Instant Pandora with a premium?

I think workforce which is going to be spent on finding a suitable worker, should be spent on producing new pandoras. Pandora production now is on the right trail and stabilizing the production process is much more important at the moment i think. For the second batch a growth strategy should be implemented.

Craig has already said that they have people who are already experienced with things like fitting the joints etc and he will still be dealing with testing etc.

No matter how many people they have ready it will still going to take a time for adaptation and the quality might differ too. It is really being optimistic when people say there will be no delays. but we all know that we were very optimistic about people receiving their pandoras last year. There will definetaly going to be delays but the good thing is we might never know if a delay has happened or not.

And people also can be very negative and ignore every post that Craig has made on this thread and doom and gloom!

Have you done any production line work? For example even working in a kitchen, an additional member dealing with something like peeling prawns or boning a piece of meat can cut off cooking times by huge amounts by leaving the higher skilled members to focus on the more complicated things!

*edit*

I just read your post again, and I'm not too sure if you are arguing or not :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think workforce which is going to be spent on finding a suitable worker, should be spent on producing new pandoras. Pandora production now is on the right trail and stabilizing the production process is much more important at the moment i think. For the second batch a growth strategy should be implemented.

Craig has already said that they have people who are already experienced with things like fitting the joints etc and he will still be dealing with testing etc.

No matter how many people they have ready it will still going to take a time for adaptation and the quality might differ too. It is really being optimistic when people say there will be no delays. but we all know that we were very optimistic about people receiving their pandoras last year. There will definetaly going to be delays but the good thing is we might never know if a delay has happened or not.

And people also can be very negative and ignore every post that Craig has made on this thread and doom and gloom!

Have you done any production line work? For example even working in a kitchen, an additional member dealing with something like peeling prawns or boning a piece of meat can cut off cooking times by huge amounts by leaving the higher skilled members to focus on the more complicated things!

*edit*

I just read your post again, and I'm not too sure if you are arguing or not :D

Mate i am definetaly not arguing. I am just sharing my opinions. And yes i did work on a production line. a single mistake might cause a delay on a production line. And eventhough those people are experienced it will take some time for them to get used to pandora assembly process. And while they try to adapt even if they are superior beings they will make mistakes. And those mistakes will cause some delays.As i said before this process will probably cause delays for the next 500'ish units not more. after that they will be as experienced as others. But once again my opinion. Not my call.

I love the delays. People always try play open Pandora: the production simulator.

Okay first off, hi everybody I'm a longtime observing member, but I never posted so far because I didn't bother to make an account and just had my boyfriend post once or twice for me on his account.

I'm a batch 1 orderer and am waiting for a year now I think (much less than many other preorderers - I got my spot thanks to dropouts I'm sure).

As we all know or should know, the queue system failed as soon as people started dropping out / demanding their money back. Then the payout system was being a dork and having OPT switch over to google checkout which many people may not have followed. One nubbers getting their units early and jumping queuespots. Fully faulty units were too few to factor into this, but they deserve mention anyway. These and lots of other factors messed up the queue and we know the system used for it wasnt great at all so please don't rely on it so much if anything it's just a very rough estimate for you at this point.

Now to this premium idea... I for one think it's a good idea, but I wonder how it'll be possible. The 7-days-to-get-your-pandra idea seems very impossible given all the problems in the past. If everyone jumped on this it'd be thousands of pandora that should be done in 7 days... That wouldn't work ^^

_

But besides this doubt, I'm all for this idea. You don't lose anything by other people receiving their Pandora earlier, while you stay in the same or even in a shorter timeframe to get yours.

If anything, if all the people before me in the queue jump onto this idea and OPT ends up hiring 5 more people to assemble Pandoras. Then even with me paying 0$ extra I'll receive my unit lots earlier. You might argue, that it is easier for me to say because I'm likely at the end of the queue, but as mentioned before..The queue is quite meaningless at this point.

If this helps OPT actually get in some money AND if it helps speed up the process of getting the pandora's into people's hands then I'm all for it.

This started as a community project and I highly think the community should support each other and not go on countless rants regarding each other's pandora envy. That is all ^^

PS: I hope anybody reads this despite my faily english :(

I think that's what headcrash was getting at. No real increase in profit after hiring the two new workers.
??

If the current Pandora is selling at a loss, then the price increase is supposed to be enough for them to start making a profit. Even after they hire more assemblers, which will allow them to produce much faster and should end up paying for the assemblers.

I think that's what headcrash was getting at. No real increase in profit after hiring the two new workers.
??

If the current Pandora is selling at a loss, then the price increase is supposed to be enough for them to start making a profit. Even after they hire more assemblers, which will allow them to produce much faster and should end up paying for the assemblers.
Just rephrasing headcrash's thoughts. I'm too tired atm to come up with any more original input, as it's nearly midnight here, and I didn't get any sleep last night.

Headcrash is right the money will be going to pay for extra help not much profit for them.. However the bonus is the increased production that 2 extra people brings.

I'm a first batcher and I paid for a line jumper unit.. I wanted to buy two Pandoras eventually anyway, figured now was the time to do it.

First I must say, @Elanzer your avatar rocks this thread. VERY COOL!

Now, back to the topic.

