Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• Dont care.

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've been sceptical myself about all the emulators, until I saw GPEngine, later Frodo and finally Castaway coming to us...

The Genesis is a system comparable to the Atari ST (main processor: 68k).
The only problem is that the Genesis has an additional graphics processor, the Z80.
But that shouldn't take up too much processor power.

The Amiga, too, has an 68k processor, but a lot of additional custom chips.
That's why you even need a pretty fast PC to emulate it... in my opinion: not possible.

The SNES will be hard to emulate at full speed - I'm not really expecting one...
But if it gets even close to 100% I'm happy, since I mostly play RPGs where you don't need
a high framerate.

The GB/GBC/NES CAN be emulated full speed without any frameskip.

I think, the GBA CANNOT be emulated full speed... but, well, it's an actual system, I wouldn't want
one because it will be most likely be used for illegal reasons.

So, I guess all the emulators which would be interesting CAN be done!

Oh, and one final note to mangax:
I'm in the emulation scene since a long time.
In fact, the first emulator that I used has been A64 on an Amiga... that was 1991!
Since then I tried all the emulators I could get. I remember being baffled when I saw Zelda for the
SNES running on my 486 with about 1 fps.
And I even can remember the first version of Nesticle...

But I still say: There is no system 100% emulated! Most emulators for the PC today get probably a whopping
99%, but 100% is still impossible.
I can't remember exactly which games, but I'm pretty sure I have some ROMS which don't work on any
emulator.
I still remember Star Tropics 2 for the NES. This game is only playable since last year (with Nester being the
first emulator running that game), and that's about six years after the NES emulation scene started...
So, give the emulation scene for the GP32 six years and see what'll it become...

This conversation has taken a wrong turn, and perhaps it’s because I haven’t been clear enough.
  • I’m not downing emulation, or a handheld system that is capable of emulation. In fact, the concept of a handheld emulator is the very reason I became interested in the GP32.
  • I’m not saying that any particular system sucked, nor that Nintendo is better than Sega, etc. What I am saying is that different retro gamers have different interests and classic favorites.
  • One issue that I was hoping to make clear is that the GP32 is not suited for all people, or even a large group of people. This system is, however, ideal for a select, small number of people.
  • There’s also a lot of misleading information concerning the GP32 (as I pointed out already) and my goal was to hopefully persuade people to recognize the short-comings of the GP32 (seems impossible though). Even the readme in the SNES9X emulator stated:
    New in this version 0.64a
    - Release cancelled
    - 100% speed (by popular request) :)
    - 100% sound (yeah, it sounds good now)
    I even read testimonies stating that TurboGrafix16 emulation was perfect, which is simply not true.
I’m not the type of person who shows bias-ness towards anything, nor do I let my feelings for something shroud my reasoning. The only reason I used the PPC vs. GP32 argument was simply to compare “Function, Versatility, and Price.” … and the reason I use these for comparison is because the GP32 is touted as a multi-function, multimedia system. The closest thing to compare it to is the PPC.

Therefore, I considered numerous elements …
- Current emulated systems
- Storage capacity
- Overall function
- Processor speed
- Ease of use
- Aesthetic quality
- Weight
- Size
- Graphic display
- Cost
- Available software
- Battery life/usage
- Overall value

The GP32 is superior when it comes to Battery life, Weight, and Ease of use (when used for gaming). Yet, once one factors in all the other elements (plus the fact that a 300 MHz PPC can be purchased for less than a GP32 once the average sales and rebates for the PPC market is considered), one can easily suggest which holds the greater, overall value

If something means so much to someone that they are willing to curse and demean anyone who displays objectivity, then that’s their choice. I wish the GP32 had been everything that I read and hoped it would be – unfortunately, it didn’t work out that way.

I’m usually not one to spend so much money on something that I know so little about; however, it seems that I can use this reminder to help reinforce my skepticism in the future.

I’m not the type of person who shows bias-ness towards anything, nor do I let my feelings for something shroud my reasoning.

Can hardly agree with you there, considering your previous comments Concerning the GP32 vs PPC. like the one below :blink:

… And the nice thing about having the PPC over the GP32 is that you don’t look like a dork playing it on the subway.

Doesn`t sound unbias to me.

The GP32 has NOTHING emulated well yet, even the GameBoy and NES Emus run like crap for crying out loud (unless you’re simple minded enough to find joy with Atari games).

As aready stated before, You obviously haven`t tried the right GameBoy and NES emulators. As for the Atari emulator/games, I assume you mean the Atari ST, Thats the whole point of emulation, Playing older unavailable system games. <_<

How long has the PPC been available, Or to be more Precise Windows CE, oooowwww, Since 1996. The GP32 has only been available for what, Just over a year. Hardly enough time for it to be up to the standard you expect considering the lack of exposure the system has had to endure, Especially with no financial muscle behind it.

Yet, once one factors in all the other elements (plus the fact that a 300 MHz PPC can be purchased for less than a GP32 once the average sales and rebates for the PPC market is considered), one can easily suggest which holds the greater, overall value.

Not everyone is entitled to rebates as you so put it, Because not everyone lives in the usa.

Trooper

The Z80 was a sound processor, not a graphics processor :D it was a graphics processor for the master system.

I feel like I'm beating my head against the wall ...

Let me try to explain this once more, and try not to over analyze it this time ...

I said
... the nice thing about having the PPC over the GP32 is that you don’t look like a dork playing it on the subway.
This is a view shared by a majority of the population. That's why console marketing began moving towards dark colors, and systems that resemble an addition to your home theater. It's why black and silver GBAs sold better. It's why the GameCube, the XBox, and the PS2 have been designed smaller, sleeker, and darker.

trooper said
Thats the whole point of emulation, Playing older unavailable system games.
Agreed, but let me define "Emulation Enthusiast." Example:
Let's say a music store opens up and promotes itself as "The music store for Music enthusiasts" -- yet they only carry Classical Opera and Bluegrass. Therefore, they'd have no right to call themselves "The music store for Music enthusiasts" -- correct?
Thus, the GP32 is not for "Emulation Enthusiast" only "Enthusiasts for Certain Classic Game Systems."

And yes I tried all the major Emus for the GP32 before making my decision to return it. Again, the overall performance of the unit did not warrent the $244 it was sold for. Had it cost a mere $80, then I would have been whole-heartedly satisfied.

Not everyone is entitled to rebates as you so put it, Because not everyone lives in the usa.
I'm -- sorry. There's not much I can do to help you there.

Thus, the GP32 is not for "Emulation Enthusiast" only "Enthusiasts for Certain Classic Game Systems."

It IS for the emulation enthusiast. Why? No other handheld game system has as many emulators. With your logic, a PC would be the ONLY choice for a TRUE emulation enthusiast. Elitist and restrictive, no?

BTW, Mangax, did you notice the "Release cancelled" bit in that SNES emulator quote in your second-last quote? Maybe it's not so misleading after all.

1: you can get a black GP32, and who cares about the majority? The majority is a bunch of moronic MTV brainwashed lamers.... If someone thinks i'm lame i'll tell them they can just suck it.

2: Go back under your bridge to sit.

Sounds like you're doing some serious backtracking, Mangax. Why don't you just leave it? You beginning to look a little silly now. Go and play Kings Quest (snigger) or some other "great" Sierra game.

Looks like the topic is getting a little out of hand.

It's about time that i officially declared that:

gay.gif

Ahhhh much better.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back