Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• Dont care.

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GP32 has such a massive wealth of Emulated software that if production of all comercial software for it stopped tomorrow it would take you years (& years & years) to work your way though all the amazing titles it has to offer that you probably have never played before. When you've worked your way through all of them. then it may be dead to you. But you'll still be playing your movies and MP3's on it and you could programe your own games for it :) so iguess it can never truly die in the way other systems can

I have a gp32 right now, and an rather insane library of games....

...I can't even buy a tapwave, PSP, or a flying car.

Say has anyone else discovered the entertainment value of just 'trying stuff out'?

I musta loaded up over 200 atari ST compilations in the last few weeks, and a similiar number of D64 / T64 prior to that. My list of 'things to come back to and actually play' is getting rather huge.

Well, say what you will about the GP32 – But I’m not impressed by it at all (I bought a GamePark32 FLU). Sure it’s open source, yadda yadda … but so is the PocketPC. Considering that I can get a Toshiba PPC (300mhz) for a whole lot less than a GP32, I don’t think it’s worth the $244 bucks that I paid for it. Needless to say I’m getting a refund. And if you’re wondering about my price quotes.

---> ecoupons.com (Expired now)
OfficeDepot.com: Toshiba e335 Color Pocket PC $69 shipped
OfficeDepot has the Toshiba e335 Pocket PC (item 537-193) for $299 - 10% off $50 coupon (code 20216343) - $100 Office Depot rebate [Exp 5/1 copy of UPC] - $100 Toshiba Rebate [Exp 5/15 orig. UPC] = $69 AR with free shipping.
- 300 MHz XScale, 64MB RAM, Secure Digital Slot, 240x320 Color LCD
(I’ve seen sales like this before and I’ll see them again.)

---> Gbax.com
$244 for the GamePark32 FLU
(Not to mention the SmartMedia Card ($22 on sale) and rechargable batteries.)

The PPC already has Emus for about every system you could want …
The GP32 has NOTHING emulated well yet, even the GameBoy and NES Emus run like crap for crying out loud (unless you’re simple minded enough to find joy with Atari games). <_<
… And the nice thing about having the PPC over the GP32 is that you don’t look like a dork playing it on the subway.

Bwahahaha!!!

Why do I laugh maniacally? Because I'm Nutzo?

Yes... perhaps.

But also because I took the OPPOSITE rout e of the misguided soul above. I bought one of those nifty $300 PocketPC's (iPaq 1910) that can clock to 300Mhz. The idea was to use it for all sorts of stuff, but emulators especially. And it has some good ones... But... Here's the KICKER...

The emulators for PocketPC ranged from pure slow crapola, to pretty good (mainly old stuff like NES and SMS). Some you had to PAY for. And for 16bit systems the emus mostly SUCKED.

But the WORST part, the part that made me realize the GP32 was worth getting, was the controls on the PocketPC. They were fingerbustingly bad, poorly laid out and designed for empty suits in corporate offices, not humans who like to have fun. Even when an emu was good (Pocket NESter for example) the controls just made playing SUCK.

Then there's the batteries which burn out in about 1 or 2 hours when using emus because all the CPU use and control input taxes the L-ION charge to the max.

With GP32 I find the emus have better performance than PocketPC's, even tho it's supposedly "slower" and the controls are comfortable and never cause any pain. My rechargeable batteries with FLU always on, last at least 6 hours or more.

My GP32 experience has made me use my PocketPC as a PDA and little else. Perhaps that's the way it should be.

And to the guy above - show me a full speed TurboGrafx/PC-Engine emu with sound on the PocketPC. Last time I looked there was just the mighty BFE emulator that had to mash 320 pixel wide games into 240 or lose 16 pixels for 256 wide games, had NO SOUND, and still needed to skip frames and set the CPU clock down to be playable. Gee wow. And the controls STILL sucked too.

Well Manga, thats noone elses fault but you're own. As seen on here over the past few months, alot of newbies aren't willing to research the unit before they even buy it or post messages. Your 2 post tally is evidence of this.

Also if you researched and thought through you're purchase properly you would have realised that :

a) There are no decent Gameboy or Nes emu's at the moment, although the new Fnes will change this, and...

b ) What the Gp32 looks like. There are pictures, measurements and everything relating to the GP32's visual appearance, therefore you would know whether or not you would "look like a dork" when playing it on the subway.

c)The GP32 DOES have stuff emulated well. More proof that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. GPEngine runs flawlessly, as does Frodo (with a few compatibility probs), the SMS emulator is brilliant and Castaway (Atari ST) Is absolutely amazing.

