Is It Worth It?

Tactical Fart

Still Fresh
I about to order this thing and I just want to know if the device is worth $200.
And is there a good site I can buy it from?

yes its worth it and to get it go to gp2x.co.uk ,their the best

yes its worth it and to get it go to gp2x.co.uk ,their the best
I tried once. I live in the US and during the checkout process, I couldn't find a way to pay in USD and not Pounds (I think thats what that symbol means).

All of the above, not so much homebrew though.

Does 35Mhz make a difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, if you want to get an unit with a high overclock potential without paying a ridiculous high price, you better not order from gp2x.co.uk.

If you order there and don´t shell out the extra money, you´re almost guaranteed to get a gp2x with only 260 MHz or less.
Order from GP2x.de or Playasia, its a bit of a gamble how high your gp2x can overclock, but chances are good you´re getting an unit which can do at least 275 MHz. I got two gp2x´s from gp2x.de, one did go to 300 MHz, the other one to 285. Plus they have the best service.

Well, back to the original question. If you´re interested in homebrew and the emulation of 8 and 16bit consoles such as NES, Genesis, NeoGeo etc. the GP2X is for you. Video Playback is also very decent (better than most PMPs). But it will never have as many good commercial games as the PSP and NDS.

1) Well worth it.

2) extra 35mhz purely depends on how much you value the extra cost. If you're scratching to afford it, then it's not that big a deal. If you have plenty to splash around, then it's a nice addition. Be aware though, it's not as simple as 240mhz vs 275mhz. The "240mhz" one *may* still go up to anything below 275, even 270mhz, it will be purely random. By the same token, the "275mhz" one may actually go up to 300mhz if you're extremely lucky. So the variation you're paying for could be anything between an extra 5mhz and 60+mhz.

3) In the US, you may want to check out play-asia to order from, it will be much cheaper. gp2x.co.uk is extremely reliable though (not that play-asia aren't).

Alright. I getting one... Just not tonight.

P.S. The symbol I was talking about did mean pounds right?

Definetly worth it. As for the overclocking, my unit barley goes up to 250, but I don't feel like I'm missing that much. I could care less about PSX emulation because of the huge ISO size and that it will probably never be perfect.

If you live in the US, get it from a US dealership, not from UK. Why pay those high taxes for?

- Alex

I like my GP2X, but I don't really think it's worth the $180 I paid for it. i would've like a little more emulation support (SNES, Neo Geo games running at full speed with sound).

I think it's remarkably cheap for what it is. I payed £125 (that's a pound sign) for it, but if I knew how much use I'd get out of it, I would have easily payed £175. But then part of the draw was that it was soo cheap (I'm sure it was about half the price of a PSP at the time).

Neo Geo is fullspeed...

Aye, she is. And she's a marvelous creature, with her metal slugs and her king of fighters and her twinkle star sprites.

I would also note that a LOT of SNES games are fullspeed these days, as well, especially if you overclock. The only one that I have real trouble with that doesn't use crazy chips in the cart(The Ninja Warriors) doesn't even run fullspeed on my PSP set to 300Mhz(haven't tried with it at full blast yet), so it's a pretty tough game to emulate.

Be aware though, it's not as simple as 240mhz vs 275mhz. The "240mhz" one *may* still go up to anything below 275, even 270mhz, it will be purely random.
I'm thinking that the 240Mhz ones won't go much beyond this. If the 275Mhz are ones that have been tested and found to be working at this speed, the ones that are not are the 240Mhz ones.

What I'd like to know is, are the 275Mhz tested versions good with the MMU hack?

My GP2X does 260Mhz without using the MMU hack and only 245Mhz with.

Is it worth it?

Well, if you want 100% GBA or PS1 emulation then no.

If you want Movies, eBooks, MP3s, Genesis/MegaDrive, PcEngine/Turbografx-16, NeoGeo, MAME, SNES, NES, SMS, Gameboy, Atari 2600, Amiga, Atari ST, Atari 800/5200, Commodore Vic-20/PET/Plus/etc., Hexen, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Descent II, Rise of the Triad, Nethack, and a bunch of others I'm drawing blanks on then a resounding YES.

If 3D graphics and WiFi are important, get a PSP; otherwise drop the $200 and get the most entertainment you can fit in your pocket.

I spent $180 USD on my First Ed. unit and have not regretted it even once, even though I barely had the money to spare at the time.

Alright. I getting one... Just not tonight.

P.S. The symbol I was talking about did mean pounds right?

yes, but ive ordered from there a few times, and no problems, i payed around 400 but i got the 2x, a 2 gig sd card, a case, tv out and quick shipping...(later got the ac adapter from play asia) but its wierd how you got problems...but as an alternative do go through play asia, their very good

What I'd like to know is, are the 275Mhz tested versions good with the MMU hack?

My GP2X does 260Mhz without using the MMU hack and only 245Mhz with.

That's really interesting, and I hope they do test those units with an MMU-enabled program.

My unit runs at the same speed stably with the MMU hack applied, no difference. Does anyone else share slaanesh's problem, or is it an isolated incident?

what kind of shipping did you get? (cause it should tell you, i belive their standard is 4 t o12 day shipping or something) when i ordered the PSU from them it came in like 4 days, it might be different for the 2x tho

Back