Is Pandora stronger than a OQO?

soulanger

I found this a while ago. Somehow I fell in love with it. :oops:
I recall the openpandora.org claims that its the strongest handheld out there.

How powerful is it?
It is by far the most powerful handheld in the world both in terms of raw CPU power and 3D graphics capability, it will be able to handle things such as Firefox3 or Quake3 with ease.

The OQO is suggests it is able to run vista at full speed, and it runs like a laptop.
It has similarities with pandora, if I say so myself.

The biggest disadvantage of OQO is the price, $1,200-$3,000.
Pandora is only $356, when I preordered it.

OQO Site: http://www.oqo.com/intl/

So, is Pandora stronger than a OQO? :)

Theres no way the pandora is as powerful.

I think they mean't handheld gaming device.

yep. Handheld usually refers to gaming devices like game boys or PSPs and such, the pandora is not the strongest UMPC

This question is extremely difficult to answer. In short: It depends :wink:
The oqo tries to squeeze a desktop into a handheld, which has certain drawbacks, like battery life, overheating and is overall much more expensive, because the x86 world as a whole isn't meant to be portable.
The Pandora is based on new technology, that is meant to be portable, so the design considerations are completely different. Efficiency is the main rule. 10 hours of battery life and heatsink-free design come in mind. The pandora won't heat up, and there won't be a fan blowing at you :)

That badboy is huge. wow. did anyone look at some comparison shots?

it would be very interesting to do a weight/volume/price to power ratio study on the umpcs in the current market. You would have to do it off benchmarks I guess but I bet the Pandora would beat them in most categories and win hands down in price to power ratio. In my option, the is no better deal out there.

PoisonedV said:
Kyosys said:
Well, have you seen what it can do?
if you are going to buy that, why not just get a laptop?
Amazing that you would ask that, because mayn ask the same thing about the pandora.

Because it fits in your pocket. I wouldn't buy it myself, though. Way too expensive, but I wouldn't mind getting one for free :D

Kyosys said:
PoisonedV said:
Kyosys said:
Well, have you seen what it can do?
if you are going to buy that, why not just get a laptop?
Amazing that you would ask that, because mayn ask the same thing about the pandora.

Because it fits in your pocket. I wouldn't buy it myself, though. Way too expensive, but I wouldn't mind getting one for free :D
the thing weighs a pound, and ive seen videos of people using it, its ridiculous.

soulanger said:

How powerful is it?
It is by far the most powerful handheld in the world both in terms of raw CPU power and 3D graphics capability, it will be able to handle things such as Firefox3 or Quake3 with ease.

Time to put a few rumors to bed. I've been following the UMPC market for a few years, i'm not a expert, but the claim that the OQO is the post powerful handheld in the world, is a load of <insert graphical picture of a bull taking a dump>.

When your looking for the most powerful UMPC's, your looking at the Samsungs Q1 Ultra with a Core Solo U1500 1.3ghz or the Sony UX Series with a Core 2 Solo U2200 1.2ghz.

The OQO is running a VIA C7-M 1.6Ghz. While its rather energy efficient for a x86 cpu. If i remember correctly, at 1.6Ghz, the C7M is using 8 Watt!

UMPC Portal reference

Also, you need a fan to cool the CPU, because of the heat output. A fan = more power draining. Unless they want to burn the CPU out, or cook the users hands...

Expect to see 1.5hour of usability. One of the main reason i never got a UMPC. Almost all of them have a 1.5 to 3h max usage. In other words, also expect to carry a spare battery around all the time.

Same with the 120GB storage. What they forget to include, it's 9/10 chance a 1.8" 4200rpm drive. Trust me, they are slow! Tried one a few months ago, and if you like to see a directory list build up so slowly, that you have time for a coffee ... And by comparisons, they use a nice amount of power. One of the reasons you see the push to SSD's in UMPC's more & more.

Graphic capability's on UMPC's? Lets not go there...

Sure, its nice to see 1GB memory, but if you think about running Vista? Even 1GB is going to be slowing the OS down. That's about the same as using a not optimized Ubunuty ( see the first Ubunty movie as reference ) on the 128MB Pandora. It's going to eat most of the ram, turning any applications to useless because its swamping all the time.

And yes, then we are not talking about the price tag. For that amount, you can probably buy 2 or 3 Pandora's, with six 32GB cards. To put it in simple terms, Pandora has been seen running FF3 already. Dev's talking about the possibility of running Doom3, not Quake3 as the best it can probably run.

Btw: i love this quote:

I lock my OQO2’s speed to 400MHz, always, it still gets very hot during hot summer days. I can imagine those who run their OQO2 at 1.6GHz and use tablet (CPU/RAM eater) are simply asking for a ticket for repair.

When your looking for the most powerful UMPC's, your looking at the Samsungs Q1 Ultra with a Core Solo U1500 1.3ghz or the Sony UX Series with a Core 2 Solo U2200 1.2ghz.

Don't forget about the Raon Everun Note, it is the only dual core umpc out right now. Plus it has ati graphics.

There are many nice devices out there, I read reviews all the time, because I'm interested generally in those devices. The Pandora is by far the best overall deal currently available. Nothing is more important than battery life. When you need it most, the battery will surely be depleted and you will sit down near the next wall socket. A fast Notebook or PC at home and a Pandora on the go is all you need.

gerd said:
There are many nice devices out there, I read reviews all the time, because I'm interested generally in those devices. The Pandora is by far the best overall deal currently available. Nothing is more important than battery life. When you need it most, the battery will surely be depleted and you will sit down near the next wall socket. A fast Notebook or PC at home and a Pandora on the go is all you need.

What i'm interested in, is how many hours the Pandora can run using "normal" desktop activity's. Because the 8.5h test in the past, was running the core @ 500Mhz, full speed. So, how many hours can it run doing normal web browsing, email checking etc for instance?

But, most of the UMPC tests/usage is done using those normal desktop activity's. I think that there are very few UMPC's who can let there CPU run full speed, and last longer then a hour...

Hell, how many hours will the Pandora last doing something like playing Chess? Where there is more idle time, then calculation time. One more month, and we will find out. :)

MonkeyChops said:
Don't forget about the Raon Everun Note, it is the only dual core umpc out right now. Plus it has ati graphics.
Didn't they have to recall them all?

not all but some yes. But they are now offering a version with ssd. If they come out with one that has 2 gigs of ram I will HAVE to buy it.

benjiro said:
soulanger said:

How powerful is it?

Time to put a few rumors to bed. I've been following the UMPC market for a few years, i'm not a expert, but the claim that the OQO is the post powerful handheld in the world, is a load of <insert graphical picture of a bull taking a dump>.

I hate to be the guy telling you this, but that quote is from openpandora.org and about the pandora, not the OQO

Back