Installing Linux, Win7, Winxp From Scratch...

dnlgreenwood

I'LL END YOU!!!
Hi,
I'm having LOTS of problems with Windows 7 (either glitches in the OS or damage sue to a virus; I have no idea) so I want to start all over again and reinstall it. (I also have Windows XP installed, as well, so I'll reinstall that, too.) While I'm at it, I want to isntall some form of Linux. I've used Arch before, but I want something different. What distribution do you recommend? Also, what order should I install these in? I'd imagine it to be XP first, then 7, then Linux. In the mean time, I have a LOT of files to back up via FTP to my other computer, most of which I will probably never need again.

Not much experience with Linux, Ubuntu does what I need. On that note, defidently XP->7->linux, at least as long as whatever linux youre installing has good support for adding other OS's to the bootloader when it installs it.

zacaj said:
Not much experience with Linux, Ubuntu does what I need. On that note, defidently XP->7->linux, at least as long as whatever linux youre installing has good support for adding other OS's to the bootloader when it installs it.
I don't have another computer around, so installing Linux might be a shot in the dark... well, more like a shot in a room with dim lighting. I guess I have to find some drivers for my wlan adapter (not that hard to find). I guess I could always use the web browser on my DS Lite, but it barely works.

I'm glad I keep an FTP server running on my desktop... otherwise I'd have no way to back my files up :D

I remember having sound problems in Ubuntu eee; I don't think it applies to all distros of Ubuntu, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Linux-wise, give Linux Mint a go - it's based on Ubuntu and is a gentle introduction to Linux.

As zacaj says, install whatever distro of Linux you choose last, as it'll recognise your other OSes and add them to the boot menu. Windows won't.

Edit: If you're trying to decide on a Linux distro, I'd recommend installing some as VMs in VirtualBox and giving them a test drive.

fishybawb said:
Linux-wise, give Linux Mint a go - it's based on Ubuntu and is a gentle introduction to Linux.

As zacaj says, install whatever distro of Linux you choose last, as it'll recognise your other OSes and add them to the boot menu. Windows won't.

Edit: If you're trying to decide on a Linux distro, I'd recommend installing some as VMs in VirtualBox and giving them a test drive.
This isn't my first time using Linux; I've used Linux all summer (June to August) and I remember using a virtual machine before (probably Macintosh Plus.)
I have downloaded the Windows installer for Ubuntu. I'm going to run it after I install XP (I'm done with the backup). I might scrap installing Windows 7, because it's a hard drive space and resource hog, but I'll miss it because I really like the Windows 7 Explorer. I have to figure out how to dump saved network passwords in 7... Speaking of networks, I found an STA driver for my wireless adapter (yay!) but I can't remember how to install it. Oh well, I'll figure it out later. (Edit: found a readme file with full instructions.)

The STA drivers's webpage: (yes, adding "apostrophe s" after "s" is optional in Canadian English.)
http://www.broadcom....1/linux_sta.php

Edit:
I want both 7 and XP, but I only want to keep one. XP is so outdated, but 7 doesn't run as well. It's hard to choose. My laptop was originally designed for Windows XP, but it came with Windows 7 Starter. I didn't like Starter, so I installed Ultimate, which has more features like changing your desktop background, and using an extended desktop to name a few.

Com64 said:
This isn't my first time using Linux; I've used Linux all summer (June to August) and I remember using a virtual machine before (probably Macintosh Plus.)
I have downloaded the Windows installer for Ubuntu. I'm going to run it after I install XP (I'm done with the backup). I might scrap installing Windows 7, because it's a hard drive space and resource hog, but I'll miss it because I really like the Windows 7 Explorer. I have to figure out how to dump saved network passwords in 7... Speaking of networks, I found an STA driver for my wireless adapter (yay!) but I can't remember how to install it. Oh well, I'll figure it out later. (Edit: found a readme file with full instructions.)

