A Pandora game comes to iPhone/iPad

"frist mover problem"

Every other platform has been through this years ago and its a well known thing, but as iOS really blew open to the public, people seem to think its all magical and new :) ("Apple invented smartphones and tablets" is sooo wrong, but so common..)

Anyway, yeah, when App store opened up .. the first few dozen games made overnight millionaires, since captive audience, but within like 3 months it was already impossible to make a buck. Its actually a really bad market for the most part .. top guys are propelled to stay on top, and new guys have visibility for onyl a few hours at best, to make their mark. Fail the first day and you're pretty much done for.

(And consider, your app basicly is pushed to sell for a buck; you might spend a year working on it, but all of that work comes down to a few hours window to make it or not, and its onyl partly up to how good your app is. And nowadays, the production value on games is going up and up, but the prices staying down. So most apps are all flash .. gotta look great but be shallow, so that you can build it without investing too much time, since the risk is so high and the per-unit so low.. so its all about flashy apps, with depth via upsell. Nasty!)

Its definately fun to get your apps out there and ride the wave :)

jeff

I do feel sorry for all the games out there which may well be absolutely amazing but have only sold 10 copies.

There is an element of randomness in it all too, right place at the right time and all that - things have certainly

changed from a couple of years ago in terms of sales you could expect.

If you have no network with which you can promote your app *for free* you are essentially doomed - google

recently published some stats which showed that even when you're giving your app away you will spend about

$1 for every 10 downloads if you're advertising it - that rises to $3 for every sale at .99c! Making you a loss of

$2.50 per app and only Apple wins.

Awesome news. Added to the official supported apps list:

Will add it to the featured Apps on iControlPad.com, too, with Craig's blessing.

Also bought it and gave it a 5-star review. Awesome little game, and the analogue controls are amazing. Most of the time iPad virtual analogue controls seem to disagree with me.

I'm quite terrible at it, though!

Also bought it and gave it a 5-star review. Awesome little game, and the analogue controls are amazing. Most of the time iPad virtual analogue controls seem to disagree with me.

I'm quite terrible at it, though!

Hah, thanks! :) I know I'm biased, but I like that about the gameplay - it's challenging, and the only way to get better is practice. :)

Craig did say he'd put it on the featured apps thing whenever it went live - he hasn't read any of my PMs since the 5th of this month, though (according to the messenger...). I imagine his inbox is always overflowing, though. :p

Edit: typo

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig did say he'd put it on the featured apps thing whenever it went live

I'll take your word for it, added: http://icontrolpad.com/

Needs to go on the supported apps page, too.

Looking back over the message thread, he never did specifically say it would go there (he did say several things implying it though, which I guess is what I was remembering). It's your call, though - hopefully he'll weigh in soon. :) Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's about time the featured apps were updated. There wasn't much thought put behind their presence there. And I think yours is a deserving cause.

I'm waiting for the imminent arrival of my ICP so looking forward to playing this using that!! Probably me being very obtuse, but I only spotted just now that you can pinch zoom in and out of the globe, that's a nice feature to have!! ;)

So awesome that you made the touch screen controls customizable. This had been my only gripe with this game (the occasional death from an enemy behind my thumb). Very sharp game, now even better!

Back