Instant Pandora with a premium?

It's not difficult to understand.

Nor is the frustration some of the day 1 batch 1 pre-orders who still don't have their Pandoras seeing units that they feel should be *theirs* going to somebody who may have placed their first order today.

Sorry to let it out on you. You are not the only one who doesn't understand it.

IF they would NOT do that, they produce 250 a week.

IF they do it, they produce 500 a week. THOSE 500-250=250 EXTRA units get sold as 7-dayers.

So, to sum it up: Every pre-orderer has to wait At MAXIMUM as long as he had to wait without this 7-dayers. IF only 200 of the 250 EXTRA units get sold, then the remaining 50 EXTRA units go into the Queue-Pool, therefore it is possible that the guys waiting in the Q have to WAIT LESS!

Maybe someone can explain it even more simple then I can.

For the record I have already agreed that this is a good idea. What I'm trying to do is stop people taking the piss.

I am sorry... but 1$ two years and a half ago, is not the same that 1$ today.

And reading all this, seems like you are talking that we didnt paid enough for this. When, each day that you keep one $, during all this time, you could do more money. And in the other hand, with the time, the prices of the electronic components decrease. Other thing is that maybe the way that you used to manage all this was not the best to use these two factors.

I dont know.... i just know that i didnt receive my pandora still, and i ordered long ago.... the second day, and cause i waited for the money of a friend that wanted to order at the same time with me. Now i am sure i will not pay that amount that day if i know all this. When i bought the pandora i was thinking in put some money in Jazztel, a telecom company, and in one year they duplicated the price... i could put this amount too there... but... just please, dont make the people feel more stupid they feel already, and just send the pandoras as soon as possible. do what ever, but send them...

I have realised that this is probably the best thing for the company and the community and can see how it will speed up delivery in the short term. My biggest worry is that more money will not make shipping or board/case production faster and I can’t help thinking that this will cause a backlog of orders, with nothing to assemble. Are they shipping the boards and cases by air as otherwise, I can see delays building up. If they limit the numbers of these instant orders then it would seem manageable.

Perhaps I haven’t grasped how many components there are ready to be assembled, or the speed of the process. Being at quite far towards the end of the first batch, I can’t help but worry that, although assembly will speed up, there are other factors in this that are less flexible.

Now, you may want to ridicule the reactions of some of us, but I do think that the first batchers deserve more respect than they are getting.
True - but too much respect and you become elitist. You start treating second batchers like we don't count. I'm not saying you do this, but I saw an opportunity to make this point >.<.

Yes - without you, there would not be this many Pandoras, we'd not be writing replies in this thread - but it's like thinking "What if my parents didn't exist" - you'd likely just be different/have different parents. Kinda paradoxical. So basically, people might think that it's nothing more than you being first in, a sort of coincidence. No, I think you sort of are our "parents" and that we should respect you(but not treat you like kings - no, that is too far).

But yeah - extra props to those who spend their time hacking away at the kernel and OS, and writing games. Maybe we can give maybe $20 *back* to people who order this way, if they contribute (exclude me if I decide to queue jump - which I am pretty sure I *won't*)?

I'm pissed too, that people are now being able to cut after you've been waiting years - some of these people are going to be people who doubted the project and left. And now they're supposed to be getting Pandoras *before* you, you who have been waiting patiently? It truly feels, even though I (have been following but) am not in batch1(couldn't afford a Pandora until recently), like the ultimate "haha, you've been waiting, and you're the one who deserves it more, but instead i'm going to give _aaaaalllll_ the _goooood stuff_ to the other guy who doesn't really deserve it, and just showed up(lol - since it's on engadget, probably also a nice bunch on Wintel noobs wanting to play Crysis - oh man, this will be *fuuun* on the forums in about a week's time. Good luck, I go back to school in a week :D :D :D ), but has more money than you". Craig wasn't trying to do that(of course! um - I hope), but that's pretty much what it's like.

Exactly, I'm not saying treat anybody any differently. I just want to make sure that everybody gets along here, understand where people are coming from when they're angry, and try not to take the piss.

Exactly, I'm not saying treat anybody any differently. I just want to make sure that everybody gets along here, understand where people are coming from when they're angry, and try not to take the piss.

Taken in context of people should treat each other with respect, I think that is a great way to act.

The problem is, when I read posts from people who either haven't read any of the posts in the thread and start panicking or scaremongering, or even worse ignore the posts of OPT then it is hard to see why they are acting the way they are.

Have you done any of those things that you just said?

I'm not after respect *ting*, especially from making a personal purchase.

Personally I'm no hacker, I don't have the interest or skills for it. But I can say when it comes to FOSS then rolling out hundreds of linux desktops, introducing the first linux production servers to my company (in 97) all generating revenue for their prospective companies. Then yes I've been a little involved. Also got a 160K GBP linux HPC under my belt ;)

Currently we are working with our academics to move away from proprietary apps such as Photoshop, Pro Tools and move to opensource solutions and teach good fundamental transferable skills rather then click function a and b.

Actually i was speaking about the development in the pandora community.

I personally have not done any development for the project, but I plan to in the future. Just learning linux here.. I'm just ready to get the wait over with. I know there will be delays involved with some of the first batch. I knew that when i posted that i thought the 7 day pandora was a good idea. I just want others to understand that there may be delays for first batchers who were expecting an email in the next day or so.. After the next week I think things will be ok. im just being realistic.

