Imagining The Tenth Dimension

nickspoon posted on Dec 7 2006 at 08:26 PM said:
char********** string[20];

I think I found the tenth dimension, and there are definitely strings. :blink:
Thats one hell of a pointer :eek: Note, i don't actually know what i'm talking about here and the book im reading is no where near covering pointers. I just assume that that is one, due to the *.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shikaku posted on Dec 7 2006 at 09:12 PM said:
nickspoon posted on Dec 7 2006 at 03:26 PM said:
char********** string[20];

I think I found the tenth dimension, and there are definitely strings. :blink:

Wouldn't it be... char[][][][][][][][][][] string?

But still lawl programming joke.
god.
don't be a moron.
arrays and pointers go hand in hand.

m8ex posted on Dec 5 2006 at 07:07 PM said:
DaveC posted on Dec 5 2006 at 07:58 PM said:
m8ex posted on Dec 5 2006 at 06:47 PM said:
No thats 4 times bigger than the original.

Well it is still doubled, but in both x and y directions. It is basically 2:1 scaling.
But if you double the size two times it will be four times bigger. (Xx2x2=4X) basic math
:p
^smilie
They do? I know that if you pass an array as an argument to a function that a pointer is passed to the original array :unsure:

An array is a pointer to the area in memory in which the actual data resides. Each [number], therefore, is array pointer+number*sizeof(array type).

Shikaku posted on Dec 8 2006 at 02:58 PM said:
Hanz™ posted on Dec 8 2006 at 12:45 PM said:
god.
don't be a moron.
arrays and pointers go hand in hand.

<--- Java programmer.

I wouldn't know a C pointer even if you slapped me with it.

<smacks Shikaku with a *dildo>

saehn posted on Dec 3 2006 at 08:29 PM said:
Look at this way: the vector introduced in dimension N+1 is simultaneously perpendicular to all vectors existing in the Nth dimension.

Don't let my lecturer hear you saying that, you most certainly don't need an orthonormal basis for a vector space. The just have to be linearly independent.

Bingo Jesus posted on Dec 9 2006 at 05:50 AM said:
Don't let my lecturer hear you saying that, you most certainly don't need an orthonormal basis for a vector space. The just have to be linearly independent.

To put it another way, this seems like the most rational perspective to me:
New dimension introduced in 2d is sim. perpendicular to all line segments existing in the 1d.
New dimension introduced in 3d is sim. perpendicular to all line segments existing in the 2d.
New dimension introduced in 4d is sim. perpendicular to all line segments existing in the 3d.

I've stated my position and have provided some supporting evidence (referring not to the above but more so the articles cited in my previous posts). If you'd like to do the same for your perspective, I welcome a real open discussion on the subject. Others who commented on the original topic haven't really shown any evidence for their perspective, only stating disagreement and/or dismissing our ability to understand the concept at all.

AFAIK, this issue (4d = time/space) has not been resolved at the academic or scientific level and is still in debate.

PSyMastR posted on Dec 9 2006 at 05:05 AM said:
Quantum physics has been able to theorize that our brains work backwards in time.
It has.... I thought it just used neurotransmitters, and they don't work backwards in time :unsure:

sam fisher posted on Dec 10 2006 at 09:48 AM said:
PSyMastR posted on Dec 9 2006 at 05:05 AM said:
Quantum physics has been able to theorize that our brains work backwards in time.
It has.... I thought it just used neurotransmitters, and they don't work backwards in time :unsure:

No, sam, really?

Back