iPhone 4 vs Pandora

Just so you guys know, I was talking about Jailbroken iPhone 4/Pandora.

Also, I was just wondering which one is more powerful. Or if they are the same.

P.S. I've already bought my Pandora. I was just wondering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an Ipod Touch 4g in my restlessness waiting for my Pandora. If I recall correctly, I think that the clock speed is 1ghz, which is higher than that of the Pandora. However:

I've found that the iPod touch/Iphone is unparalleled at simple day-to-day tasks, such as checking your email, browsing the internet on the go, etc, plus it's much more portable. I absolutely love the email app on the itouch/iphone. However, if you're looking for a device to play games other than chess, the Pandora is your best bet. touch controls do NOT work well for emulation at all. There are some games (like dodonpachi and espgaluda) on the iphone that have control schemes which work well with the iphone's control set. However, most don't - especially if you like 3d games. It's passable, but it doesn't compare to having actual physical gaming controls.

If you want to play games, Pandora is the way to go. it's a bit more awkward to browse the internet from the Pandora (although it has Pidgin and iphone doesn't, +1 for Pandora), although it's much easier to type on the qwerty keypad than on the iphone screen.

As for the clock speed, the iphone is faster, but you wouldn't know it from playing the emulators. Emulation on the Pandora is done MUCH better. Compare psx4all on iphone to PCSX-Rearmed on the Pandora (there should be plenty of videos on youtube) to get the idea. Also, there are no Sega Genesis emulators on the iphone that compare to Picodrive. I could go on.

I agree with you for the most part, but for me as soon as I get used to the Pandora controls it will be easy to use the web browser to get

around on the Internet. I am sure others will have it the same way.

I had an iPhone 3G, which isn't as good as the iPhone4, so I must filter my opinion through the "pretend my iPhone is more powerful and has a compass" lens, but here's my take.

Before I got my Pandora:

If I want to make a phone call, I pull out my iPhone and love the interface as I speed dial my buddy.

If I want to play a game, I pull out my iPhone, get pissed trying to use the retarded touchscreen, and try to resist the urge to smash it.

If I want to browse the internet, I pull out my iPhone, grin that it can do it, and browse away.

If I want to do text messaging, I suppose I could do that pretty well on the iPhone. Dunno, didn't try it much.

If I want to check my E-Mail (GMail), the iPhone is pretty good at that too, with the right app.

If I want to do something else, I browse the appstore for a free app that can do it, and if I'm very lucky, I might find one. Screw paying, I already paid for the damn device.

After I got my Pandora:

If I want to make a phone call, I pull out my iPhone and love the interface as I speed dial my buddy.

If I want to play a game, I pull out my Pandora and OMFG THIS IS AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!

If I want to browse the internet, I pull out Pandora, grin even bigger, and OMFG FULL BROWSER BITCHES!

If I want to text, pfft who am I kidding I'm not some high school girl I don't text.

If I want to check my E-Mail, well, my browser is always open on mail.google.com on my Pandora, I don't bother closing it.

If I want to do something else, I bust out my Pandora and HELL YES I HAVE A FULL LINUX COMPUTER.

and then....

Whoa, I can do my Excel homework on my Pandora via Gnumeric while eating lunch in the cafeteria!!!

Whoa, I can write my paper in AbiWord ON THE PANDORA!

Whoa, THE SOUND! OMFG THE SOUND! THIS PANDORA MAKES LOVE TO LOSSLESS FLAC MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! (extra stress for extra awesomeness!)

Whoa, this thing STILL HASN'T DIED? WTF I FORGOT TO CHARGE IT YESTERDAY AND THE BATTERY IS AT 60%!

Whoa, hardware volume wheel! sweet! real, full, USB 2.0 port! And it can charge stuff! Wait wait wait, there's TWO USB PORTS!

Whoa, two SD slots! As much memory as I want! SWEET

Whoa, bluetooth tethering to the iPhone for perma internet! And it wasn't even hard to make it work!

Whoa, a real god damn keyboard!

Whoa, I can write a program ON THE PANDORA FOR THE PANDORA WITHOUT PAYING APPLE MONEY TO MAKE THEIR OWN DEVICE BETTER!

Whoa, it's motherfucking LINUX DUDE

Whoa, XFCE! I use that on my bad ass PC! Why? Because my desktop should not be taking resources away from my programs. Holy familiar desktop, Batman!

Whoa, Graphing Calculator! Calculus: EAT THAT BIATCH!

Whoa, everything else! EVERYTHING ELSE! Browse the software repo on the pandora wiki, or on craigs appstore! WHOA it speaks for itself!

Seriously I could go on and on. I've never been a fanboy before. BUT GOD DAMN IM A FANBOY NOW!

Ok enough emphasis and shouting. Yes, I'm rather excited about my little box of awesome. I've had it for a month and the shine is showing absolutely no sign of ever wearing off! Did I mention the crazy battery life? I can listen to my music on repeat all day long and still have 80% of the battery left. EIGHTY PERCENT! after a FULL DAY! my iPhone would be dead before Physics.

And it's not just these, these are the easily explained obvious ones. But that leaves out all of the clever subtle little touches all over this thing. Constantly I find some neat little feature or program or something it can do that I didn't even know about and don't even mention here or this would be a book. My girlfriend and I watched four movies in a row yesterday all cuddled close in bed (far from my PC or TV), then since she had fallen asleep and I wasn't tired I played Azure Dreams on the PSX Emulator (try it, GREAT game) for an hour or so more before plugging it in and going to sleep.

Instant recap: 4 movies, FOUR, and an hour of PSX, and it was still alive. Unplugged. If this thing had a pair of tits it would BE my girlfriend.

Alright enough my own enthusiasm is beginning to annoy even me. Sorry. You wanted a comparison, you got one.

Nowadays, I use my iPhone to make phone calls. I use my Pandora for, well, EVERYTHING. I barely touch my PC anymore except to play EverQuest. I consider the iPhone a waste now. I've considered re-purposing it to help my Pandora compile software via distcc. All that processor power and it's now just a phone. Hell, my bad ass video card in my PC is a waste too. EverQuest is ancient and the Emulator server I play on is Classic so the system requirements are from like 1999. I'm seriously considering trading my buddy for his crappy card and a hundred dollars, which I'd then spend on another SD card or two for the Pandora. I could think of a few hundred more games I'd love to play on it. This thing makes me wish I could pause time for a few years to concentrate on all the awesome games I've never beaten.

Yep, I'm done. For real this time.

- trix

I can't be bothered to check if it's been mentioned before, but the iControlPad is the only thing that comes close to making the iPhone 4 viable competition to the Pandora, and even then it falls short in many ways. If classic gaming is all you're after, then it's okay, but these products aren't even comparable. I am thoroughly enjoying my iPhone 4/iControlPad combo, though, during the long wait for my Pandora.

Back