The STA drivers's webpage: (yes, adding "apostrophe s" after "s" is optional in Canadian English.)

Edit:
I want both 7 and XP, but I only want to keep one. XP is so outdated, but 7 doesn't run as well. It's hard to choose. My laptop was originally designed for Windows XP, but it came with Windows 7 Starter. I didn't like Starter, so I installed Ultimate, which has more features like changing your desktop background, and using an extended desktop to name a few.

fishybawb i`m sure did not mean that literally, Linux Mint is Ubuntu done right, With all the codec`s you should need, And a (subjectively) better menu, Update system and quite a few other things. Mint is based off of Ubuntu, But is a few months behind each Ubuntu release, Which gives the Mint team time to correct some of the bugs etc that are left in the Ubuntu release.

As for your Windows 7 quandary, Have a look for (Though you never heard it from me) Windows 7 ultimate lite (Tiny7 (x86) eXPerience), It takes 2.5GB of space once installed, Has Aero, Auto update etc, And is bloody fast. Or just nLite your own copy.

And Yes, Install XP -> Win7 -> Linux.

EDIT: Just a little pic of my Mint desktop, As i have been using it for around 3 years, And have been using linux for around 5 years. Linux Mint has been the most complete version of Linux i have used, Though Puppy is great too.

Screenshot.png

Trooper

trooper said:
Com64 said:

Edit:

fishybawb i`m sure did not mean that literally, Linux Mint is Ubuntu done right, With all the codec`s you should need, And a (subjectively) better menu, Update system and quite a few other things. Mint is based off of Ubuntu, But is a few months behind each Ubuntu release, Which gives the Mint team time to correct some of the bugs etc that are left in the Ubuntu release.

As for your Windows 7 quandary, Have a look for (Though you never heard it from me) Windows 7 ultimate lite (Tiny7 (x86) eXPerience), It takes 2.5GB of space once installed, Has Aero, Auto update etc, And is bloody fast. Or just nLite your own copy.

And Yes, Install XP -> Win7 -> Linux.

EDIT: Just a little pic of my Mint desktop, As i have been using it for around 3 years, And have been using linux for around 5 years. Linux Mint has been the most complete version of Linux i have used, Though Puppy is great too.

[Insert Pic Here]

Trooper

Sweet desktop! I usually go for the most basic-looking visual theme, though.

Windblows (lol) XP is still installing because I'm using my slower USB drive because I lent my faster one to a friend. I've managed to re-arrange my bedroom, set up a drum set, walk down to a sushi restaurant, buy dinner, come back, eat, practice piano, and it's at 80% of the first part of the installation.

I have around 150GB of hard disk space on my laptop... I think I'll allocate about 80 to Windows XP, and 70 to Mint. I think I'll let Mint replace Windows 7. Well, I guess I should allocate 100 for windows and 50 to mint; I dunno. I think I'll use Mint as my main OS, and XP for running windows-exclusive programs and suites.

PS, I like those pics in your "terry" folder :lol:
I also like the music you're playing.

What desktop environment do you recommend?

Edit:
Screw it, I'm using gnome

Edit:
Whoo! I've installed mint, and it's working. It even downloaded and installed my wireless adapter's drivers for me. I didn't need to find them myself. It came preinstalled with thunderbird (which is awesome; every operating system should come with it :D)

I haven't tested XP to check if it still works, but it should; it shows up in the boot menu.

Yeah Stick with gnome, Kde Is too quirky, Xfce too restrictive and Lxde and openbox too basic.

I guess by the look of things, You are quite happy with Mint ?.

Trooper

trooper said:
Yeah Stick with gnome, Kde Is too quirky, Xfce too restrictive and Lxde and openbox too basic.

I guess by the look of things, You are quite happy with Mint ?.

Trooper

I'm really happy with it! I haven't done much yet because I've been messing around with my new old TV (it wouldn't change channels)

Back