Install Video Camera

jakexgt

Still Fresh
I would love to buy one of these. It can do almost everything I need except video conference with family over Skype while on trips. Please install a camera above the screen. Nothing crazy. a 1.3mp will do perfectly. Then my military friends and I would be happy to buy them. We travel a lot so this would be perfect if we could Skype also. Thank you for your time.

Their not going to add a camera in at this late a stage. However its very likely that you'll be able to get a usb webcam working with little trouble. Skype isn't openly available for ARM (there was talk of possibly trying to get the nokia 800 version working or something) so Skype itself is not likely, there are however other voip programs that we are much more likely to see on the pandora.

To my knowledge (and my knowledge may very well be wrong :p), a camera such as this one ought to work. As I understand it, it's certainly supported by the Linux kernel - but obviously I haven't gotten to test it on an actual Pandora yet, only on my main PC, which runs Kubuntu. :p

jakexgt said:
I would love to buy one of these. It can do almost everything I need except video conference with family over Skype while on trips. Please install a camera above the screen. Nothing crazy. a 1.3mp will do perfectly. Then my military friends and I would be happy to buy them. We travel a lot so this would be perfect if we could Skype also. Thank you for your time.
You're a little late to the party my friend. All the beer is gone, although that didn't stop you from getting wasted when you posted this.

Last edited by a moderator:
^Your post is written as if you're asking the dev team directly to either change the Pandora's design to include a webcam, or else manually install one in your pandora alone; both possibilities are, of course, completely infeasible. It's practically one of these forums' fads/memes to make a nonsensical pseudoenglish post with a new account requesting massive changes to the Pandora's overall design for a specific ruled-out feature.

@jakexgt
You will certainly be able to use a cheap USB camera (or possibly even the camera on a mobile phone through Bluetooth) and VoIP software (though not necessarily Skype) on Pandora. In other words, you can do what you were hoping to do.

However, if you must have an in-built camera your only route now is modding.

Well is there any consideration for adding this in the OpenPandora II? Nobody said this HAS to be on the very first model. After all, with the smashing success of the first model, I'm sure there will be room for improvement. With that in mind, I will (seriously) not buy a pandora until the next model incorporates a basic webcam at the top of the screen. Nuff said.

Guru

Back