Impressive 8-Bit Colour Cycling HTML5 Demo

Amiga 500 only had 32 colours at once AFAIK but I could be wrong.
Low res modes (320x256 or 320x512 (I'm a PAL user)) had up to 32 colours (from a palette of 4096), 64 colours in Extra Half Bright mode (you define 32 colours, then the next 32 are copies of the previous 32 at half the brightness) and Hold And Modify (6 bits per pixel which can be 16 colour registers, copy the previous pixel but change the 4 bit red, copy the previous pixel but change the 4 bit green and copy the previous pixel but change the 4 bit blue).

High res modes (640x256 or 640x512) had up to 16 colours.

Thanks to copper lists (coprocessor code), you could change screen res, screen mode and colour registers on any line of the screen. You could do it across the screen too, but changing one register took the time of several pixels (can't remember now, it was something like 4-8 pixels).

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool Music in "Soccer Kid", I like it. Also very nice graphics and everything is so smooth. I only know this game by name and from ancient Gaming Magazines but I guess it was a good game.

I remember another graphical burner, "Turrican 3" was more or less converted from "Mega Turrican" from the Megadrive (I only played the MD version) The Amiga Version had basicly the same graphics but with less colours and some effects were missing. Also less Animations like you can read in the very interesting development diary of Turrican 3 for Amiga (if you can read german ^^" )

http://www.nemmelhei...pment-diary.php

Still one of the graphical most impressive games on the Megadrive, Factor 5 quality. :) Again a good example how much you can pull out of an limited colour palette. For Example, the Dev wrote in the article, that he had to reduce the entire foreground graphics of Level 3 to only 8 colours to be able for an Parallax effect in the entire level. Still looks great. :)

...wow, and they made the Amiga Version in only 6 Months, not that bad for a small Team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man these remind me of some of the scene stuff on Amiga. Happy days.

Back