iPhone 4 vs Pandora

DustinVgmaster

Still Fresh
Well, one day I was browsing tv tropes when I found a page that mentions the Pandora.

Long story short: the page said something about the pandora being the best at the time, but delays allowing the iPhone 3G/4 to be released, with it's specs being similar/better than the Pandora. Confused, I tried to find some sort of direct comparison, to no avail.

Apple's iPhone specs page is kinda vague, so I was wondering if someone would explain the situation to me.

I got an Ipod Touch 4g in my restlessness waiting for my Pandora. If I recall correctly, I think that the clock speed is 1ghz, which is higher than that of the Pandora. However:

I've found that the iPod touch/Iphone is unparalleled at simple day-to-day tasks, such as checking your email, browsing the internet on the go, etc, plus it's much more portable. I absolutely love the email app on the itouch/iphone. However, if you're looking for a device to play games other than chess, the Pandora is your best bet. touch controls do NOT work well for emulation at all. There are some games (like dodonpachi and espgaluda) on the iphone that have control schemes which work well with the iphone's control set. However, most don't - especially if you like 3d games. It's passable, but it doesn't compare to having actual physical gaming controls.

If you want to play games, Pandora is the way to go. it's a bit more awkward to browse the internet from the Pandora (although it has Pidgin and iphone doesn't, +1 for Pandora), although it's much easier to type on the qwerty keypad than on the iphone screen.

As for the clock speed, the iphone is faster, but you wouldn't know it from playing the emulators. Emulation on the Pandora is done MUCH better. Compare psx4all on iphone to PCSX-Rearmed on the Pandora (there should be plenty of videos on youtube) to get the idea. Also, there are no Sega Genesis emulators on the iphone that compare to Picodrive. I could go on.

Sorry for asking a n00b question but, Is clock speed the same thing as RAM?

EDIT: also, due to law, I won't really be using my pandora for emulation (save dosbox)

Last edited by a moderator:
it's pointless to compare a cell phone to a minicomputer with gaming controls like pandora, imo, unless you put price/feature on the balance

I paid $400 for this thing and I'm determined not to let it be beat by a smartphone, dangit!

lol jk

Both the ithingy 4 and the Pandora share the same base processor, but that's pretty much where the similarity ends. There are some design changes in between the two even at that level. The iThingy has a different video processor, for example. Performance wise? Apples and Oranges. the iThingy has a proprietary OS that's locked by Apple to use only Apple approved software. While it only recently gained the ability to multitask, it's still not a full Desktop OS, and the limitations put in place by Apple means that Homebrewers have to find ways to circumvent or work around OS pitfalls. The Pandora, however has a Opensource OS in the form of Ångström Linux, which allows the developers freedom to take advantage of the hardware at a more basic level. There are pluses and minuses to both angles, but for people like me, it's a no brainer.

EDIT: also, due to law, I won't really be using my pandora for emulation (save dosbox)

Clock speed is processor speed. RAM is computer memory.

As a smart phone user (HTC Desire) and proud Pandora owner I'd concur with what has been said in this thread but would like to throw the Battery question into the mix.

Try using your smart phone for a couple of hours PSX Emulation, then watch a couple of movies, and you'll see another major difference between it and a Pandora.

I have both and I carry both when I´m off house :)

For gaming Pandora is much better (due to controls and community support), iPhone is better for dummy/killing time games.

I don't need a smart phone. A Pandora and a cheap prepaid cellphone are all I need.

it's not possible to add simcard slot, and add fonctionnality to pandora to make phone call ? with headset bluetooth for example

Not without changing the board, increasing the size of the unit, and having the cost go through the roof. (Remember, you've gotta deal with providers. Now imagine doing that in different nations, each with different...everything.)

Not without changing the board, increasing the size of the unit, and having the cost go through the roof. (Remember, you've gotta deal with providers. Now imagine doing that in different nations, each with different...everything.)
i'm imagine, and i'm sick ^^

thanks, i have just view technical side, i've don't think about legal and commercial stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
and the most expensive part to add cell phone capability will be the modem. I don´t think that this features would be a good idea on the Pandora.

