Is It Possible To Raid0 Sd Cards With Pandora?

zevdawg said:
You probably wouldn't see any performance boost off of software RAID (which is essentially what you'd be doing - but software RAID usually needs an onboard RAID micro-controller) given the hardware. If anything, RAID1 (mirroring) - but still - no. Just, no.

You may want to consider running a SPAN via LVM across the SD cards (even that may depend on the device/OS, but it *is* running Linux so it's possible - moreso than RAID).

==Edit 2==

Also, as far as adding additional storage, that USB port is dual purpose :) You could add additional storage if you wanted to... I was actually just pondering the possibility of using a physical hard disk on a hub (out of sheer curiosity, one wonders if a SWAP partition would do anything) for when I don't have it on the road.

That's the thing with having what is essentially a portable gaming computer :D

Nothing saying it can't be done (as long as there is support for said "thing").

ugh, so the SDIO controller most likely isn't capable of RAID? HDDs are just not feasible for this sort of application, first power, some of them require more than the standard. Then there's the "real" USB 2.0 speeds, ~30MB/s. Did I mention the HDD that's like 75% the size of the Pandora? Absolutely unacceptab*head crash*
Class 10 isn't even a standard. Looks like Pandora is bound to mediocre bandwidth.

Last edited by a moderator:
ferg said:
zevdawg said:
You probably wouldn't see any performance boost off of software RAID (which is essentially what you'd be doing - but software RAID usually needs an onboard RAID micro-controller) given the hardware. If anything, RAID1 (mirroring) - but still - no. Just, no.

You may want to consider running a SPAN via LVM across the SD cards (even that may depend on the device/OS, but it *is* running Linux so it's possible - moreso than RAID).

==Edit 2==

Also, as far as adding additional storage, that USB port is dual purpose :) You could add additional storage if you wanted to... I was actually just pondering the possibility of using a physical hard disk on a hub (out of sheer curiosity, one wonders if a SWAP partition would do anything) for when I don't have it on the road.

That's the thing with having what is essentially a portable gaming computer :D

Nothing saying it can't be done (as long as there is support for said "thing").

ugh, so the SDIO controller most likely isn't capable of RAID? HDDs are just not feasible for this sort of application, first power, some of them require more than the standard. Then there's the "real" USB 2.0 speeds, ~30MB/s. Did I mention the HDD that's like 75% the size of the Pandora? Absolutely unacceptab*head crash*
Class 10 isn't even a standard. Looks like Pandora is bound to mediocre bandwidth.
Fairly much so.

No the most that SD cards do is Class 6 (there are no cheap 'Class 10' cards, if they were, they're probably lying), and I'm sure the 32GB cards that are truly rated as such (CL6) are fairly on the expensive side (~$200ish). That second bit was my own curiosity, but I suppose I shouldn't derail the thread and stick to the OP :rolleyes: (no, it doesn't do much good for portability, but I'm only doing so to see if 'it can be done' for desktop use, not portable use)

ferg said:
It isn't as black and white as that. Several manufacturers are producing 'class 10' cards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDHC#SDHC
Kind of like wireless specs, the official usually follows the actual. How long were we all using 802.11g and 802.11n before the respective specs were 'official'?
Class 10 simply means that the card has a minimum write speed of 10MB/sec.

zevdawg said:
No the most that SD cards do is Class 6 (there are no cheap 'Class 10' cards, if they were, they're probably lying), and I'm sure the 32GB cards that are truly rated as such (CL6) are fairly on the expensive side (~$200ish). That second bit was my own curiosity, but I suppose I shouldn't derail the thread and stick to the OP :rolleyes: (no, it doesn't do much good for portability, but I'm only doing so to see if 'it can be done' for desktop use, not portable use)
How cheap is cheap and where did you get those #s? Are Patriot, Sandisk and Toshiba all lying?
NewEgg shows a 32GB Patriot class 10 card for sale for $105. The review I saw showed 12MB/sec write and 20MB/sec read - so, not too bad.
NewEgg has class 6 cards are around $90.
Amazon has the 'worlds fastest SDHC card' Sandisk 32GB Extreme III for $193.99. In theory this card could spec at SDHC class 30, but THAT class doesn't exist yet.

pelrun said:
I honestly don't know what problem you're trying to solve here... :rolleyes:
('mediocre' bandwidth is NOT a problem, 'unable to do XYZ because of throughput issues' IS)
The problem being solved is:
How fast does an SDHC card need to be to max out the bandwidth in the OpenPandora console such that the SDHC card is not a bottle neck?

Sphinxter said:
Merely foolish.
Speed is foolish? Optimizing components in a system is foolish? OK. Enjoy your Vic 20.

No, those prices aren't bad... and I agree with you for the most part (I was trying to be sarcastic). I should have thrown "knockoff brand" somewhere in that post though if I wanted to get anywhere with that point :unsure:
(was a late night)

Back