Everyone in the forums and in the IRC chat are honest when it comes to what the GP32 is capable of. I have never seen anyone say otherwise when it comes to what the system is currently capable of doing or what it CAN do.

Sure, i might be getting defensive over the system, but it totally pisses me off when people do little to no research before they buy something, and then take pot shots because they were dissapointed. If you actually bothered to take the time to look through the forums and ask questions on IRC then you would have known what you were getting before purchasing it.
Not to dismiss you're integrity, but who seriously pay's for something worth a few hundred bucks without knowing what they are buying beforehand?

For anyone who is considering buying the GP32, PLEASE research it beforehand and find out whether you are getting what you really want.

EDIT:
And if what Nutzo says is anything to go buy.......there is yet another example of Manga not knowing what he is talking about.........

(unless you?re simple minded enough to find joy with Atari games). <_<
? And the nice thing about having the PPC over the GP32 is that you don?t look like a dork playing it on the subway.
Simpled minded! :angry: or do you mean 'open minded enough to give them a try'? - i was so *not* going to play ST games until i tried a few for kicks...

please!

I'm not sure jotting graffeti on a PDA isn't that dorky anyway. Still whatever floats your boat, take the refund and buy a PDA. I'm sure there's a PDA forum out there just waiting for some quality feedback from yourself ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about how your GP32's controls are, but I figured it was going to be a crosspad, not that funky joystick that is WAY too touchy (pressing down in tetris gets you down-left or down-right) not to mention that the overall case is just cheap feeling (internal light shines through the cracks).

The TurboGraphic16 emu (GPengine) is fair but the sound emulation is horrible and annoying (compared to TurboGraphic16 emus on the PC) and some games don't work at all (Bonk's Adventure 2 - Bonk's not visible)

SegaMaster System ... were there any good games for that console?? <_<

If you'd like to find out where I was mislead ... check out this review at GBAx.com which states ...

"Current emulators include SNES, Sega, Atari ST, NES, 2600, PC Engine, ZX Spectrum, MAME (only some drivers), Commodore 64, MSX, GBA etc etc. the older systems run perfectly with sound (yes, even the Atari ST) and they run at the CORRECT full resolution ..."

There was even a fake screenshot of the GBA emu.

Perhaps I just expect more for my money, especially that much money. Oh well, live and learn I suppose.

"SegaMaster System ... were there any good games for that console?? "
"The TurboGraphic16 emu (GPengine) is fair but the sound emulation is horrible and annoying (compared to TurboGraphic16 emus on the PC) and some games don't work at all (Bonk's Adventure 2 - Bonk's not visible)"

By the sounds of it you REALLY chose the wrong handheld to buy. The SMS had some incredibly fun games on it, especially platformers. And as for GPEngine, can i remind you that you are playing a handheld, NOT a PC. Sorry to break it to you but NO emulator is perfect, not for the GP32 and not even for the PC. Incompatibility problems are possibly the biggest problem with emulators, and i can assure you that if Bonk doesn't work on GPEngine, then there would also be a game on one of the PC emulators that doesn't play either. This is a fairly harsh remark considering that no emulator is ever 100% compatible, and for what it is GPEngine is incredibly playable. What were you expecting? 100% emulation for all emulators in every catagory?
You obviously dont use emulation much.

As for the GBAX review i will admit that it is very misleading, someone should contact Craig and get him to atleast change it so newbies dont get fooled. But it still stands that you based you're entire purchase on 1 review alone without researching the system.

Getting a PDA might very well be worth you're while, but like it has been pointed out, if you think GP32 emulation is bad then you will be shocked when you purchase a PDA. Let me re-enfore the fact that a PDA is mainly used by businessmen who like to check their e-mail and is therefore focused on business/personal development. The GP32 is focused as a gaming/multimedia system, and the community passionately supports this.

I think you would be actually better off with a GBA SP with a flash linker.

EDIT:
Oh and may i remind you that for the cost of the GP32 it is an incredibly fair price. You get an MP3 player, a DivX player and a system which has thousands of games emulated for it (and yes i will state that the majority of emulators are playable, many of them being fantastic). With a GBA you pay for the hardware and then either have to pay for every single game available for it or buy a decent sized flash linker which costs just as much as a GP32.
IMO the GP32 is well worth the money i have payed for it, considering i havn't had to purchase a single accessoory or boxed game since i have owned it (i did pay for the Pinball Dreams download, for the measly sum of 10 bucks).

