Is it just me or armel/arm repos are a mess?

Okay .. as I thought (don't have a working Pandora at the moment to check this out ..)

Last edited by a moderator:
torpor -- no working pandora? you had 2? (both got LCD rot, or you're away?)

Pointing to official repo would not get you additional packages, but woudl let you do firmware updates to latest 'hotfix level' with ease (and wouldn't need SD.)

Really, theres 3-4 things at play..

1) official repo for firmware updates <- makes sense

2) repo for random packages <- not something OP can handle; got enough on plates without managing 10,000 packages :) ... for .next firmware, should be able to lead them from Angstrom anyway

3) official 'extras' <- codec pack, maybe java pack, that sort.. stuff that can't be in official firmware, but common enough that we should have it

4) app repo <- maybe milkshake's repo could have a opkg repo on it, so folks could pick and choose apps to install via opkg as well

So ED needs only support (1) and (3), which he already does I think.. just config option?

Right now, our conf goes to Angstrom, so other packages can be gotten.

It woudl be cool to set up both repos (Angstrom and OP) with OP taking precedence, or something?

jeff

I'm really interested in #1 and #3. The App repo, not so much - but I really want to stress how important I think it is that the base OS image be usable with the opkg tool, out of the box. As far as I can see (and I am very rusty on this issue now), all thats needed is to put the config for #1/#3 in the base OS from the start, and to allow access to the repo for those who want to use it - I'm talking mostly about those of us who want to use the Pandora base Linux OS as an environment to work in (installing compilers and so on..)

And both my Pandora's are dead because I've ruined their NAND's with all my bodgy hacking. I shall return!

you broke your pandora nand? i didnt think that would be possble so soon , i though you could get millions of i/o before you wore the nand out.

I think he meant he has to reflash because he has messed up the image ;)

yeah, but a reflash takes all of 3 minutes :)

Yep, I think we agree its a case of #1/#3 ..

EvilDragon -- do you know how to get the firmware builds pushed onto the opkg index? Sounds like thats the question. We really need several indexes..

Firmware default shoudl include 'current live' package set

Users could maybe hit a setting script which would add 'alpha' or 'beta' config to opkg, so they coudl track hotfixes alphas if they so wanted

Aftger base firmware is working, we can worry about the firmware-additions (codecpack etc).

So is this back to ED's court, os torpor helping sort out how to push OE builds into index (main, alpha, beta streams)?

jeff

Skeezix, seems like you hit the nail on the head. How to get the built pkg's into the repo index ..

(Yeah, my NAND is full and I really don't want to re-flash, but recover it somehow .. so I have to figure out how to mount the NAND, delete a file, and so on .. I'll get it sorted soon enough, but until then I guess I'll boot from SD ..)

Our opks already ARE there as normal feed, the build server automatically creates them when I make an update.

Just don't know how to properly set up the config on the Pandora to use our feed with highest priority and others with lower.

ED, the repo priorities are set in the arch.conf file .. you can put the Pandora repo at higher priority than the Angstrom one, and it should "just work" ..

ED, the repo priorities are set in the arch.conf file .. you can put the Pandora repo at higher priority than the Angstrom one, and it should "just work" ..

I'll try that.

Does the old Angström repo still exist?

Well, just checked it, but it doesn't seem to be that easy.

There is /etc/opkg/ which contains all config files.

Inside that directory are the following files::

Code:
arch.conf

omap3-pandora-feed.conf
base-feed.conf
opkg.conf
debug-feed.conf
perl-feed.conf
gstreamer-feed.conf
python-feed.conf
noarch-feed.conf

arch.conf seems to be the file which sets the priorities, that's clear. Which has higher priority? Lower or higher number? Couldn't find anything about that on the internet.

The content of arch.conf is:

Code:
arch all 1

arch any 6
arch noarch 11
arch arm 16
arch armv4 21
arch armv4t 26
archv5te 31
archv6 36
arch7 41
archv7a 46
arch omap3-pandora 51

Okay, there's omap3-pandora in there, so I guess the source of that is in omap3-pandora-feed.conf, right?

I can fix that one, it should be

Code:
http://openpandora.org/feeds/unstable/omap3-pandora/

But where does it get the armv7, etc.-Feeds from?

It's a bit confusing.

Basically, I want to set it up like that:

High priority feeds:

http://openpandora.org/feeds/unstable/omap3-pandora/

http://openpandora.org/feeds/unstable/armv7a/

http://openpandora.org/feeds/unstable/all/

Lower priority feeds:

The default Angström ones.

So, how do I set that up in the config files?

Wow, this stuff is documented beyond badly. Angstrom heroes probably know the answer, but all I could find in the opkg wiki is:

Q. Does opkg have a feature similar to APT pinning?

A. Yes you can define priorities on the architecture field (the second field in a feed definition) in /etc/opkg/arch.conf
A sample of how that would look and how it works is probably asked too much. Couldn't find the code that parses arch.conf through the google code web interface :(

Wow, this stuff is documented beyond badly. Angstrom heroes probably know the answer, but all I could find in the opkg wiki is:

Q. Does opkg have a feature similar to APT pinning?

A. Yes you can define priorities on the architecture field (the second field in a feed definition) in /etc/opkg/arch.conf
A sample of how that would look and how it works is probably asked too much. Couldn't find the code that parses arch.conf through the google code web interface :(

Tried the same, didn't find much as well...

I don't know and haven't tried, but I did look at the files. The numbers in arch.conf remind me both of nice and of xorg.conf.d/ files ("wacom-50", etc).

If that's true, lower numbers are higher priority. Then, in the .feed file of the same name as a line, it says "src/gz http://..." and the link to the repo.

So you could add new .feed files with a src line, then in arch.conf add a line with the name of the feed and the priority number.

You might still want arch all and arch any as 1 and 6, I don't know. It seems to go from general down to more specific.

Again, I have no arch experience or prior knowledge of these files, these are just guesses based on what else I've seen before. Hope it helps.

Back