Ioquake2 Nanogl

mQQm

Still Fresh
Hi

Got my Pandora this morning and I've stumbled through quite a few things so far.

I've got PND's showing on the desktop and so far FUSE works.

I'd really like to get Quake2 running.

I've got the PND in /pandora/desktop on my SD card and it's there with icon on my desktop.

I have the original Quake2 on my PC and would like to know what to copy where and if any file edits are necessary.

Any help would be appreciated.

mQQm said:
Hi

Got my Pandora this morning and I've stumbled through quite a few things so far.

I've got PND's showing on the desktop and so far FUSE works.

I'd really like to get Quake2 running.

I've got the PND in /pandora/desktop on my SD card and it's there with icon on my desktop.

I have the original Quake2 on my PC and would like to know what to copy where and if any file edits are necessary.

Any help would be appreciated.

run it once
then you should see a quake2 folder in /pandora/appdata
create a baseq2 folder in the quake2 folder with all the pak files

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
run it once
then you should see a quake2 folder in /pandora/appdata
create a baseq2 folder in the quake2 folder with all the pak files
Hey Pickle,

Don't have my pandora yet, but am setting up a SD card. Can I make the /pandora/appdata/quake2/baseq2 folder manually and put the .pak files there?

Also, I have wolf, SoD, Keens 1-5, hexen, heretic, doom etc. Do you have a list of the files needed and where to place them on the card? Perhaps we can start a wiki page something like:

Code:
Game          Files needed           SD card location
Doom          DOOM.WAD               /pandora/appdata/doom/base/
Keen 1        *.ck1                  /pandora/appdata/keen1/
Quake 2       *.pak                  /pandora/appdata/quake2/baseq2

Also, is it possible to use the expansion packs for the quake series?

Thanks for all your hard work getting these ported. Looking forward to using them.

Depending what codebase was ported for Quake (1) the missionpacks work. You will need to place their *.pak files in /pandora/appdata/quake/hipnotic or /pandora/appdata/quake/rogue and then launch the game with the commandline parameter -hipnotic or -rogue . Same for Quake 2, just replicate how they work on other systems.

For the appdata things you basically need to "install the game to that location" so that the original directory structure is there. Of course there might be superfluous files but the games should work then.

All my post is guessing.

pretty much the exp packs will work, the question is more how to get them to execute.
Im not sure i have a good answer to this yet, especially for doom stuff.

THe easy solution is to create script for each pack and assign each as a separate application in the pxml. But this only works for a few known expansions, if we consider doom the possibilities are enormous. One solution might be to use zenity scripts, but i dont have any experience with this to know if it would work or not.

Spirit said:
Depending what codebase was ported for Quake (1) the missionpacks work. You will need to place their *.pak files in /pandora/appdata/quake/hipnotic or /pandora/appdata/quake/rogue and then launch the game with the commandline parameter -hipnotic or -rogue . Same for Quake 2, just replicate how they work on other systems.

For the appdata things you basically need to "install the game to that location" so that the original directory structure is there. Of course there might be superfluous files but the games should work then.

All my post is guessing.

Nice. That's pretty much what I did last night.

Pickle said:
pretty much the exp packs will work, the question is more how to get them to execute.
Im not sure i have a good answer to this yet, especially for doom stuff.

THe easy solution is to create script for each pack and assign each as a separate application in the pxml. But this only works for a few known expansions, if we consider doom the possibilities are enormous. One solution might be to use zenity scripts, but i dont have any experience with this to know if it would work or not.

I haven't used zenity in several years, but a quick script that looks for source files for known expansion packs in predictable locations and then pops up a screen showing possible expansions shouldn't be too hard (good for the few quake expansions, bad for the bajillion doom ones). Pretty sure even I could code that up and I'm a lowly mechanical engineer. might have a go at it just for fun when I eventually have some hardware.

Back