Interesting Future Usb Device, Combo Evdo Modem, Gps, And Microsd Read

azmodean

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Ran across this at tomshardware.com here, a press release announcing a device I think may be of interest to many Pandora owners. Tiny, combined GPS, EVDO modem, and throw in a microSD just for kicks. Perhaps you could keep your maps on there, since you'd only need them when the GPS is attached.

The thing that amused me though was the comment, "The only feature the MC760 is missing, which would have been really nice, is Bluetooth support", which of course WE aren't interested in :D

azmodean said:
Ran across this at tomshardware.com here, a press release announcing a device I think may be of interest to many Pandora owners. Tiny, combined GPS, EVDO modem, and throw in a microSD just for kicks. Perhaps you could keep your maps on there, since you'd only need them when the GPS is attached.

The thing that amused me though was the comment, "The only feature the MC760 is missing, which would have been really nice, is Bluetooth support", which of course WE aren't interested in :D

It does look good. I presumed the bluetooth comment was more aimed at the author wishing it interfaced via bluetooth not USB? But either way it seems pretty cool.

A question for those in the USA market - who (in your esteemed opinion) offers the best data only plan? I'm thinking of maybe getting a data only plan and a device that would work on my notebook and my pandora (assuming they still send me one after I p*ssed everyone off - sorry about that!)

Last edited by a moderator:
jdh2550 said:
A question for those in the USA market - who (in your esteemed opinion) offers the best data only plan? I'm thinking of maybe getting a data only plan and a device that would work on my notebook and my pandora (assuming they still send me one after I p*ssed everyone off - sorry about that!)
I don't have a data-only plan, I've been pretty happy with my data-and-voice plan on AT&T since they bought Cingular. Then again, in my area, they seem to have the best data network. I've spoken to others in larger metro areas who say AT&T sucks, and I'd have to agree with them based on my experiences in Dallas and Chicago. I hear New York's particularly bad. But around here, I've been very happy with coverage and price on AT&T.

Back on-topic, yeah. That little device looks nice. Even has linux support from the vendor. Of course, it's EVDO, which means (I believe) no AT&T. So, no good for me unless I switch providers. :(

jdh2550 said:
azmodean said:

It does look good. I presumed the bluetooth comment was more aimed at the author wishing it interfaced via bluetooth not USB? But either way it seems pretty cool.

Sprint.

Wow. That is really nice. I hope it really has open source drivers. And becomes available in the UK (so many of these devices dont)...

If this worked with the EVDO system in my country, i would probably buy it.

Does anyone know where to find it's specs, though? Data rates are important y'know.

I have a Sierra Wireless AT&T USBConnect Mercury which is roughly the same size, has the microSD card slot etc ... and antenna port (which is a big bonus) although the thing is cheap as hell, the antenna connector is held onto the PCB via wishful thinking. I'm on my 3rd ...

But AT&T's 3G network in this rural area is great with an antenna ... 3 bars. Can't get DSL or cable here.

Oh, and the latency is great, too. Comparable to cable (Road Runner), better than dialup.

Now we need an HSDPA version, or better yet one supporting the most important cell phone data transfer standards (CDMA variants, HSDPA...).

timofonic said:
Now we need an HSDPA version, or better yet one supporting the most important cell phone data transfer standards (CDMA variants, HSDPA...).
There are a heap of HSDPA devices, but I only know of one with GPS as well:

Sony Ericsson MD400G
http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/p...cc=us&lc=en

Though looking at any of these might be mute anyway, due to the nasty Pandora USB business. OTG doesn't provide enough power, regular doesn't do high speed (edit: ment full speed), regular with hub makes it completely impractical and might also not provide enough power.

DesktopMan said:
Though looking at any of these might be mute anyway, due to the nasty Pandora USB business. OTG doesn't provide enough power, regular doesn't do high speed, regular with hub makes it completely impractical and might also not provide enough power.
I thought the regular USB port (non -OTG) didn't do low-speed?

azmodean said:
DesktopMan said:
Though looking at any of these might be mute anyway, due to the nasty Pandora USB business. OTG doesn't provide enough power, regular doesn't do high speed, regular with hub makes it completely impractical and might also not provide enough power.
I thought the regular USB port (non -OTG) didn't do low-speed?Correct, it handles high speed, but not low speed without a high speed hub in between.

Squidge said:
Correct, it handles high speed, but not low speed without a high speed hub in between.
Gah, I meant full speed. My HSDPA modem is a full speed device :/ The Ericsson one might have a built in high speed hub though (due to the micro sd reader), so that one might work. If it gets Linux support. The previous model didn't.

Back