Is It Choppy Or Not???!?!?

Henrico

Still Fresh
Im thinking about getting one of these cool units.

But, I really want it for ST gaming. From one source I've heard its almost flawless but from another I've heard its choppy and doesnt run at full speed. Ideally I'd like it to run at full speed (with or without sound) so I need a definitive answer. Or a video! :)

Please help clear this one up!

Cheers,

Henrico

Honestly...depends what you want to play. The compatability and speed aren't 100%, but they're pretty damn good. Why don't you get a list of games together and maybe we can try and give you some FPS figures?

AFIAK Atari ST is basically 99% (some games like sensible soccer won't work, but most do). Other emus (GBA/SNES/GEN) are choppy.

Henrico posted on Aug 26 2004 at 04:14 PM said:
Im thinking about getting one of these cool units.

But, I really want it for ST gaming. From one source I've heard its almost flawless but from another I've heard its choppy and doesnt run at full speed. Ideally I'd like it to run at full speed (with or without sound) so I need a definitive answer. Or a video! :)

Please help clear this one up!

Cheers,

Henrico

The bad news: The only ST emu we currently have is Castaway. It is a bit slow on some games ok on others and certainly playable. Also the author of Castaway is not very active on GP32 anymore so an update for speed increase is questionable.

The good news: There is a new ST emu in developement called "Hatari" and its author claims it is more accurate and "fast". So full speed ST emulation may be at hand after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peronally I find Castaway excellent for most games running 100 percent speed or close to it at Frame Skip 1. They look as near as dammit perfect. Speedball 2 for example runs at about 70 percent speed on FS0 but move it to FS1 and it's a smooth 30 fps 100 percent speed. I don't have choppy sound on most games either.

I think you'll find those who have taken the time to learn to use the emulator properly will praise it very highly. I don't mean this as disrespect as castaway is more complicated than most emulators for the GP32 and some prior knowledge of the ST or a similar system helps.

Put simply if you like the atari ST then the emu is plenty good enough to warrant buying a GP for. Then you can have all the other cool emus, games, mp3 players, ogg players, avi players, demos and homebrew etc as a bonus :)

Cool. I still have my ST with 100 games (can I somehow get them straight to the GP32?).

The games I'd be playing would be:

Supercars 2
Speedball 2
F1GP
Stunt car racer
Midwinter 2
F-19 stealth fighter

Damn... minds gone blank... :)

rcx21000 posted on Aug 26 2004 at 05:43 PM said:
AFIAK Atari ST is basically 99% (some games like sensible soccer won't work, but most do). Other emus (GBA/SNES/GEN) are choppy.

fGEN32 isn't choppy (with 156 or 166mHz), but there's no good sound yet (acctually almost no sound, as it's not fully emulated)

Henrico posted on Aug 26 2004 at 08:21 PM said:
Cool. I still have my ST with 100 games (can I somehow get them straight to the GP32?).

The games I'd be playing would be:

Supercars 2
Speedball 2
F1GP
Stunt car racer
Midwinter 2
F-19 stealth fighter

Damn... minds gone blank... :)

For the most consoles you can buy tools for converting your games to roms, I'm sure you can find someting on the internet (sorry, I don't know anything about the ST...).

Thanks. Does anyone have a video of themselves playing on the GP32, preferably the ST emulator so I can what its like? B)
That would be awesome.

Back