Impractical Pandora-successor names

Dragonbox
I believe this has been suggested before. I am not opposed to this name, but I feel like we can do better. I would like the name of the new device to express a connection to either community, homebrew, or retro gaming.
-God Ginrai
Look back in the thread. ED already said he didnt want to call it thatLOL! What if we called it the GBAXinator?

Dragonbox
I believe this has been suggested before. I am not opposed to this name, but I feel like we can do better. I would like the name of the new device to express a connection to either community, homebrew, or retro gaming.
-God Ginrai
Look back in the thread. ED already said he didnt want to call it thatLOL! What if we called it the GBAXinator?
I think you need to look back in the thread, not me. The only name that ED is opposed to is something that uses "Pandora". And that's because the next handheld will be separate from Craig. See here:

My vote goes to keeping the Pandora name/logo. It already has such a strong following and it would be nice to associate the device with a success story rather than having it deemed a failure/struggle. I just like the brand I guess.
As far as I remember, Craig has rights for this brand and therefore it will not be used.
No, I've got it registered, however, the device still wouldn't be without Craig, so it'd feel wrong to me to release a device with the same name but without Craig.
Also, GBAXinator would be a horrible name. Especially considering that Craig is not going to be involved with this.

-God Ginrai

Using two words seems to help with search results...

Duckduckgoing "GCW zero" brings up many results for the console and very little else

So how about the "Dragonbox Pyrrha", where another device could be the "Dragonbox Foobar" ?

Also, GBAXinator would be a horrible name. Especially considering that Craig is not going to be involved with this.
I believe you are posting in the wrong thread. :p
I get your point. But when ED started responding to the thread's suggestions, the thread seemed to have mostly switched over to more serious suggestions. Hence my serious suggestions. ;)

-God Ginrai

I believe you are posting in the wrong thread. :p
I get your point. But when ED started responding to the thread's suggestions, the thread seemed to have mostly switched over to more serious suggestions. Hence my serious suggestions. ;)
-God Ginrai
My bad. I guess I wqs remembering another thread. And as for the GBAXinator, im surprised you missed the sarcasm. I tried to coat it thick, but the internet always looses stuff in translation. oh well

I vote for the Dragonfly forever... is the Dragonfly used in other things? GOOD!

The difference between somebody looking for something else and finding the opendragonfly 

and

somebody looking for the openpandragon directly.

Doesn't matter ;)

Its much harder to stumble on something with a common name.

<reads article>

<sees a reference to something called phoenix and playing old games>

<googles "phoenix gaming">

<gets hundreds of irrelevant results>

<forgets about it>

^ Too long?

What's not to like about "Pyrrha"?

I see advantages that it's:

• Classically the daughter of Pandora
  • Sounds kinda similar (same first and last letters)
  • Rare as a search result
  • Sounds like it might have something to do with fire (=dragon)
  • Hard to spell
  • no, wait, thats a disadvantage isn't it?
  • Umm... :rolleyes:

^ Too long?

What's not to like about "Pyrrha"?

I see advantages that it's:

• Classically the daughter of Pandora
  • Sounds kinda similar (same first and last letters)
  • Rare as a search result
  • Sounds like it might have something to do with fire (=dragon)
  • Hard to spell
  • no, wait, thats a disadvantage isn't it?
  • Umm... :rolleyes:
Whats not to like?

Ill tell you

Hey whats that cool handheld you got there?

>>Ya its my new Pyrrha

A what?

>>Pyrrha p-y-r-r-h-a. You should google it.

Ok, cant right now, gotta go. Ill do it when I get home

*gets home*

*google.com*

What was it called again? Pyriamid? I cant remember

"handheld console py"

--no relevant results

"game computer pyramid"

--nothing relevant

"pirah console"

--nothing

Gawd I cant rememebr what it was called. Oh well I'll figure it out later.

*forgets to come back to it and a potential sale is lost*

Fair enough...
While I like it, its too damn hard to spell.

The name "tumblr" nailed it by being easy to spell, rolls off the tounge, but at the time had nothing else on ghe web with the same name. I wish we could time travel and buy the rights to "Tumblr" and use it for ourselves.

We could try removing vowels from words and run from there? Ill start

instead of Pandora 2, Pnd Tw

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough...
While I like it, its too damn hard to spell.

The name "tumblr" nailed it by being easy to spell, rolls off the tounge, but at the time had nothing else on ghe web with the same name. I wish we could time travel and buy the rights to "Tumblr" and use it for ourselves.

We could try removing vowels from words and run from there? Ill start

instead of Pandora 2, Pnd Tw
Would you dismiss me as a lanuage nerd if I said that I strongly dislike that sort of abbreviation?

I actually find them hard to spell, in the same way that its hard to force yourself to drive down the wrong side of the road for long distances.

The next thing you know, we'll have a pandora lite that allows you to work smart :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I'd prefer if we moved away from the Greek Mythos for the next name. If we must use mythological references, there are tons of Gaelic, Norse, and Japanese myths we could dig something out from.

-God Ginrai

Back