Instant Pandora with a premium?

I'm with you, I am totally lost about all this. It's like Craig set the timer on a tactical forum nuke and ran!

:D

This is a total madhouse :lol:

After volcanoes, 2 years of delays, burning cars, and finally crazy que hopping I feel that nothing else can possibly go wrong.

But in saying that I feel I have doomed us all...

Shhh! Pipe down! Murphy will hear you! :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Leaving aside all the rest of the debate, what confuses me the most right now is what people are actually buying when they pay for an express Pandora. What's the difference? Is it just a different sticker and a guaranteed 7-day delivery now? There was talk about paint jobs and customisation and things, but if it was resolved, I haven't a clue what the results were.

I'm asking because I'm debating upgrading to an express unit from a 1st-batch order, and am wondering exactly what I'd be getting if I did compared to where I am now. Anyone care to clarify?

Seconded. I'd like to know what else I'm getting from this.

Okay, is this how it is suppose to go if all the board and parts are available? If so I'm all for it.

<Thumbnail>

I think not, simply because your representation implies that the new workers would only be working on the 7-day units. As far as Craig has explained it, ALL workers will be working on ALL units, in a production-line style, thereby increasing the production speed by >2x.

Also, what order they will be done in (e.g. preorders:instant) has not been made public, though I believe Craig will keep the numbers sensible enough that the number of preorders built would be greater than they would have been without the extra money and labour.

You make a good point, but aren't you saying that everything will go faster? I know that the graphic is flawed, but it does show how things will go faster. Also if people are getting these in 7 days aren't they going to be made first instead of concurrently? While this might be true, they will be made so fast it won't make a difference right?

Okay, is this how it is suppose to go if all the board and parts are available? If so I'm all for it.

<Thumbnail>

I think not, simply because your representation implies that the new workers would only be working on the 7-day units. As far as Craig has explained it, ALL workers will be working on ALL units, in a production-line style, thereby increasing the production speed by >2x.

Also, what order they will be done in (e.g. preorders:instant) has not been made public, though I believe Craig will keep the numbers sensible enough that the number of preorders built would be greater than they would have been without the extra money and labour.

You make a good point, but aren't you saying that everything will go faster? I know that the graphic is flawed, but it does show how things will go faster. Also if people are getting these in 7 days aren't they going to be made first instead of concurrently? While this might be true, they will be made so fast it won't make a difference right?

Yes. You are exactly right, the main problem with the graphic is that it gives the impression that some people will be working on the preorder units, and others on the instant ones, which is what I believe I8NY was getting at.

At a batch one waiter I personally think I have 3 main choices with the premium buy.

1. Do nothing and get my batch 1 pandy sooner.

2. Cancel my batch 1 and get a premium pandy in 7 days.

3. Get my batch 1 pandy sooner and also buy a premium pandy.

-3a. Then I could have 2 pandys (one for me and missus)

-3b. Or keep the batch 1 in it's box and wait till the batch 1 have totally sold out and then see if I can sell it for lots of money!

Seems to be all wins to me!

PS personally I'm hoping for choice 3 and 3a, just need to wait for the rubber stamp of approval :D

At a batch one waiter I personally think I have 3 main choices with the premium buy.

1. Do nothing and get my batch 1 pandy sooner.

2. Cancel my batch 1 and get a premium pandy in 7 days.

3. Get my batch 1 pandy sooner and also buy a premium pandy.

-3a. Then I could have 2 pandys (one for me and missus)

-3b. Or keep the batch 1 in it's box and wait till the batch 1 have totally sold out and then see if I can sell it for lots of money!

Seems to be all wins to me!

PS personally I'm hoping for choice 3 and 3a, just need to wait for the rubber stamp of approval :D

Pssst...! OPT only accepts currency! Stamps won't do anything! ;)

Yes. You are exactly right, the main problem with the graphic is that it gives the impression that some people will be working on the preorder units, and others on the instant ones, which is what I believe I8NY was getting at.

Well as long as I am not perpetuating completely false information I guess it's ok. <_<

I think people get the general idea though and I don't have time to make a better graphic. Let me know if you make a better graphic, I will put it up. I'm off to bed, peace out everyone.

First batch delay?

Sept. 30th 2008 8:30 pm UTC is the last date I have seen involving order time / shipping email confirmation. It will be interesting to see what kind of lag we will see in shipping conformation emails. I bet it will be a week before we see any shipping confirmations from any first batchers. Im hoping no delays, really hoping..

First batch delay?

