Increase In 2nd Batch Price More Likely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ED:
Da gehts uns momentan wie allen, die in Deutschland sind: Es hängt alles am Dollarkurs.
Ich habe letztens erst Geld für LCDs überwiesen. 45000 USD. Hätte ich eine Woche FRÜHER überwiesen, hätte ich 13500 EUR weniger zahlen müssen.
Da Produktion und alles von USD abhängt und der Dollarkurs momentan ja mehr als ein paar Euro schwankt, kann man fast nur noch wöchentliche Preise machen.
Wen der Kurs wieder sinkt, wird der Preis beibehalten.
Es war von Anfang an Zero-Profit bei der ersten Lieferung geplant - nur die Entwicklungs-Kosten wollten wir wieder reinbekommen, das klappt aber wahrscheinlich auch nicht ganz. Aber wenn sich das Gerät gut verkauft und verbreitet, dann werden auch die Produktionskosten günstiger und wir verdienen langsam was

Rough translation:
For us in Germany everything depends on the dollar rate.
I've recently payed 45,000 USD for LCDs. If I had payed a week sooner, I would have payed 13,500 EUR(ED said EUR, I don't know, if he meant USD, though) less.
Because the production depends on the USD and the USD rate fluctuates much in the moment, we can only make weekly prices.
If the exchange rate lowers again, the price will remain the same.
Zero profit was planned for the first batch, we just wanted to cover the development costs, but that won't work out presumably.
But if the Pandora sells good and spreads, the production costs will decline and we will earn money.

Hello everyone, Right we were going to mention this somewhere so it may as well go here.

The price of batch two will be $339. That will be converted in to pounds/euros when we are ready to take orders for the second batch.

So there you go, price fixed, in dollars, to $339 (ex taxes) which includes the upgraded RAM and NAND.

This is real bleeding edge tech for a very low price when compared to similar machines, we have done everything we can to get the price as low as we can - but one thing we won't drop is quality - we won't use chinese factories, cheap parts etc. almost everything (inc the pcb) is made in north America.

What does that mean for you? It means if anything goes wrong it's all guaranteed and it meets safety standards. It also means high quality not Chinese PMP style quality.

We have learnt that the reason Chinese stuff is cheap is because it IS cheap and nasty - So we could all save $80 but get a device which is made to the lowest standards or pay a little more and get something high quality.

6 months from now you will be happy we did that I hope :) and the extra cost will have been worth it.

I just don't want to deal with a GP2X First edition fiasco again. So we won't be running to the cheapest factory any time soon.

craigix said:
This is real bleeding edge tech for a very low price when compared to similar machines, we have done everything we can to get the price as low as we can - but one thing we won't drop is quality - we won't use chinese factories, cheap parts etc. almost everything (inc the pcb) is made in north America.
Just to check. Is it true for the first batch too ?

Edit: thanks n_n.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I had my suspicions there would be an increase in price. But $10 seems to hit that sweet spot just fine. It would seem pretty silly of me to regret not getting it from the first batch over a matter of $10.

PoisonedV said:
Pleng said:
Gautama said:
I believe that Craigx has said that with the additional RAM and NAND the team won't be making any money off of the first batch. Does this mean that the second batch will cost more so that a profit is made?
There was a vague hint from Craig somewhere way back (just after the pre-orders started) that there may need to be a price increase for the second batch. I would imagine that the increase in ram and NAND will now be enough to justify a price increase from batch 2 onwards.

total bullshit. price changes are extremely unlikely- they already had the RAM and NAND before the mishaps, so they knew the status quo all along and didn't have to change drastically. production methods become more efficient, manufacturers are more trusting, sponsorship- these all lower prices of a second batch.

total bullshit.

The price of batch two will be $339.

'nuff said!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back