I'm interested in using Pandora as linux serial console for server administrator's tasks

PonkP

Still Fresh
(I haven't own a Pandora yet) I found (in the picture) that there is 1 full size USB port on Pandora, I have the PL2303 USB-to-RS232 cable. I would like to know if this configuration will work.

[Pandora USB port] <-> [PL2303 USB-to-RS232] <-> [CISCO serial cable RJ45]

Is PL2303 device usable on Pandora ?

Thanks.

Serial adaptors are probably USB 1.1, the pandora only supports USB 2.0 on the host port, so you'll need a USB 2.0 hub between your USB->Serial adaptor and your pandora.

A quick search on google seems to suggest that the driver needed for it is in the mainline kernel, so unless it was left out your serial adaptor should work out-of-the-box with a USB-hub. If left out, a driver should still be possible to build.

I don't know how picky those CISCO devices are with voltage levels, so I'd suggest you try to use that cable with a laptop or something to make sure that it works. USB->Serial adaptors generally don't reach the voltage diff that are in the RS-232 spec, but most devices works fine anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
It works through a compatible powered USB hub.

http://pandorawiki.org/USB_compatibility_list#Compact_USB_Hubs

The usbserial module has to be loaded.

Plug the devices, then activate USB.

1.png

100 mA.

But i have to power the hub.

I don't know why.

It's usb 1.1 by the way.

The EXT port has a serial IN/OUT and I'll offer EXT connectors within a week, so you could also build a cable yourself.

Right now the EXT serial port is used to connect TO the Pandora, I'm not sure, but I think this can be changed in autoboot.txt (kernel parameters), so the port would be free.

Isn't there also serial via USB on Linux, using the Mini-USB Port?

How does this work? Can that be used?

The UART is not a full serial-port, and it will need some some extra circuitry before you can connect it to a RS-232 device. Probably just easier to use the USB->serial cable.

Back