This whole situation is very simple. More funds brought into a company is almost always good. Faster production is almost always good. Now, everyone here has seen every possible delay and human fuck up known to man for 2+ years, and I know production is finally moving forward, but I can see extra money being made, and production not going anywhere fast. I completely agree that now is the time to bring in more money, and more staff. A good buzz has been building, and now seems to be the best time to do something about it.

Currently Craig has been building units faster than CC can spit out boards, so has a really FIRM/SET amount of boards from Texas really been increased? Otherwise this whole thread will be a really bad joke, that is not funny! Even if CC says production will step up, I think UNTIL it actually happens, nothing should be done.

Now I'm hoping Craig can see the folly in believing them to pick up production, or that 2000 cases have actually left China, only to come back here in 1 month and tell everyone that Pandora's aren't shipping any faster because CC or the case factory didn't live up to there end of things. I thnik I would pull my funds from this project at that point, and I really hope THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN!

So for now, I will put my faith in Team Pandora, and hope that the same guys who have created a little "MIRACLE" once, can make one happen again!

Chris

Headcrash is right the money will be going to pay for extra help not much profit for them.. However the bonus is the increased production that 2 extra people brings.

I'm a first batcher and I paid for a line jumper unit.. I wanted to buy two Pandoras eventually anyway, figured now was the time to do it.

*salutes you*

First I must say, @Elanzer your avatar rocks this thread. VERY COOL!

Now, back to the topic.

This whole situation is very simple. More funds brought into a company is almost always good. Faster production is almost always good. Now, everyone here has seen every possible delay and human fuck up known to man for 2+ years, and I know production is finally moving forward, but I can see extra money being made, and production not going anywhere fast. I completely agree that now is the time to bring in more money, and more staff. A good buzz has been building, and now seems to be the best time to do something about it.

Currently Craig has been building units faster than CC can spit out boards, so has a really FIRM/SET amount of boards from Texas really been increased? Otherwise this whole thread will be a really bad joke, that is not funny! Even if CC says production will step up, I think UNTIL it actually happens, nothing should be done.

Now I'm hoping Craig can see the folly in believing them to pick up production, or that 2000 cases have actually left China, only to come back here in 1 month and tell everyone that Pandora's aren't shipping any faster because CC or the case factory didn't live up to there end of things. I thnik I would pull my funds from this project at that point, and I really hope THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN!

So for now, I will put my faith in Team Pandora, and hope that the same guys who have created a little "MIRACLE" once, can make one happen again!

Chris

I guess the problem from the business side is that they have to believe the supply chain & logistics are working now, otherwise they can't plan for growth and scale up the production.

The downside is that we have had so many dissapointments that I believe it is fair for us all to have a small pain in our tummy that the cases won't arrive (Again!) or the PCB supply will dry up (Again!)

The only comment I'd add to that, is if we have that small worry, imagine how of Craig, ED and the rest of the team feel! Talk about out on a limb! (Hugs!)

But that is business, sometimes you have to take a risk. They have a product, they have done everything to secure supply and now the demand is at it's peak and they have to use the 500USD units as a catalyst to inject much needed capital.

I suggest people take a moment to stop thinking of their own reservations and just take a moment to appreciate that we have just observed a brave business decision that will make or break this project. Reality TV doesn't get better than that!

Again, GOOD LUCK team OP. You deserve a break, and I wish you all the best of luck and can't wait to get my second unit with proper Nubs once you move the premium orders.

My suggestion is this, for those who want to, the ability to get a Pandora within 7 days for $500.

After reading this thread there is one question that springs to mind. What about those who don't want to? If you're willing to wait for your unit can you still pre order it at the original price?

Or is $500 now the actual cost of the Pandora?

My suggestion is this, for those who want to, the ability to get a Pandora within 7 days for $500.

After reading this thread there is one question that springs to mind. What about those who don't want to? If you're willing to wait for your unit can you still pre order it at the original price?

I believe the latter, although I don't see why OP should force people to go onto the 7-day queue if they only want to pay $350 and are willing to wait. (I know there is at least one fellow on the other forums right now in this position)

I want my Pandora and also want the OPT to survive...but don't have so much money to buy a new device for $500.

So instead i just ordered this to support the team and the project :

1 Pandora Case & 2 Dev Support Badge

The current preorders won't change the price, you an upgrade if you want, but if you paid 250 USD, you will still get it for 250 USD within the next weeks / months (depending on when you preordered).

In the long run Craig wants to eliminate preorders completely AFAIK (would also make sense in my opinion), though I don't know if the price will stay or change. That really depends on labour cost, the demand, etc.

The more profit there is, the more we can use to pay the software team, get new users, improve stuff, etc., so it will probably need to be balanced.

So ED what do you recommend if I want to lose some money to you guys for all the stress that has been put into it. Should I buy a dev fund or do a donation?

The current preorders won't change the price, you an upgrade if you want, but if you paid 250 USD, you will still get it for 250 USD within the next weeks / months (depending on when you preordered).

In the long run Craig wants to eliminate preorders completely AFAIK (would also make sense in my opinion), though I don't know if the price will stay or change. That really depends on labour cost, the demand, etc.

The more profit there is, the more we can use to pay the software team, get new users, improve stuff, etc., so it will probably need to be balanced.
Cool, can you reply to my PM please.

Back