Zodiac

why do you say never? I mean if rlyeh or yoyo were to replace all the code in their emulators wih ARM coding we'd have full speed full sound emulators no probs. The problem comes when emulators are being worked on out of the kindness of the programmers heart. If they haven't the time they won't do it.

Hey, at least we don't have to pay for our emulators :p

c0ncept posted on Mar 13 2004 at 05:49 PM said:
I mean if rlyeh or yoyo were to replace all the code in their emulators wih ARM coding we'd have full speed full sound emulators no probs. The problem comes when emulators are being worked on out of the kindness of the programmers heart. If they haven't the time they won't do it.
Exactly my point, there not going to spend the time to do this, but someone who might get paid will. Thats why i use the Zodiac and the GP32 in conjunction

Last edited by a moderator:
but someone who gets paid WON'T do it because then they would have to have charged money and their they are open to legal recourse.

Point in case, the zodiac GBA emu, closed source BTW so if it does get shutdown officially well, thats the end of that. But also legal issue nintendo has with GBA emulation is aimed squarley at the commercial zodiac emu. The opensource and free gp32 one will not be touched by this at all.

c0ncept posted on Mar 13 2004 at 08:27 PM said:
Point in case, the zodiac GBA emu, closed source BTW so if it does get shutdown officially well, thats the end of that. But also legal issue nintendo has with GBA emulation is aimed squarley at the commercial zodiac emu. The opensource and free gp32 one will not be touched by this at all.
Since nintendo is on them they cannot sell the emulator, hence they decided to make it open source instead and let everyone get it for free.

mars10 posted on Mar 13 2004 at 05:36 PM said:
[I Disagree with this fully at the GP32's sound has too much high end and over modulates when pushed to its limit. The Zodiac on the other hand does not overmodulate when pushed to its limit.

DaveC posted on Mar 13 2004 at 10:27 AM said:
I do like the larger capacity SD cards on the Zodiac. 128Mb is a bit small

Thats internal RAM, there is no other device (that i know of) with 128MB of built in RAM. How much does the GP32 hold MAX? 128. Also on the Zodiac there are 2 SD slots, so if you want to have 2 1GB SD cards you can.
I ran the PC Engine emu on the Zodiac and with the volume up full I could hardly hear it. Maybe it was the emu. Mp3s comming out of the Zodiac speakers sound really tinny to me too. If the GP32 speakers distort at their limit just don't turn it up that high. I had the PCegine emu sound up on the GP32 pretty loud with no distortion.

On the memory thing what I meant was that the 128 meg *SMC* cards on the GP32 were a bit small not the Zodiac internal RAM. In other words that was one of the things that I like better on the Zodiac.

The whole gist of the post was that both systems have their good and bad points. And that the Zodiac is not the hands down winner in every way like some may think.

Back