Worried about GamePark

If iv'e posted elsewhere on the development perspective, as opposed to a users one, but i'll say it again :) If it's launched in europe, people will want to develop for it, why? Because it's virtually free. Other than PC dev (which doesn't pay a lot, and needs a lot of people) console development is EXPENSIVE. Playstation 2 devkits are £20,000 each, xbox and gcube similar. Then they cream money to let you use their media, then a publisher takes control of your baby, and takes most of the money for the privelage. Same goes for GBA, N-Gage, PSP ( and PSP, like PS2 will need big teams,and big outlay).

The development industry is crying out for a platform that allows growth, and new companies (dare I say bedroom coders, like the old home computer days). And that is the GP. Small teams, no outlay on expensive devkits, cheap (non-proprietry) media, or no media at all if you allow people to buy off a web site ( and thus no need for a publisher). It's the perfect DEV model, if it starts to sell, developers will flock to it.

Hi Kephren

yup while ps2 t10k's are expensive , xbox debug kits are very cheap (even cheaper if you bios flash a retail yerself ;) ). GC - who bothers with them anymore?
I Agree with you that the industry really needs that bedroom coder innovation we had all those years ago - I feel that no publisher would stump up say £750,000 (cheap for todays game production costs) for a GP32 game that currently that will not sell even 20k units? The only current option seems to fund the project yourself - and you're just not going to get top notch quailty this way - yeah you might get a highly polished version of asteroids e.t.c. - but nothing on a par that will compete with N&N's shiny stuff (even if most of it is rehashed crap).

You forget gamepark is doing ok in the korean market and they are fine with the euro launch a japanese company is going to release it so if that doesn't work gamepark will still be ok and still continue to work on it.

The gamepark is prob the most easy system to program for compared to most systems out now.

Gamepark will be fine even if euro market sucks. :)

besides im sure some game companys will make games for it when they find out how good it is altho they prob wont go through gamepark to sell them so i guess gamepark would lose :(

:ph34r:

Back