one?

I will chip in $20US to get Notaz a dingoo. If 3 or more people want to do the same we can get him one from dealextreme.

If you do this, be aware that I'm rather busy already and it's unlikely I'll do anything in addition to PicoDrive port (which itself might take from a week to several months or more, who knows).

notaz said:
If you do this, be aware that I'm rather busy already and it's unlikely I'll do anything in addition to PicoDrive port (which itself might take from a week to several months or more, who knows).

I'm still in for $20 if you do nothing and put it in your drawer and never touch it. ;)

So thats $60 so far by my count. $23 more and we should be set.

I guess it would help, if a blogpost at one of the dingoo-blogs was created.

Also, it should be possible to get enough money for a dingoo at a store that actually has the device in stock.
Do you have any shop-preference, notaz?

I've ordered my dingoo at dealextreme over a month ago and it just left hongkong...

just in case someone didn't see it: notaz's paypal account is notasas (at) yahoo (dot) com

notaz: did you recieve the 15$ I tried to send you? I'm pretty new to paypal ^^

fishybawb: EvilDragon has some, too. I guess notaz will pick the right one, anyway. I just hope it won't be dealextreme for the delay ^^

End of discussion:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/48885-picodrive-1-35/

conso said:
notaz: did you recieve the 15$ I tried to send you? I'm pretty new to paypal ^^
Don't see anything yet.

fishybawb said:
Sent my donation :)
Looks like it's no longer needed, do you want a refund?

if you recieve my money, keep it as a donation for picodrive in general. But I'm extremely happy the port is already done :D

Back