Beta Improved Sdl

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
I wasn't too happy there was still no improved SDL for pandora so I did my own. This version has doublebuffering, vsync and hardware scaling support (plus many new bugs I guess). I don't plan to work on it any further (except bugfixes maybe), so feel free to make a better one/fork this one/send patches/whatever.

To use it, you need to copy it somewhere and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/there/ so it gets loaded instead of real SDL. You also need to set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=omapdss environment variable, see readme for further details.

binaries:
http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/pandora/omapsdl_latest.zip
source (git):
git://notaz.gp2x.de/~notaz/sdl_omap.git

notaz said:
Awesome !!!!
Thanks Notaz, from my initials testing it work like a charm see here.
One question though, the readme say that it can scale from any resolution, does this mean this can also down-scale stuff ?

PokeParadox said:
Can we just replace the onboard SDL with this?

Once bugs are ironed (needs to fine them first :p), I'm sure this will end on our NAND.

Last edited by a moderator:
sebt3 said:
One question though, the readme say that it can scale from any resolution, does this mean this can also down-scale stuff ?
Sure, however I haven't tested that.

Magic Sam said:
Hi,
Mjlink said:
Anyone feel like .PNDing this for us non-Linux non-guru types?

After the bugs are gone :)

Danks!
Why would you like to PND a development library ? :blink:

EDIT: and thank you notaz !

Bye, Magic Sam
Perhaps a PND based installer? ... that's all I can come up with. :S

laurens said:
has anybody done any speed comparisons yet? From notaz changes, it looks as if things with scaling are faster, don't know if that's used a lot?
If you were using SDL to render, before this, any scaller had to be software. And hardware scaller are way faster than any software scaller.
In the foggy forest in 3T, it wasn't full speed with a simple scaller even at 850Mhz. The game is now full speed at 500Mhz everywhere

Notaz even made it damn easy to use.
Now to port a wiz game that use SDL, it is as easy as recompile for pandora with no code change, copy the config file provided (and adapt it a little) to get the control remapped, create a 4 lines launcher script and that done !

Thanks for your hard work, notaz.

Unfortunately I get a segmentation fault with UAE4All.

I tried this:

Code:
export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=omapdss
export SDL_OMAP_LAYER_SIZE=640x480    //also tried 'fullscreen'
LD_PRELOAD=./libSDL-1.2.so.0 ./uae4all_fame 240    //uses 320x240 SDL_Surface
Also tried without LD_PRELOAD (just replaced the existing SDL in /usr/lib) with the same result (segmentation fault).

With SteveM's modded SDL this works fine (but I'd like to try your doublebuffering & "new" vsync):

Code:
export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=fbcon
export SDL_FBDEV=/dev/fb1
export SDL_FB_BROKEN_MODES=1
ofbset -fb $SDL_FBDEV -pos 80 0 -size 640 480 -mem 153600 -en 1
fbset -fb $SDL_FBDEV -g 320 240 320 240 16
LD_PRELOAD=./libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.3 op_runfbapp ./uae4all_fame 240

What am I doing wrong that UAE4All doesn't work with your SDL (screen goes black for the fraction of a second, but then crashes with segfault)?
Is it maybe because I have still the old VSync-code in my code (as taken from the FAQ)?

Hi,
Mjlink said:
PokeParadox said:
Perhaps a PND based installer? ... that's all I can come up with. :S
That's what i'm talking about
I'm sorry but I still don't understand :unsure: A PND based installer for what ? To install the libs at the right place if you compile on the Pandora, "bollocks style" ?
Bye, Magic Sam

john4p said:
What am I doing wrong that UAE4All doesn't work with your SDL (screen goes black for the fraction of a second, but then crashes with segfault)?
Is it maybe because I have still the old VSync-code in my code (as taken from the FAQ)?
Most likely hits some bug, is it with last released UAE4ALL version?

notaz said:
Most likely hits some bug, is it with last released UAE4ALL version?
Yes. Here's the binary release of it if you'd like to debug your SDL: http://www.filefront.com/17279197/uae4all.zip

You'll have to call uae4all_fame with the number of wanted lines, so for example uae4all_fame 240. Then it'll use an SDL_Surface with 320x240 pixels

If you just call uae4all_fame without a number it'll use an RGB_Surface and double the pixels to another 640x480 SDL_Surface.

Back