Is The Gp32 Realizing Its Potential At Last?!

dazmanultra

Over the last few weeks/2 month the GP32 has more or less exploded. Some absolutely wonderful home brew games have been released, as well as the beautiful OpenSNES, puzzle mix, KOF '91, some amazing Doom WADs and even gravity force among others. Even the updated GPcinema in the form of Moviepark has been a great addition!

Yet further still there is more to come - faster SNES and mega drive emulation and even more home brew games/ports/remakes!

Right now is a great time to own a GP32!

dazmanultra posted on Feb 7 2004 at 12:50 AM said:
...Even the updated GPcinema in the form of Moviepark has been a great addition!
I thought GPCinema was an updated version of MoviePark, not the other way around.

You're right though, it has been a great couple of months. For me the highlights were GPDrive and Yogg, and OpenSNES9x impressed but I do not really think SNES will ever get full speed with sound on GP32 as the Dreamcast hasn't managed it yet, although a few games are very playable. I was also quite taken by Balkatoid as I am a bit of an Arkanoid fan.

The Doom WADs do look great but I am saving them until I have finished off Doom 1 and 2. I did try the Final Fantasy one, but couldn't figure out how to end the second level.

So what would I like to see in the next few months? A new version of Yogg, fZX, and a playable, saveable Mega Drive emulator would be good. Who knows. That is part of the fun with the GP32 scene, new things come along and surprise you all the time. That GPCat thing was quite funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
WhizzBang posted on Feb 7 2004 at 01:12 AM said:
...Even the updated GPcinema in the form of Moviepark has been a great addition!
I thought GPCinema was an updated version of MoviePark, not the other way around.
That's what I meant. :D

I wanna see a phone module for the gp32. they should make it in some sort of competition so the coders could get sometin out of it. only if i new how to code

You're right though, it has been a great couple of months. For me the highlights were GPDrive and Yogg, and OpenSNES9x impressed but I do not really think SNES will ever get full speed with sound on GP32 as the Dreamcast hasn't managed it yet, although a few games are very playable. I was also quite taken by Balkatoid as I am a bit of an Arkanoid fan.

The Doom WADs do look great but I am saving them until I have finished off Doom 1 and 2. I did try the Final Fantasy one, but couldn't figure out how to end the second level.

So what would I like to see in the next few months? A new version of Yogg, fZX, and a playable, saveable Mega Drive emulator would be good. Who knows. That is part of the fun with the GP32 scene, new things come along and surprise you all the time. That GPCat thing was quite funny.
Snes will be full speed on gp32, if gba can have a decent speed snes emu coming out shortly, im sure it is completly do able. I also have no dought about it being full speed on the zodiac also.

gp32animefreak posted on Feb 7 2004 at 03:13 AM said:
Snes will be full speed on gp32, if gba can have a decent speed snes emu coming out shortly, im sure it is completly do able...
I hope you are right, but I suspect that is wishful thinking. The GBA is a different thing altogether, along with the coders who are developing for it (from what I have heard, they are a clever ASM bunch).

The GBA NES and SMS emulators do not compare too unfavourably with the GP32 equivalents despite it being a far lower powered machine, and the GB and Spectrum emulators are actually better (the GB emulator on the GBA isn't full screen but it seems exactly like the games should be in terms of speed and sound - I base this on playing Bomb Jack on real GB hardware, GBA hardware and GP32 and the GBA comes out closest to the orginal GB).

I've been inside the SNES DC scene for about a year now, and I'm quite sure that it will be able to manage it sooner or later: DreamSnes was lacking in updates for about a year (up till about a month ago, when everyone suddenly gave up on the project). However they seem to be making an open source SNES emulator now which -will- have full speed sooner or later because the coders are devoted now :)

the problem with the DC brew scene is to me that a lot of coders that don't play the DC a lot want to port their stuff on the DC; everyone gets excited and then some of them just give up because people just keep buggin them about it... maybe that scene has just overgrown itself?

anyway, I like the GP32 scene far better :) (as I usually play commercial games on my DC :p)

Q-Wi-Q posted on Feb 7 2004 at 07:03 AM said:
I've been inside the SNES DC scene for about a year now, and I'm quite sure that it will be able to manage it sooner or later: DreamSnes was lacking in updates for about a year (up till about a month ago, when everyone suddenly gave up on the project). However they seem to be making an open source SNES emulator now which -will- have full speed sooner or later because the coders are devoted now :)

the problem with the DC brew scene is to me that a lot of coders that don't play the DC a lot want to port their stuff on the DC; everyone gets excited and then some of them just give up because people just keep buggin them about it... maybe that scene has just overgrown itself?

anyway, I like the GP32 scene far better :) (as I usually play commercial games on my DC :p)
Yup, x gp32 coder scherzo is making the pure c open source snes emu ready for updating by anyone. seems to be doing well :). im certain that most games will be full speed with sound at some point. obviously not stuff like mario rpg and star fox, but deffinately most of the rest of the stuff imo.

Back