Install to SD card PND

Dave1234

I was doing an install of the Pandora OS to an SD card the other day (as per these instructions) and I thought "I could probably write a PND to do this". I'm thinking of something with a simple GUI that will partition and format an SD card and install the OS files for you. My questions are:

1. Has this already been done or is being worked on (I searched and didn't find anything).

2. Would anyone be interested in this?

I don't think it's been done, and I do think it would be a good idea. One less barrier in getting people to dev on their Pandora or otherwise fool around, can only be a good thing.

Probably getting ahead of myself here, but I wonder how one-click you could really make it. ie. would you have a script to download the firmware image direct to the Pandora (that could be problematic for some people), or would you require it to be already present on the SD the PND is running from. Just a train of thought, you don't have to answer that yet.

I don't think its been done. It would be a convenient way to do things, so I would be interested for sure.

Would be good if other OS could also be done this way in the future aswell, Debian, Lxde, Gentoo, Android etc as and when folks get it all figured out, stable enough for general users and have set themselves up donation pages :)

Probably getting ahead of myself here, but I wonder how one-click you could really make it. ie. would you have a script to download the firmware image direct to the Pandora (that could be problematic for some people), or would you require it to be already present on the SD the PND is running from. Just a train of thought, you don't have to answer that yet.

My first option would be to download the firmware separately and have the script ask where the file is. Something like this:

1. Download firmware and installer PND and copy to an SD card.

2. Put that card in the right slot, with the one you want to install to in the left.

3. Run the installer PND.

4. Installer asks for the firmware file, does some checks and installs to the left SD card.

Once I have this working I could look at adding an option to download the firmware for you.

Would be good if other OS could also be done this way in the future aswell, Debian, Lxde, Gentoo, Android etc as and when folks get it all figured out, stable enough for general users and have set themselves up donation pages :)

That shouldn't be a problem as the script only needs to know where the kernel is. As long as it's in the same place as in the Pandora firmware, no modifications are necessary.

I was doing an install of the Pandora OS to an SD card the other day (as per these instructions) and I thought "I could probably write a PND to do this". I'm thinking of something with a simple GUI that will partition and format an SD card and install the OS files for you. My questions are:

1. Has this already been done or is being worked on (I searched and didn't find anything).

2. Would anyone be interested in this?

Hi

Sounds like a good idea, even with the other link.

I've got the first second third version of this up in the beta testing section. Please let me know what you think.

Updating this for every version is getting silly now, just go here and follow the link to the latest version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back