Is The Gp32 Scene Ending?

Status
Not open for further replies.

christo930

I noticed the pdroms coding compo entries were shown today and not a one was for gp32. Are the devs loosing intereset and moving on to greener pastures?:(

Chris

All hobbyist scenes ebb and flow.

There may be a period of weeks where cool new apps are released one after the other. And then a few weeks of lingering excitement follows.

But after that people start noticing nothing new has come out recently, and they think the scene is dying.

It's not.

A homebrew scene like the GP32 (and Zodiac etc.) depends on the free time of a few talented and generous people. So you have to realize they can't produce new apps every month, nor even new versions.

The scene will be "dead" when everyone's GP32 stops working. Until then it's probably going to be here for a very long time.

Just look at the hobbyist scenes that stiull exist for the very oldest home computers and game systems, like the Atari 2600. People are still playing those systems, and still producing software for them. And those systems came out in the _1970's_. ;)

So have faith in the GP32, it's still a baby in the grand scheme of things. =)

You realize how [sarcasm] good [/sarcasm] it makes the devvers and other contributors to the community feel when people say things like this...

Don't get so stressed Blah -
I'm a newbie - and while newbies are still joining people should disregard negative comments and just reply in a positive manner.

I've seen your posts before so you're activly encouraging everyone else, please do the same again.

Or where you just using double sarcasm - which I didn't get? :D

regards Tarka

PS I really need a Picture, don't I?

I'm not stressed out, I'm just saying that's kind of attitude that makes scenes end (I haven't really seen a scene end though, they linger on forever). :)

I don't think GP32 scene is ending :rolleyes:

In a short time we will have two big competitions where is expected that there will be lots of new (or at least improved) games.

I think coders are reserving their projects to show on the competitions to surprise us :D

Regards.

I was preparing a game for PDRoms compo, but ran out of time trying to implement a scripting engine for the levels. I guess its ok to show a screenie then huh? I'm still developing it BTW, just slowly. I'm also busting my ass for the next compo - I much prefer a PSP to a BS to :p

Game is inspired by 'strikers 1945 II' on MAME. All graphics (apart from title screen - bg image is a screenie from MAME) are my own.

strikers_001.jpg

pea posted on Apr 25 2005 at 09:21 AM said:
I was preparing a game for PDRoms compo, but ran out of time trying to implement a scripting engine for the levels. I guess its ok to show a screenie then huh? I'm still developing it BTW, just slowly. I'm also busting my ass for the next compo - I much prefer a PSP to a BS to :p

Game is inspired by 'strikers 1945 II' on MAME. All graphics (apart from title screen - bg image is a screenie from MAME) are my own.

strikers_001.jpg

That looks great. And that's exactly the reason this topic shouldn't exist.

The scene is far from dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back