Internet without wifi?

Norfen

Still Fresh
I'll spare the novel of details, but I no longer have wifi in my house. Does the pandora support Internet over USB?

Yes. I know for a fact that the Apple USB Ethernet dongle works fine for this (I have one for my Pandora specifically), and there are also others that work, but I can't remember off of the top of my head what those are. :p

Yes, I'm not sure how compatible it is though.

EDIT: :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I know for a fact that the Apple USB Ethernet dongle works fine for this (I have one for my Pandora specifically), and there are also others that work, but I can't remember off of the top of my head what those are. :p
Ditto in the Apple USB Ethernet dongle. It's been a lifesaver at work 2 times already in the past 3 weeks!

i dont know if any usb wifi will work out of the box on the pandora (i tryed about 7 differents with no success).

but the linksys AE1000 is sure to work with the kernel module.

i been using it for a few weeks now. i get an average of 4.5-5mb/sec transfer on lan with it so i can say it work fine.

I don't now if this helps but I bought the Edimax EW-7811Un when it went on sale for 9.99 US. It is extremely tiny so it won't be that noticeable on the Pandora. The drivers are not in the Linux kernel yet even tough they are open source driver but I've compiled them and it works great on my Linux box. I've bumped a thread about it asking if the drivers can be put into a PND for those that want a small easy to install wireless N adapter if they think their wireless is too slow.

I haven't gotten my Pandora yet and have no idea how to pack .pnd files but I'm sure the driver will be as easy to compile for the Pandora as it was for my Linux box.

I forgot to mention that "MiFi" pocket 3G/HSDPA routers work fine with the Pandora, since you connect to them via WiFi. Obviously, that's a bit outside of the scope of this thread, but since other options have come up, I figured that it was worth mentioning.

Think I'll go with the apple USB dongle. If it "just works" for you guys, then I'm cool with it. What kind of speeds do you guys get?

I don't now if this helps but I bought the Edimax EW-7811Un when it went on sale for 9.99 US. It is extremely tiny so it won't be that noticeable on the Pandora. The drivers are not in the Linux kernel yet even tough they are open source driver but I've compiled them and it works great on my Linux box. I've bumped a thread about it asking if the drivers can be put into a PND for those that want a small easy to install wireless N adapter if they think their wireless is too slow.

I haven't gotten my Pandora yet and have no idea how to pack .pnd files but I'm sure the driver will be as easy to compile for the Pandora as it was for my Linux box.

That looks bomb! I was dreading having a big USB thumb sticking out the back. How are the speeds on it (If you know. I couldn't tell if you owned it or not.)?

Edit: A PND would be even better!

If you are getting a USB ethernet adapter, make sure it's a USB 2 one, otherwise you will have to connect it via a hub.

I have one of these and it works well.

Once I plug it in, I have to click on network manager and select "ifupdown (bnep0)" to connect.

I've posted it a few times, but this is my favorite device if you want to use ethernet and still have USB ports left. Amazon.com link: Nu USB 2.0 3-Port Hub with Ethernet Adapter

This has an optional power plug if you want to run something that requires little more juice. But even without it I've powered the Ethernet, USB keyboard and mouse and a thumbdrive and the Pandora could handle it.

tethering to a mobile phone works too (usb and bt)

Just confirming that to my delight, using the 3G link of my HTC Hero with the supplied USB cable "just work" (not with the standard ROM, though, since my operator explicitely disabled it, had to revert to the standard HTC ROM).

Had no success doing the same thing over BT, though, but that already means an ever-available network access for my Pandy.

Makes me so happy I HAD to tell someone :)

Back