Pandora Serial Port Cable

Gricey said:
I'll likely be using mine to connect to servers serial ports in the datacentre (mobile console, win). A true RS232 port would be nice, but for anyone interested, under linux if you grab a USB->Serial cable that uses the PL2303 chipset, it works out of the box (I have a couple already)

NICE! This is the sole reason I keep carrying a full laptop. I often need to interface with motors, generators, HVAC, fire systems, nav equipment using modbus or a simple dumb terminal, and quite often using RS232 or RS485 or RS422 boards. PL2303 has all 3 in differing packages. Now the next step is to get someone to port a terminal program, then something like QModBus or figure out enough python to be able to figure out how to use pymodbus.

Last edited by a moderator:
bobdole369 said:
Now the next step is to get someone to port a terminal program, then something like QModBus or figure out enough python to be able to figure out how to use pymodbus.
You're aware Linux started out as a terminal program? The simplest you could go is just to connect to the serial port, but there are more advanced ones like screen, minicom and mickeyterm already in Ångström. Modbus appears not to be packaged, though.

Gary13579 said:
I'm curious, really... why would someone want to use Pandora for robotics? BeagleBoard and Gumstix are just as powerful (BeagleBoard is the same chip, less RAM IIRC), and were almost made for robotics.

Considering how rare a Pandora is, I'd hate to see it stuck in a robot instead of in someones hands, when they could have easily (and cheaper) used a beagleboard.

maybe because is much more portable than any of those has its own power wifi bt and all other goodies, also because it wouldnt be stuck there at all, since you can pull the plugs out and take it on the go?.

also because i would be using it as a Network configuration device so i would be running on the go and i dont like/couldnt use the usb ones since i've got tons of issues with those and surely i would be using the usb port in order to get a larger keyboard.

you could directly interface Microcontrolers and other devices, and also because it wouldnt be only Serial I/O cable were asking for but also all the goodies that come thru the ext port.

really men you always make up some irritating posts.

Back