Irda Functionality

AireTamStorm

Unix Addict
Website
Visit site
Sorry, but first, I'll go off-topic for a bit.

Now, I haven't been to the forums for a while after I got my GP2X (ironically got replaced as my main mp3 player by the PSP, which I had criticized for its lack of openness) and looking at these specs, I can't say I could find something better.

The real hitter for me on the GP2X was that it lacked WiFi, and a Linux machine (no matter how large or small) is a /million/ times more functional with a network connection than without. USB host would have been nice, but not necessary for its intentions. Small memory, frankly limited multi-use (I love the swiss-army knives that are my PSP and PS3), lack of a terminal (Unix users just HAVE to have one. Even if it had /no/ use whatsoever. You guys know what I'm talking about!) and a decent input method for one really kinda turned me away from the device. (I know there was a terminal emulator for it, but the input method was abysmal and it was basically there for people to mod the firmware)

I've just now (a little late to the party, I guess?) seen how far along this project has come, after giving up on the XGP / Gamepark successors. And let me tell you, the specs are a dream. Integrated game controls, WiFi, SDHC / SDIO slotS, USB Host, 128 MB of DDR memory (even though thats a battery-eater) and one of the most powerful ARM processors out there, it looks like I'll finally have /the/ device for the everyday Linux user on the road. I honestly wouldn't change anything. You all HAVE to realize one could jack in most any UTMS USB modem into this device and grab internet off of CELL TOWERS, let alone WiFi. (via usbserial kernel module and PPP)

Back on topic:

Given all of this functionality, it seems extremely selfish / terrible of me to ask this d$%#-near stupid question.

Is there already, or will there be any way to add IR I/O to the USB OTG / host / SDIO card slots? In addition to the 400 other things I'd use this for, TV remote control would be nice.

Ether way, I look forward to getting back into the scene.

Seems simple enough:

http://www.usbuirt.com/ (this will receive and transmit, so it is pretty full featured, read expensive)

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/TV-Remote-a...SB-p-16680.html

In the end I think it all boils down to the software though:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/mobile/tvremote.aspx

Standard IRDA for palmtops/PCs is not designed to operate TV's, it is a hack.

This is an example of IR networking gear, the kind likely to be incompatible with the TV without a lot of hacky coding:
http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Infrared.html

If we wanted full "TV" IR (Very different from just chucking a standard IRDA port in there, with its limited range and incompatible carrier signals), I would think you would need to pay at least $20.

Since it is really a computer with all the computer I/O you really just need one with software that would port into the OS that the Pandy would be using (aka ARM Linux).

I don't know who would be interested in designing one, maybe the software needs to be looked into first (open source, good UI, fully functional on all carrier signals, device codes available for it), and then decide what hardware looks the best.

I knew remote IR and IRDA were different things. Sounds like the USB host port would be the best bet, but with having to buy additional equipment it doesn't look like many developers will suppot it from the software side of things. Oh well, I'll just have to write my own IR apps then! B)

AireTamStorm said:
I've just now (a little late to the party, I guess?) seen how far along this project has come, after giving up on the XGP / Gamepark successors. And let me tell you, the specs are a dream. Integrated game controls, WiFi, SDHC / SDIO slotS, USB Host, 128 MB of DDR memory (even though thats a battery-eater) and one of the most powerful ARM processors out there, it looks like I'll finally have /the/ device for the everyday Linux user on the road. I honestly wouldn't change anything. You all HAVE to realize one could jack in most any UTMS USB modem into this device and grab internet off of CELL TOWERS, let alone WiFi. (via usbserial kernel module and PPP)
He just asked for a feature 1-2 months before release and he is almost guaranteed not to be flamed. Give this guy a medal. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
javaJake said:
AireTamStorm said:
He just asked for a feature 1-2 months before release and he is almost guaranteed not to be flamed. Give this guy a metal. ;)

A metal what ?. :rolleyes:

Trooper

trooper: a metal medal ;)

Anyway, IR support would be nice and playful etc., but I am sure you know there are more useful features. For me its the internet connectivity not only dependant on Wi-Fi..

JakeK said:
It is the spelling Police! Quick, cross your t's and dot your i's gentlemen!
blue-red-siren-light.gif

Police-line.JPG

Book him Dano. :p

I posted a link in a previous post to a USB IR dongle that only sticks out a few mm and (assuming there are linux drivers) could handle IR data transfer. A few people pointed out that these dongles are not very good for remote control duty, though.

Luckily MWeston is no dope and knows that a lot of people are looking forward to hacking the hardare. The PCB was designed with solder points for several functsions, including the serial UART. The best solution for a "Pandora universal remote" would be to hook an IR LED and whatever few other components are necessary to that. It will mean opening up the device and modding it yourself, but that is half the fun. There are probably several open source remote control apps that could be ported to control the LED. I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't one of the 1st hardware mods to be published.

Back