Nov. 30th 2008 8:30 pm UTC is the last date I have seen involving order time / shipping email confirmation. It will be interesting to see what kind of lag we will see in shipping conformation emails. I bet it will be a week before we see any shipping confirmations from any first batchers. I hoping no delays, really hoping..

I didn't get that impression from reading the thread. From what I gather extra money = extra hands = faster production taking in account of the premium pandys

First batch delay?

Nov. 30th 2008 8:30 pm UTC is the last date I have seen involving order time / shipping email confirmation. It will be interesting to see what kind of lag we will see in shipping conformation emails. I bet it will be a week before we see any shipping confirmations from any first batchers. I hoping no delays, really hoping..
I sincerely hope you mean Sept. 30 (as per This Thread), as I'm early-October. The thread I linked to ends at "26 Jan 2011 : Sep 30 2008 20:56 "

First batch delay?

I didn't get that impression from reading the thread. From what I gather extra money = extra hands = faster production taking in account of the premium pandys

Depends on how many orders they get for the 7 day pandoras, there may be an initial lag. 7 days is not a long time, and i feel there will be more than a few preorders jumping a head. Plus when will the extra help arrive? People do have lives, so it may take awhile to get the line staffed. Also if they temporary fill the staffing gap we may have quality issues..

I would actually pay for the premium.. if I didn't already get screwed over from the paypal fiasco and didn't buy some stupidly expensive gadgets in the last little while. My Pandora has cost me nearly $500 CAD already anyways, since the bank transfer cost me about $60, paying another ~$150 to make this Pandora I've waited for over 2 years cost $650+ isn't exactly on my priority list.... or even closer to $700 if customs decides to ding me.

I don't really have any problem with this. If the project is already treading on thin ice - what has to be done has to be done. The community is starved of units, the faster units go out the better it is for ALL of us period. More content creation, more ports, more people tinkering and finding out new things to share with everybody.

First batch delay?

I sincerely hope you mean Sept. 30 (as per This Thread), as I'm early-October. The thread I linked to ends at "26 Jan 2011 : Sep 30 2008 20:56 "

Yep ill fix that :)

Idea: Add a poll - yes, to THIS thread - Approve/Disapprove(only vote if you're in batch1 - show usernames of those who vote(yes there's an option for this)).
i have been following pandora for a long time before i preordered, i never had the cash, eventually just threw it on the credit card which i recently finished paying off, just because im batch 2, i feel i have been waiting for a long time myself. Batch 2 gets pushed back as well remember, i am not a fan of just being neglected because i am batch 2,dont take it personaly this is just my personal beliefs.

also mods feel free to delete this post if you so wish, i just wanted my say

First batch delay?

Depends on how many orders they get for the 7 day pandoras, there may be an initial lag. 7 days is not a long time, and i feel there will be more than a few preorders jumping a head. Plus when will the extra help arrive? People do have lives, so it may take awhile to get the line staffed. Also if they temporary fill the staffing gap we may have quality issues..

i was concerned about the staffing issue too, luckily i was one of the first to see the thread and managed to get a reply from craig which did kind of make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

wouldnt hiring 3 NEW people end up messing up a few pandoras due to training and general mistakes? i ask because my business goes through about 30 people a year and honestly most people just dont take their jobs seriously, i would prefer if these people understood that i dont want a broken or shoddy pandora, not to mention it might cost more in rma's

No, because 2 of them have already helped in the past and the jobs we give them are not technical rather just time consuming (putting the hinges in and the keymats adds on so much time but is dead simple work).

The main part, the LCD cable, the wifi and the testing will still be done by me.

The last month has been going at a million miles an hour for the team and we want to keep it going, it seems now we're in to a routine things are going really well and we can make them go faster and smoother yet.

I was a little miffed when I read this on Engadget a few hours ago. But I can understand the project needs to proceed and I need my Pandora (been waiting since Oct. 1st 2008 for it). How many premium pandoras are we talking about?

I was a little miffed when I read this on Engadget a few hours ago. But I can understand the project needs to proceed and I need my Pandora (been waiting since Oct. 1st 2008 for it). How many premium pandoras are we talking about?

Currently undisclosed. but Craig said earlier that he would close orders if the number got out of hand.

Seems like a lot of people are concerned about the exclusivity of their precious pandora :lol: Oh noes other people will also get one!
RARRRRRRRRR! They are all mine! MINE!

Just to make everyone really happy, especially those worried about the premium pandys generating more delay... I've passed on the sales link to everyone I know who is interested in getting one, especially those who would love to get it before me :) . I've also passed it to the games course which also teach on some gp2x!

Back