Is it possible to run Android emulator on Pyra?

I don't really know either. I was just responding to Ted's post with an updated link that seems to still be relevant. What little I do understand of Android suggests that it would allow some android apps to run, but whether it'd run at the same time as other X apps I don't know.
Thanks for your reply.
Is there anything as simple as an emulator (i.e. MAME for arcade) to run Android apps on Linux?

Am i right that android apps can be written in java for the dalvik vm, or also use C/C++ 'native' code? Called NDK. So would these not work with myriad alien dalvik?

That's not an android emulator, that's a fork of google's android emulator as provided by google to run it's aosp (android open source project) OS on computers I assume. It doesn't state the target os, but it seems to be made using qemu, and I'd expect that to run fine on the Pyra (although a magnitude slower than anything than anything that runs chunks of things natively, in my experience). Also, I don't know off hand what's missing from aosp versus stock android; I'd expect various binary blobs to be missing which might well mean various animations run slower, but I don't know what else it broken. Someone who runs the replicant or other offshoots of aosp on their phones might be more familiar with what's not there.

Does Pyra's CPU support virtualization extensions? And I mostly want it for my Square Cash app and Telegram's Secret Chat feature. Not games.

I've run QEmu on old x64 hardware without any virtualisation extension to poke at stick at. It still runs, and in my experience not significantly slower than it does on cpus with all the latest bells and whistles. I was disappointed on how well it runs on newer hardware to be honest, although I don't know how much that's down to me trying to run that on a windows computer.

Does Pyra's CPU support virtualization extensions? And I mostly want it for my Square Cash app and Telegram's Secret Chat feature. Not games.

Agreed. Something like this running on the Pyra would have applications outside of playing games. I have a few work applications (BlackBerry Work Android Apps that I have to use) that I would like to get running under a sandboxed instance of Android on the Pyra. Something like this might just be the ticket.

Ideally, something like this should also have a virtual CPU throttle. I would like to, for example, contain the Android sandbox instance to something like:
-No more than 0.001% of 1 CPU core when not in foreground.
The idea is to keep a lid on Android without actually shutting it down - theoretically alerts and message notifications should still filter through. Flip it back foreground though and speed gets 'back to normal'.

Similarly, it would be good to have a user adjustable RAM cap for the Android instance.

Ideally the Android instance would see a specified set of Debian folders as if they were: Device storage, SD card storage, USB storage.

OK, so - it's a wish list...

Back