Zodiac

Josquius

Website
www.josquius.tsx.org
I am starting to turn away from getting a GP32 to getting a Zodiac since it seems the zodiac didn't flop after all.
What advantages does the GP32 have over the zodiac apart from being cheaper and looking nicer (well I think it does :p )

its better than cheaper : everything or so is available for free (except commercial games of course)
for the Zodiac you have to BUY emu....
This is not the more important fact but I think it is enough to disguss everyone well-minded :)

see you :lol:

Well, the GP32 certainly seems like a much more developed developer base. Being able to distrubute your created apps more easily (no emailing to Tapwave for signing), no NDAs to sign, a promising GBA emulator, other emulators you don't have to buy, etc.

Zodiac is nice, but I think I'll just be getting a Zodiac to accompany my GP32 - not to replace.

Does anyone know of a place in the UK to buy a Zodiac BTW?

To be honest, there's a lot more for developers on GP32 than normal users.

The main plusses i can see for the zodiac is the added power (faster cpu, bigger ram, dedicated graphics chip) and the improved gaming ergonomics.
I suppose it really depends what your after, as far as gaming goes i dont think its foolish to assume we will have full speed snes and genesis on gp32, but if you are after psx and possibly in the future n64??? you'd have to look to the zodiac.

Zodiac could handle PSX and N64!?!
Hmm that is good in theory though the files for those games are huge and often have stuff cut out...How big is the memory on the Zodiac? Does it use smartmedia like the GP32 or what?

Ack it seems people charge money for emulators?!? I thought it was just those idiots with the GBA one...

The Zodiac has loads of whiners, see this thread about Nintendo trying to stop their GBA emu!

http://www.emuboards.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=10975

from what i've picked up from the zodiac forums, this is likely to be a handheld wide problem.
the language used suggests that all handheld systems implementing gba workings are illegal, this will spell doom for possible gp32 emus and even the yet to be released gametrac!

Josquius posted on Mar 12 2004 at 07:33 PM said:
Zodiac could handle PSX and N64!?!
Hmm that is good in theory though the files for those games are huge and often have stuff cut out...How big is the memory on the Zodiac? Does it use smartmedia like the GP32 or what?
well the zodiac1 has 32mb whilst the z2 a huge 128mb.
lcdhen has stated he plans on porting fpse to an arm based device, i believe that its doable.
N64 i was just throwing in to offer the sort of wishing zodiac users have when we talk of GBA!

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean storage memory not RAM-or is that its acutal harddrive? If so that is bad...
It looks like I'm not getting a zodiac anyway, they are not going to be available to the real world :)P) until later in the year.
One negative thing about the GP32 is its small amount of buttons which the zodiac doesn't seem to have....

Josquius posted on Mar 12 2004 at 07:45 PM said:
One negative thing about the GP32 is its small amount of buttons which the zodiac doesn't seem to have....
try mashmods.com and get them to install a psx controller into the gp32!

I know what you mean by the whiners, zodiac's crowd irritates me

And I don't know if N64 will ever be possible on that thing. I don't think it even has enough bits to do so (it's 32bit, right?). The lesser (non-flu) GP32 is up to $150 cheaper than the lesser zodiac, and the superior GP32 (FLU) is $200 cheaper than the superior Zodiac. I'd expect that the GP32's price may drop sometime soon as all these new handhelds come out. Zodiac may have some advanced hardware, but it will never have as much software as the GP32, everything has to get signed by Tapwave for you to run it. That and you have to pay for everything

Nintendo are just using scare tactics. Zodiac fell foul because its emu's are sold for profit. There is nothing Nintendo can do about open source emu's that are free other than try and shut down sites distributing them and patent law is dif acorrding to what country your in. Then could never stop an Emu anyway if was peer to peer. I wouldn't worry about it as far as GP32 is concerned.

i just got a zodiac2 today to replace my aged clie and im very happy with it. I got it not to replace my GP32 but to work alone side it. the GP Community is priceless.

I was lurking on the Zodiac board today (in light of the whole GBA thing) and its really funny seeing them dismiss the GP32 as a one trick emulator pony. Like they have a clue. It'll take two years before Zodiac has anything decent emu wise and the fact that you cant run any code on it without having a "developer license". Utter bollocks. (UK expression). GP32 is hitting its stride now, the coffee is hot and everyone else is jealous.

Memnoch posted on Mar 12 2004 at 09:45 PM said:
I watched that auction on ebay. I knew I couldn't afford it but I was curious how much it'd go for. The winning bidder was a familair name. :)
£255.01 beautiful replacement for my clie
but after playing with the joypad not a replacement for the gp32 :) my thumb keeps slipping off it although the diagonals are better

RoboJoe32 posted on Mar 12 2004 at 09:55 PM said:
Zodiac is for metrosexual businessmen,

Gp32 is for gamers.

Question answered ;)
met.roh.SEK.shoo.ul) n. An urban male with a strong aesthetic sense who spends a great deal of time and money on his appearance and lifestyle.
—metrosexuality n.

cool i think :lol:

metrosexual
87 votes

tricky term for a guy who's actually straight, but everyone thinks he's gay 'cause he's so in touch with his feminine side.

" Mik's definitely metro. I mean, he wears girl's hotpants!
Droo won't admit he's metro cuz he thinks it means he's homo, but obviously from the above definition, i'm not saying he's gay! "

ahh the wonders of urban dictionary

Back