Is the Oculus Rift doomed?

I think his point is that we will become recluses if we don't go and meet real people.
Again, the same thing has been said pretty much every time new communications technology comes along.
But supposing it's true, suppose large portions of the population take to realistic online interaction. Would that really be so bad? Get a hug from your girl friend who is visiting her parents over seas; live meeting with investors from a foreign country where you can draw on a virtual white board and hand out digital samples of your product; play board games in your friends basement even though you're scattered, or maybe you're just sick.

Who decided that face-to-face interaction was the epitome of social interaction?
Get a hug? are you serious?

The reality decided that face-to-face are epitome of social interation since all the virtual interaction are just fakes of real interaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, the same thing has been said pretty much every time new communications technology comes along.
People have also equated every new technology to aliens or government conspiracies. The difference here is that it is a real concern that has a possibility of happening.

But supposing it's true, suppose large portions of the population take to realistic online interaction. Would that really be so bad? Get a hug from your girl friend who is visiting her parents over seas; live meeting with investors from a foreign country where you can draw on a virtual white board and hand out digital samples of your product; play board games in your friends basement even though you're scattered, or maybe you're just sick.
I'm not saying it would not be useful, or even advocating against it. But you have to admit that this increases the risk of more people becoming like those who get hopelessly addicted to WoW or Second Life. Don't try to write this off. I know someone who had to undergo therapy for his WoW addiction, and he even had a relapse not so many years back. These kind of people do exist, and the ease of technology increases the amount of people who are likely to fall into this pattern of behavior.

Who decided that face-to-face interaction was the epitome of social interaction?
Honestly, that seems to me like common sense. There are a lot of benefits of online interactions, sure. But let me ask this:

Which would you prefer? A hug from your girlfriend in person, or one in VR?

-God Ginrai

Don't try to write this off.
I'm not, I just don't see why it should be a concern. What do you care how people prefer to interact? If two people are more comfortable chatting in their respective lounges rather than going to a bar who are you to judge?
Some people will prefer in person, some will prefer VR. Some people just don't like touching, some people have physical or emotional problems, some people may just find it easier. My personal preference is irrelevant, I can't dictate how others should feel. Some people will have never met their girlfriend if not for VR and due to circumstances may actually never get to meet them face-to-face at all. Is there love any less because they having exchanged the same air?

Some people will prefer in person, some will prefer VR. Some people just don't like touching, some people have physical or emotional problems, some people may just find it easier. My personal preference is irrelevant, I can't dictate how others should feel. Some people will have never met their girlfriend if not for VR and due to circumstances may actually never get to meet them face-to-face at all. Is there love any less because they having exchanged the same air?
I don't judge or care about what other people do, but what is dangerous is words and amalgams. For exemple a "hug" on internet isn't a hug. You talk about them like it's the same things while it isn't at all. This process create insane people who don't know the difference between reality and imagination and live in their imagination believing that what they imagine is real.

Oh great, more easy workarounds that prevent people from actually motivating themselves to solve their problems...

Always choosing the easy way is so great and it's getting easier all the time.

I don't judge or care about what other people do, but what is dangerous is words and amalgams. For exemple a "hug" on internet isn't a hug. You talk about them like it's the same things while it isn't at all. This process create insane people who don't know the difference between reality and imagination and live in their imagination believing that what they imagine is real.
Yes, it's all a lie and people are losing the grasp on what is real and what isn't more and more every day.

BTW: http://www.xkcd.com/352/

(Float your mouse over the last pic, there is additional text.)

I think what he is trying to say is that someone who spend a lot of time on VR or online doesn't necessarily mean he will lose a grip on reality and ruin his or her

life with it.

Easy isn't necessarily bad.

imho, everyone should be free to do what he/she want's to do, as long he/she does no harm to others.

that said, of course being self-destructing, *is* often doing harm to others, because humans are empathic and need each other, reallife or vr.

so caring is really key, online *and* offline.

I think his point is that we will become recluses if we don't go and meet real people.

From what I understand, "get a hug" would involve touching. In fact, without "touch" your examples become a bit less exciting. Can't touch the product, can't touch the board game pieces/tokens/etc.

http://xkcd.com/632/

Maybe with this VR thing and way more advanced bots, you'll never be able to find out. :wacko:

I also don't like the idea of completely blocking one's sense of vision. Blocking out sound is one thing, and even that makes me feel uncomfortable at times, but vision ... :unsure:

Wonder how long until the first serious accident to due use of VR tech happens...

I think what he is trying to say is that someone who spend a lot of time on VR or online doesn't necessarily mean he will lose a grip on reality and ruin his or her life with it.
That it doesn't necessarily lead to it, yes, that this argument has been presented a lot over the last 100 or so years and simply saying it does not make it true. Just as the post didn't destroy society, telegram didn't destroy society, telephone didn't destroy society, television didn't destroy society, email hasn't destroyed society, texting hasn't destroyed society, and skype hasn't destroyed society. None of these things are face-to-face interaction, and they've been fairly well accepted despite complaints at basically every step along the way that the new technology would reduce human interaction and lead to global catastrophe or something. The argument that somehow VR will be different, that unlike all the past technological advances that could have spelled disaster for society this one really really is a danger that we need to watch out for, it just doesn't fly. It's arbitrary.Some people get addicted, yes, that is a fact. People will get addicted to a lot of things. There are people addicted to books that will skip meals and sleep to finish one or several, being exhausted and hungry the next day. By the same reasoning we should start touting the dangers of books.

I never claimed that VR would be different. I claimed it would increase risk. That's what personal computers did. And it certainly isn't a false argument.

-God Ginrai

Well, one thing is for sure ... VR will be a very powerful medium for people to get what they really want ... ;)

imho, everyone should be free to do what he/she want's to do, as long he/she does no harm to others.
Someone who write "*hug*" want a real hug because he write it, so he doesn't do what he want by writing it.

By lying that "*hug*" is some kind of real hug, this person will tend to not realize his real wish because you justify his weakness which prevents him from doing what he want.

So what WizardStan are writing is very bad because that enchains people while pretending release them.

Well, one thing is for sure ... VR will be a very powerful medium for people to get what they really want ... ;)
the technical problem to solve here would be one with the force/feedback, i guess. ;)
but when playing 360° doom, better turn it off! :-O

I have a feeling this will affect Kickstarter projects in the future more than it will hurt OR.

I was being hyperbolic to make a point.

Yes facebook aren't as evil as either the Lehman brothers or Monsanto but they're still pretty damn evil in data mining everyones life.

Here's a quote from Zuckerberg himself

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard

Zuck: Just ask

Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?

Zuck: People just submitted it.

Zuck: I don't know why.

Zuck: They "trust me"

Zuck: Dumb fucks
People choose to join Facebook, and if their data is mined to make money by the site, then it's the fault of the person if it's in the terms they sign. No one forced them to be a drone. They've accepted the role openly to be part of the herd.  :(

Also, ever notice in interviews how unconfident Mark Zuckerberg looks actually? The man appears to be on the edge of a full panic attack. Nothing worse seeing someone who doesn't believe they deserve their success. 

Someone who write "*hug*" want a real hug because he write it, so he doesn't do what he want by writing it.

By lying that "*hug*" is some kind of real hug, this person will tend to not realize his real wish because you justify his weakness which prevents him from doing what he want.
yes its true, a written 'hug' is not a 'real hug'.
it's just a word, describing an physical action, which is not possible via written text.

i think its mostly a geolocation and/or shyness problem to not do this in the physical realm.

but i can imagine a lot of real huggings began with a shy text via letter or email.

Back