I recently got an iPhone 4, and I've found that there's room in my heart for both of them. When I'm out of the house, say on the bus or at work, I have my phone for reading the news, checking email, and other mundane tasks. The only game I have on my iPhone is Final Fantasy - just because I've always wanted to try the remake.

But when I get home, the phone goes away and I use the Pandora to relax and be entertained. It's just so much better having buttons and not having to hack a machine to play a few old emulated games. I don't really use the Pandora for the things I use my phone for, so they co-exist peacefully.

There's also a real benefit to having an open, collaborative community that freely releases, constantly improves and supports the software I want to use. You just can't get that with your typical mega-billion-dollar-selling cellular phone enterprise.

Hope that helps,

Zen

and the most expensive part to add cell phone capability will be the modem. I don´t think that this features would be a good idea on the Pandora.

but, with a pandora, i dont need "good" phone, just something to make call, and send sms, even the clock is not necessary anymore ;)

I absolutely love my iPhone4. Its a treasure and I carry it everywhere.

I carry my Pandora everywhere too. Its also a treasured item, for different reasons! My iPhone is the communications device I use most of all - the Pandora is a full-blown Linux box in my pocket for development and work.

I absolutely love my iPhone4. Its a treasure and I carry it everywhere.

I carry my Pandora everywhere too. Its also a treasured item, for different reasons! My iPhone is the communications device I use most of all - the Pandora is a full-blown Linux box in my pocket for development and work.

Yes, but, some functionnality can be used on both, like task, contacts etc...

i loath smart phones. i have a basic lg with a slide out kb. i use it for calls and text.

i really dislike touch browser navigation, with the pinch motion zooming and constantly sliding my finger back and forth gets tiring quite fast for me. i laugh when i see people playing emulators with their thumbs in the way. ha ps1 play is a joke.

the worse thing about smart phones: your at a social gathering and some jackball with a touch screen gets bored and starts staring at his interface, sliding the little icons back and forth. then someone else pulls their phone out and jumps online. etc. all of the sudden no ones talking anymore, just staring into the glow in their hands. creepy.

i loath smart phones. i have a basic lg with a slide out kb. i use it for calls and text.

i really dislike touch browser navigation, with the pinch motion zooming and constantly sliding my finger back and forth gets tiring quite fast for me. i laugh when i see people playing emulators with their thumbs in the way. ha ps1 play is a joke.

the worse thing about smart phones: your at a social gathering and some jackball with a touch screen gets bored and starts staring at his interface, sliding the little icons back and forth. then someone else pulls their phone out and jumps online. etc. all of the sudden no ones talking anymore, just staring into the glow in their hands. creepy.
Hahaha, that's all very true! Creepy, but funny too. :D

Must......resist......urge......to kill.........n00b.
That is quite possibly the most fucking dangerous post one can make on a forum, especially one like this.

Don't be elitist. He's apologised for it, and he is aware that the question may be silly. If there were someone first claiming to have skills, then making a post like that, then it might call for such a response ;) . (I sure hope I never made a post that sounds like this).

If this is a joke, of course, that (^) is null-and-void. Though plain text really fails for making the distinction between sarcasm and seriousness. So do your best to avoid it. I'm not perfect, the slip is often made. (Suggest using sub/superscript for sarcasm?)

Anyway, iPhone 4 vs Pandora:

Do you want to be restricted relentlessly by some large company?

Do you want to be able to write your own programs without having to cross the desert crawling? (Note: writing games for the Pandora is the same as any other Linux box, this isn't supposed to suggest we have some rad instant games program)

Do you want physical controls? While all of the things I mention here were important, the thing that made me drool was the QWERTY keyboard. Never will you ever be able to type as well on a touchscreen, as with a physical keyboard, even if it is only a thumb-keyboard.

Do you care about how your device is produced? (ethical reasons).

I don't have a Pandora myself, yet (I'm in batch 2), but these were the main points for me, so I list them anyway.

And naturally, hating everything Apple and Microsoft do (Without Wozniak - who is lesser regarded :( , Apple would never have really got started, without dodgy business practises, Microsoft would never have survived) as well as being a Pandora fan, I'm a 'little' biased ^_^

b1llygo4t: So damn true. But somehow, it's evil for me to then pull out my Nintendo DS and play games. :\.

Back