Worried About Build Quality!

NeoX

Still Fresh
Hi all!

After lurking on these boards for a few weeks, reading the n00b faq and all the other useful information, I decided to order a GP32 BLU unit. Now its just a matter of waiting till it gets here! (I live all the way in Holland).

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for all the useful info on these boards, it made me buy the unit, so you have made a little more money for Gamepark :D The last handheld I bought was a Zodiac, and I didnt do a whole lot of research before I grabbed my wallet, which was a major letdown because games are almost non existent for that device. I think the open source nature of the GP32 will not make me regret the decision of buying one!

There is one thing that worries me though. I talked to an online contact of mine yesterday, and he was raving about the GP as well, but he concluded his story with a disturbing sentence: "Too bad the unit was built like sh*t, they fall apart real easily". Now I am always EXTREMELY careful with all of my electronics, and I would hate if the GP32 would already look and function real bad after a few weeks or months! I trust the guy, but I am hoping his unit was just built bad!

So tell me, if I treat it good (always keep it in a carrying case when I dont use it for example) will it still be damaged/fall apart easily? What experience do YOU have with your GP32? I dont expect Zodiac sturdyness (which is EXTREMELY good) but I WOULD like GBA sturdyness.

Thanks in advance for any replies and I hope I will be able to make a lot more posts here once I get my unit (every hour passing by seems like an eternity, Im glad I paid a little more for UPS shipping, so it should be here somewhere next week).

NeoX

The Zodiac has had major problems with its sturdyness, especially its control stick falling apart. I have not heard of anybody having a GP32 that falls apart. I've had mine for over a year and its in great condition and I don't do anything special to keep it that way, it usually just sits on my printer at home.

If you treat it well, it will treat you well.
I've had no problems with mine. Just keep it in
it's case and don't throw it, or use it to dig a hole
or anything, and it should be fine.

The only crappy part on my gp32_console is the FLU button. Must have something to do with bad contacts.

BLU's don't have that button. So get yourself a gp32_console asap. ;)

Thanks guys, you just made my day, only bad part is that it is now even harder to wait for the UPS guy to bring it to my doorstep :p

thanks!

Never had any actual problems though I do not trust the control stick at all, it is very clicky.
If only they'd went with a d-pad :(....

hmm.... Could some sort of a d-pad mod work...

Hey, welcome to the boards NeoX.

Like these other guys said, I think if you treat your GP32 with care then you shouldn't encounter any major problems. And a lot of the common faults (diagonals & shoulder buttons unresponsive) can be fixed easily if anything does go wrong.

What are you planning on using your GP32 for? I highly recommend you get some emulators on there with a few decent roms...don't bother with the commercial games unless you want Pinball Dreams (available at joygp) or Her Knights (box game only). There's also some great homebrew games out there, but you're best off experimenting yourself with that one! Anyway, hope you enjoy your GP32.

Never had any problems with mine, but I have to admit I was rather surprised to see the control stick isn't quite the best build-quality there is when I first held my GP32. Luckily I haven't encountered any problems with it up to now (got it for 8 months now), but still I'm trying to be as carefull with it as I possibly can because I don't trust it for one cent.

It has already been said, but just treat it like a little baby (trusting you wouldn't drop your baby from 3 feet high :p)...

I'm from holland too,

Amd i can tell you one thing, thegp32 is not as sturdy as a gameboy,
but it is also not as expensive!

I've had one problem. I've bought an adaptor from mediamarkt wich has a long plug.

The plug sadfully acted as a "lever" when i held the gp32 on my lap.
The plug broke loose some internals of the power inlet.

When i move the plug, the gp32 chrashes.....

Remember that this is cuz of bad 3d party hardware!!

Also, i think you need to do the "crumbed paper" mashmod after a few years to ensure your direction pad keeps working....

I guess that's all... nothing unusual for such a intensively hammered machine :p

Ha, thanks, this is quite an active board I see :D lots of replies in not such a long amount of time :D

I plan to use it mainly for emulators, NES and GB and partially SNES since I know not a whole lot of things run smoothly on the latter. Watching movies will be a nice extra, and nothing more than that. Nice to know that there are more dutch GP owners, maybe we could meetup sometime?

Does anyone have bad experiences with Lik-Sang by the way?

NES, GB, tg16, sms, msx, c64, coleco are perfectly emulated, and movies work great IF you're a codec expert.

I have bough my gp32 via lik sang.
No probs at all (non lit €137,- including everything)
And my 128smc @ PC planet (29€)

I'd advice the cheapest delivery method, cuz the faster one could end up in you paying extra taxes....

(generalmx was quicker than my edit)

NeoX posted on Jul 30 2004 at 11:06 AM said:
Does anyone have bad experiences with Lik-Sang by the way?
Welcome :)
I ordered my FLU from Lik-sang a few months ago- answered all my e-mails by the next day and delivery was fast. Just oredered my BLU as well and it was shipped within a day and again all emails promptly answered, so i give them a big thumbs up.
Waiting for the UPS guy really does suck though

Last edited by a moderator:
gp seems to be very "stable" to me, and the stick isnt bad quallity, its only "diffrent" you will learn to love the stick after some time.
i would say the gp is kind of undestroyable as long you dont open it or smash it against a wall

Back