That's my two cents....

Oh, and by the way:
The only TG16 / PC Enginge-emulator running pretty well on the PC is MagicEngine AFAIK.
But that one costs money...

Then there is Hu-Go and xPCE, which may be nice, but as they don't have zip support I can't use
them (I have no space for all my PCE-roms unzipped and - heck - I DON'T WANT IT because I just
can't understand why an emulator on a PC doesn't have zip-support...)

And xPCE is completely Japanese so I don't know what I'm doing...

I remember when I first loaded GPEngine that I was wondering why no such good emulator exists
for the PC...

AND PC emulation isn't really that good...
I had been a fan of emulators on a PC, but when I ran the first emulators on my PS2, DreamCast and
nowadays GP32, I was really amazed.
PC Emulation may be nearly perfect in many ways (compatibility, sound, etc.), but a new PC (AMD2700+ with a GeForce 4 Graphics Card) STILL CAN'T DO A NICE SCROLLING!
Playing Sonic the Hedgehog makes me sick, since the scrolling is a humpty dumpty bumpy experience, whereas it was pretty smooooooth on every console!

Well, we're getting off topic, but you should be able to get silky smooth scrolling in any PC emu. For Genesis I use Gens, and it's smooth as can be at 60fps, whether output to my TV or my various other displays. Make sure you use a graphics mode set to 60Hz. Generally triple buffering and/or vsync should also be enabled to sync to the vertical refresh. I have emus for just about every thing ever made, and all scroll smoothly. It's a matter of configuring things properly, that's all.

And GP32 r0x. :)

1: GP32 is not a pocket PC, it does not have controls that blow border collies, therefore it is not a pocket PC

2: GP32 already has better coded emus than pocket PC (try to find a good NES, turbo grafx, amiga, atari, Arcade, MSX, master system, gamegear, GBC, or S.C.U.M.M player on a pocket PC, oh that's right, it doesn't even have HALF of these functioning at all)

3: If you want a pocket PC so badly go get one and leave us alone.

4: Once you get a pocket PC and snap at least two of your fingers trying to play with the 'controls' or FINALLY get an emulator to work onlt to have the 2 hour battery die, you owe us all an apology

5: There is an actual GBA emu, the private alpha ran at 10-15 FPS without sound, I doubt it will ever be perfected, but is still impressive (It takes a good level P3 processor with a good video card and decent amount of ram just to get slightly uppity or near full speed)

6: want cheap? Just look at GBA SP, I have four words, hollowed out makeup compact...

7: If you don't LIKE older consoles then WHY buy something that emulates older consoles? Look like the kiddie needs to buy a GBA and a flash card, and enjoy the depthless trash of today.

LOL, geeze -- not like I pissed in your bran flakes man. <_<

I use the MagicEngine v0.98 for TurboGrafix emulation on the PC, and I don't know why you say it costs money because it's been released as freeware now.

I have an old HP520 PPC (about the only PPC to have only 256 colors) and it runs NES and Original GameBoy emulators at almost full speed (As far as SNES or anything else goes, forget it). I'd be impressed if they'd at least pull that off on the GP32.

I'm an emu enthusiast, and have been for some time now. In fact my first console was PONG, followed by an Atari 2600 (Sure, they were intertaining when I was 8-10 years old, but not now).
So when you say that there's not a single emulator that is 100% perfect, I can't help but laugh.

Here is a list of emus that I've not yet encountered a game that they won't run 100% perfectly
(most of these greatly improve on the origonal with graphic enhancements, sound filtering, etc) ...

NES - NNNesterJ - v0.23 or FCE Ultra v0.93win (Not to mention Famicom disk support on both)
GB, GBC & GBA - VisualBoy Advance - 1v.5a
TurboGrafx 16 - Magic Engine v0.98
SNES - ZSNES v1.36 (Yes even Stunt Race FX and Doom run perfectly)
CPS1 & CPS2 Arcade - Kawaks 1.45 (Any game that is listed runs flawlessly)
NeoGeo Arcade - NeoRageX 0v.6b (Any game that is listed runs flawlessly and then some)

As far as Sega or the lower end systems go, I could care less (About the only good game on the GameGear was Columns, IMHO).

