Installing Windows XP on Pandora?

patrick295767

Hello,

I got asked yesterday if that would be possible. I dont see so much ways since Pandora is a pretty different machine.

Could XP somehow be installed ? 

Regards

I can try it on qemu.

On the Pandora GHZ Edition should it work slowly but work.

Qemu is in the Pandora Repo as PND and when you want to boot from Iso add the parameter -boot d

win95 and win 98 work fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
The main problem is that the Pandora has an ARM processor and Windows (apart from the most recent versions) are only available to run on x86 or AMD64 processors. (the later is a 64-bit extension of the x86 architecture sometimes known as x86_64 or incorrectly(!) as 'x64')

x86 and AMD64 both use far too much power to be truly suitable for a pocket computer, and this situation was worse back in 2008 when the pandora was being designed.

This means that the pandora has to emulate a x86 system (this is what QEMU does) before running XP. Whenever you use one system to emulate another you lose a lot of computing performance.

The only way to avoid this would be to persuade Microsoft to port winXP to ARM (and the pandora specifically). There is no chance of that happening!

Aaand even if M$ ported XP to ARM, none of the apps would work since they are x86 binaries, see Windows 8 vs Windows RT.

At a pinch you might be able to recompile commercial x86 binaries for arm - but that would be dodgy and complicated.

If you use an emulator performance will be pitiful.

too long; didn't read: not practical.

At a pinch you might be able to recompile commercial x86 binaries for arm - but that would be dodgy and complicated.

If you use an emulator performance will be pitiful.

too long; didn't read: not practical.
Recompilation for ARM is possible yet: With the wine libs. Their exist for ARM, too. ;) In fact, that is the only reason, why there is a ARM version of wine...

Get XMSol in the repo on Takaeda's emulator , and will have an "living" example of that.

Also, it's in the current Code::blocks PND.
yeah i knew those pnd,i thought there was an app to run wine(compiled) stuff on pandora..i..e:i have X game that runs on windows,and i thought there's an arm wine pnd that lets you convert such game for pandora

Wine arm only runs arm code iirc.
This was on N900 a few years back. You can not run x86 programs/code.

Just win-ARM code (winCE).

Again, Wine is already running on the Pandora. But as kingoddball said, it run only Arm binary, not x86.
Wow cool,have you tried PocketPC Software or Windows Mobile?

I am interested on Age of Empires for Pocket PC and yes its Windows and Arm Binary :)

http://download.chip.eu/de/Age-of-Empires-Pocket-PC-Edition_1429712.html (Demo Version)

First must you extract the Cab Files then you reach the Binaries ;)

This may be wonderfull for many Pocketpcgames.

Again, Wine is already running on the Pandora. But as kingoddball said, it run only Arm binary, not x86.
Wow cool,have you tried PocketPC Software or Windows Mobile?

I am interested on Age of Empires for Pocket PC and yes its Windows and Arm Binary :)

http://download.chip.eu/de/Age-of-Empires-Pocket-PC-Edition_1429712.html (Demo Version)

First must you extract the Cab Files then you reach the Binaries ;)

This may be wonderfull for many Pocketpcgames.
i'll try that someday. I don't have enough time for doing every thing I want.

Anyway, I'm not sure of the status of WinCE in Wine. I'll try (but Wine is in the latest code::blocks PND, so you can try to). I don't think GAPI games will work, so that may limit somewhat game library. But all this require testing.

Well, with Wine coming to Android, we should be able to get it built for the OP soon(ish)

ref: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI5MjA
I assume the Android one is going to come with some sort of Dynarec otherwise that will be just as useless. If it does - it would be worth building. If it doesn't - why bother in the compiling it in the first place?

If you get a lightweight distro of XP, I imagine it *could* be done with a 1Ghz unit. It might be faster to just remotely connect to an XP desktop running on a cheap netbook or something (which would still be very fast considering how old XP is)

Back