iOS Game Release: Swashbuckler

Rockthesmurf

Advanced Member
Website
Visit site
Hi there, Steven Craft here from Paw Print Games (an indie studio based in Chester, Cheshire, UK). I recently released one of our titles, KAMI RETRO on the Pandora, and have hinted at other interesting projects being in the works. Finally I can announce the launch of our latest game, Swashbuckler, which is a Mario/Donkey Kong Country inspired platformer which is currently exclusively available for iOS (featuring characters from the Paul Frank world). The game is totally free, it has IAP, however you can complete it without spending a penny (I have done so several times). The story mode contains 25 levels spread across 5 unique themes and normally takes 5-10 hours to complete. There are also two bonus modes where you can complete for leader board position:

iPad: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/swashbuckler-hd/id570338592?ls=1&mt=8

iPhone: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/swashbuckler/id568878647?ls=1&mt=8

I don't know if this forum is quite the right place to talk about this? Perhaps I should have posted elsewhere (or not posted at all?) One of the reasons I thought it maybe of interest is I'd love to bring this game to Pandora, using the proper Pandora controls. I have actually run the game on Pandora and it is really cool on there. However due to the fact it uses a large, global IP/Brand (Paul Frank characters) it isn't easy to bring it to other platforms, especially ones that currently do not make publishers any money! But you never know, maybe at some point in the future it'll be possible.

If anyone has both an iPad and iPhone, I'd recommend the iPad version (in Retina if possible) as it plays nicest on the larger screen I feel.

If anyone wants to provide feedback that is cool, always glad to hear users thoughts. If this thread is deemed unsuitable for here then I understand if it needs to be moved or deleted!

No, this is a perfectly fine place for off-topic discussion..

This looks good, only if I had an iDevice to try it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
The game look so cool...i have an Android device so i can't test it, but if you could ask permission to release also on Pandora this will be great.

If i can ask to you....how many (wonderfull.. :) ) game published by your label or (TravellersTales label) will be (in theory) publishable for an indy target like the Pandora ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Downloading it now, looks very good from the screenshots! Like everyone I'd like to see more commercial games in the Pandora, I'd imagine it'd be a right headache to allow it to be released on there?(is there an Android version planned?)

@TrashyMG: I wouldn't recommend buying an iDevice simply to play this game, however, for anyone wanting to try a bunch of iOS software, I'd recommend an iPod Touch 4th Gen, it basically has the exact same specification as the iPhone4 except having half the memory. I'm not exactly sure of the price, but maybe around £120 new, so perhaps £75 second hand (in the UK).

@Farox @stouffa: In terms of Android version, nothing is planned right now. We are waiting to see how the iOS version does to know how to proceed, if the iOS does well then other big platforms (like Android) would certainly be a consideration. We can't make these decisions alone, but our previous titles have been released on several platforms including Android (KAMI RETRO, Wacky Rapids, KamiCrazy, Battle Bugs). In terms of bringing games from Travellers Tales onto Pandora, I can't see that ever happening! But other Paw Print Games titles could be brought over, my main problem is I'm not really sure I'd feel comfortable asking for money for KamiCrazy or Battle Bugs on Pandora, they are old titles and I feel like they need more polish. Wacky Rapids is visually a bit nicer, but is designed to run in portrait. So on the whole all the titles would need more work to be releasable as paid titles on Pandora, and there is no way they would earn that money back. So it would have to be something I somehow find spare time to work on (which is hard when working 100+ hours a week for a day job)! Of course I could release them for free on Pandora, but this isn't ideal from a company trying to make money, and also it doesn't necessarily make uses on other platforms happy when they see the Pandora getting the titles for free. Maybe something can be sorted out for at least Wacky Rapids at some point.

In terms of Pandora, I'd like to see the game on Pandora, the problem is it would struggle to pay for just my time to make the port, let alone all the other parties which are involved when working with a large IP. I think KAMI RETRO has made about £100 on Pandora (maybe a little more), which is cool, I am happy to have a game on Pandora and happy to receive a little money from it, but for Swashbuckler there would definitely be no point looking at it from a financial point of view, but instead I'd need to convince the right people that releasing for free on Pandora 'just because it is cool' would be a good idea. This isn't so easy to do! But lets see what happens.

Port it to android. The pandora can run android games and you can sell it in the google market.

Back