Emulation of the first generation of Sierra games (SpaceQuest 1 & 2, etc) runs perfect on my PPC as well, although I'd like to see support for the latter generation Sierra games (SpaceQuest 3, Quest for Glory 1 & 2, etc).

You talk about poor gaming controls on the PPCs, and I'll readily admit that it's akward, but I also think that the Psudo-Joystick on the GP32 is just as much of a pain if not more. Sure you can eventually get somewhat used to it, but everyone that I've let mess with the GP32 says "This joystick sucks" or "it's too freakin' touchy."

Perhaps I should've gone with a PPC to begin with, I'll admit that I fell victim to impulse buying. Besides, I just like having a weather page, voice recorder, drawing pad, note taker, dictionary, library, headline news, jukebox, game system, and emulator (with a built in lithium ion battery which lasts between 8-12 hours) all in one unit. Not to mention that there's a LOT better game titles out there made for the PPC than for the GP32 (Snails is a good example).

In case your curious as to this claim, take at look at PocketGamer.org.

Bottom line, if the GP32FLU cost 80$, I'd not complain a bit, because that's about all it's worth.

lol, of course pocket pc is better than gp32. just like pc is better than any console out now. but consoles and handhelds are made for gaming...and dont say that the emus for gp32 suck, cause they dont. Its just you didnt try them all yet. The new fnes is going to rock, and genesis is comming along too. The ports are working good too, doom and wolf3d run great. Yes gp32 has downsides, but so does everything else.

And if you like pocketpc so much then you shouldnt have bought a gp32. My recommendations are to sell your gp32 on ebay, and go to best buy and buy a good palm pc, compaqs make some powerfull ones. I almost bought a compaq 400mhz a while ago.

Folks, don't buy the bull about PocketPC being better than GP32 - it's not. I have 2 PocketPC's. Yes it has some good games, the guy mentioned Snails for example, which is my favorite PPC game (it's like Worms). In fact, I emailed the company that makes Snails and asked for a GP32 version.

But for arcade action games and emulators, the GP32 is far better. As for his problem with the GP32 stick, I think him and his friends are just weird. It's the same controller as NeoGeo Pocket Color, which was the best controller I ever used for a portable system. The NGPC took a little time to get used to IIRC, but once you did you realized it's superiority. Compared to the cross pads on GBA etc., the GP32 stick is godly. If you hate the GP32 stick, you just suck. That's my opinion - don't like it, then ignore it, but that's what I think.

PocketPC's are not viable replacements for the GP32. They are very different and very good in their own way, but they really have a different focus. For stylus oriented strategy and adventure games they can really excel. For PDA uses, they rock. I'm glad I have mine, but for pure entertainment, the GP32 is my system of choice and I have no problems using it in public - I don't get people who actually think playing games on something metallic and shiny is somehow more mature than using something that is plastic. You are still playing GAMES. That sort of thinking is immature, not using one machine or the other. I'm proud to be youthful enough (in my 30's) to play games in public - just proves I'm far from dead yet. ;)

Doom runs ok on the GP32, agreed ... although the joystick get me going in circles at times.

Doom has been emulated on the PPC for a long time now, not to mention Quake.

Quake on the GP32 would be hard to port if not impossible. Quake makes extensive use of Floating Point Processor code, something which the GP32 lacks. Most PPCs on the other hand have a FPP.

I assume you've seen TombRaider, and the many other 3D games for the PPC that have been released?

If the truth be known, I worked with Randall Schleufer, Dan, and Jaybot (after Snails had been out for some time). The project was a true-3D, isometric view, game engine. My job was concept design and texture artist for a possible game type that the engine could be used for (Gauntlet-ish). The engine was showcased at the 2002 expo in Hollywood, CA ... unfortunatly, Randall and I didn't see eye to eye on things. I was not being paid for my work until after we obtained a sponser. Microsoft showed interest and Randall turned down the first good offer, and made demands that they'd never agree to. I stated, "Screw this" and haven't spoken with him since. Although I do keep in touch with Dan (who is an amazing programmer).

The point of the matter is that I've seen (to the fullist degree) what the PPC is capible of ... which is about 5 tiers above what the GP32 will ever hope for (ex: 3D reflection mapping).

Mofokubik
...and dont say that the emus for gp32 suck, cause they dont. Its just you didnt try them all yet. The new fnes is going to rock, and genesis is comming along too.

I'm only basing my ratings on emus that currently exist -- not what it'll be like in it's next release. Let's cross that road when it gets here.

Anyways ...

I came ... I saw ... I'm getting a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back