Also I'm just a PLC programmer here, Give me ladder and i can climb it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK As a first batcher I just want to say this.

When I ordered my Pandora, a few hours into day 1, I accepted that I was taking a risk. I accepted that I could lose my money. I sat through a long wait to get my Pandora. It finally arrived in July.

As batch one pre orderers you knew what you were getting yourselves into.

If OP need to do this in order to survive surely that's better that you missing out completely or getting a Pandora but having no chance of a Pandora 2?

I can fully understand people being annoyed about this situation but the alternative is slower production and no more Pandora's after the pre orders are fulfilled, if they ever get fulfilled.

Finally this thing is worth the wait... any wait. Just ask Dunny. One of the most vocal of whingers but he agrees it was all worth it!

Nor is the frustration some of the day 1 batch 1 pre-orders who still don't have their Pandoras seeing units that they feel should be *theirs* going to somebody who may have placed their first order today.

IF they do it, they produce 500 a week. THOSE 500-250=250 EXTRA units get sold as 7-dayers.

So, to sum it up: Every pre-orderer has to wait At MAXIMUM as long as he had to wait without this 7-dayers. IF only 200 of the 250 EXTRA units get sold, then the remaining 50 EXTRA units go into the Queue-Pool, therefore it is possible that the guys waiting in the Q have to WAIT LESS!

what if they sell... I don't know... 250+ instant pandoras that week? They sold 4000 in a matter of hours originally.

My money is that more than that jumped on this offer in the past couple hours... The fact that it is still available is starting to scare me.

what if they sell... I don't know... 251 instant pandoras that week?

My money is that more than that jumped on this offer in the past couple hours... The fact that it is still available is starting to scare me.
We've been through this before. Craig has more than likely put a limit on the number of orders the online shop will give before displaying 'out of stock' - Sire, I don't know for sure, but the functionality is being used for every other item there, so it seems probable.

Thus, the limit is likely suck that at the absolute worst, production will be at the same rate per week as without the new labour. And I think even that's a bit extreme.

I both like and hate the idea.

I like it because I want the Pandora to survive.

I hate it because someone who just found out about the device, can just cut in line and have a Pandora within 7 days while I have been waiting for over 2 years and still am waiting.

I both like and hate the idea.

I like it because I want the Pandora to survive.

I hate it because someone who just found out about the device, can just cut in line and have a Pandora within 7 days while I have been waiting for over 2 years and still am waiting.

How about those who pre-ordered and then upgraded theirs to premium?

I think this is a really good idea in the long term. But my concern here is it is definetaly going to cause a delay for the ones who are in front of the line. I think workforce which is going to be spent on finding a suitable worker, should be spent on producing new pandoras. Pandora production now is on the right trail and stabilizing the production process is much more important at the moment i think. For the second batch a growth strategy should be implemented.

From my experience this process will definetaly cause some delays for the next 500ish pandoras. But it's your call i waited for nearly 2 years another 2 month delay would not kill me If it is going to cause others to get their pandoras faster. Because i know how painful this waiting is.

We've been through this before. Craig has more than likely put a limit on the number of orders the online shop will give before displaying 'out of stock' - Sire, I don't know for sure, but the functionality is being used for every other item there, so it seems probable.

Thus, the limit is likely suck that at the absolute worst, production will be at the same rate per week as without the new labour. And I think even that's a bit extreme.
it seems probable, but Craig probably went to sleep hours ago, I wonder if it was before this got posted on engadget

lots of interest has been seen in this thread alone and if history proves correct the lurkers outnumber the posters by at least 10x

He either put the link up and went to bed and is taking orders and it hasn't reached 250 yet... or he forgot to set it at 250 and shit is about to hit the fan in about a week.

I think workforce which is going to be spent on finding a suitable worker, should be spent on producing new pandoras. Pandora production now is on the right trail and stabilizing the production process is much more important at the moment i think. For the second batch a growth strategy should be implemented.

Craig has already said that they have people who are already experienced with things like fitting the joints etc and he will still be dealing with testing etc.

sorry, I don't get it.

you sell some pandoras for more money because you can't afford two people more in the production-line to assemble the first batch ?

there are - as far as I know - 800 preorders for 2nd batch.

so how would you get the money for those 800+ pandoras to assemble, if you don't have enough money spare for the first batch?

if you are financally in trouble, then the surplus of some pandoras wouldn't help ...

stop selling the second batch with the old price and rise the charge generally.

greetings

sorry, I don't get it.

you sell some pandoras for more money because you can't afford two people more in the production-line to assemble the first batch ?

there are - as far as I know - 800 preorders for 2nd batch.

so how would you get the money for those 800+ pandoras to assemble, if you don't have enough money spare for the first batch?

if you are financally in trouble, then the surplus of some pandoras wouldn't help ...

stop selling the second batch with the old price and rise the charge generally.

greetings

Quite simple really. The Premium Pandors will make a profit!

I think workforce which is going to be spent on finding a suitable worker, should be spent on producing new pandoras. Pandora production now is on the right trail and stabilizing the production process is much more important at the moment i think. For the second batch a growth strategy should be implemented.

Craig has already said that they have people who are already experienced with things like fitting the joints etc and he will still be dealing with testing etc.

No matter how many people they have ready it will still going to take a time for adaptation and the quality might differ too. It is really being optimistic when people say there will be no delays. but we all know that we were very optimistic about people receiving their pandoras last year. There will definetaly going to be delays but the good thing is we might never know if a delay has happened or not.

Back